1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Or rather if one is, neither mod team will admit it.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Pfft.. I don't think either is better, just different ways of going about balance.
  4. stuart98

There you go, proving my point! ;)
  5. squishypon3

I don't believe they plan to add many, it's not a game of catch up, it's just that they would prefer to add as few extra units as they can. (Until those expansion pack things happen)
  6. stuart98

Anyway, interesting point Scathis had, but it isn't too relevant. While it may be a matter of opinion, that doesn't mean that all opinions are created equal.

[​IMG]

Imagine if I asked people if this turquoise was more blue or more green. You'd get answers on both sides, but a majority would be blue.

The same case would occur if you asked people between (Insert balance mod here) and the Uber balance which was the better balance.

I already did this, I'll attach the results below:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...hRlVncN_CzAhRWqlYAZaI6-rw/edit#gid=1619467623 Out of 14 responses, 9 said that they disliked Uber's balance direction.

I would say that the opinion with more validity in these cases is the one that the majority sides with. The sample size is low and biased towards forum users, who tend to be more vocal and critical.

I propose the following to get some more useful results:

Why not put a survey in the next version for the thousands of steam users to use about balance, what they like, what they dislike? The results should be fairly informative.
  7. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

There are probably thousands of steam users who haven't even seen T2. :p
  8. stuart98

If Uber tracks stats then they could only show it to those who have 50 or more games under their belt.
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Well they fix them different ways. One with higher unit count and more equal power between units, the other by repurposing and balancing existing units.

I just hope, instead of us 2 total mod teams, we will eventually have little independent unit mods that we can all use together. I started trying it, but realized single unit additions are hard to get to work with other single unit additions.
    Also, I think they want to keep each individual section of mod seperate. Starting with balance because everyone has raging passion for it, they will also have other mod topics making a complete pack. I believe economy was one of them to come as well for instance, diverse economy and economy per planet perhaps.
  10. squishypon3

No prancing pony army? ;~;

/dreams crushed/
    cdrkf likes this.
  11. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

Damn, I really had my fingers crossed on Space Dinosaurs :(
    cdrkf likes this.
  12. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Your claim that no one said it is false.

Garat told us all units valid at all stages of the game, and then just now said that Uber isn't going by that philosophy.

Very different than your claim of "suck it all of you equalist radicalists! Power increase FTW! I always knew they'd never said anything in the direction of equal units!" and rejoicing in people not liking that balance direction.

Point is, they did said that. Then they changed their stance.
  13. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Garat may say he did, but it could very well be that his memory is flawed and he never actually said it. :p
    The peril of second-hand information.

The only time I recall anyone saying something to that affect was Scathis saying that all units should be useful... but it was later clarified that he meant a unit only viable in early game could still be considered useful. That was in early beta.
  14. Devak

Devak Post Master General

As far as i recall, the statement was made with "all units should be viable at all points of the game" not "shall". This was also way back before there was much game to play. It was also an answer to how T2/T1 will uphold and Uber's thoughts about it.

It's a statement of an ideal, but it's clearly being taken as "the truth and nothing but the truth".

For the past month or two, "T1 OP" and "T2 OP" threads have been alternating their position at the first page of the subforum, so i'd say you're pretty close on the money.
  15. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

[​IMG]
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  16. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Why would we need to catch up?
    squishypon3 likes this.
  17. byte01

byte01 Member

As someone who is more on the fence of giving you guys the benefit of doubt and playing GW quite frequently I ll say, that with the current balance the gameplay is quite dull. Get a couple tech cards and face roll, or don't get those cards and restart.

Considering the state of the balance, the frequency of updates and the quality (regarding balance) of changes per update I am a little bit worried.

Also having the restart every 3rd game cause the UI stops working (F5 not working anymore) is becoming frustrating, but that's another topic I guess.

I also would love to hear what plans you have refining GW, in its current state it is way too much yay or nay.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  18. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

As you would know if you've taken even a fleeting glance at our design document, we intend on adding the fewest number of units possible to achieve the best balance with the vanilla game assets. This is very important to us for a number of reasons, king among them to keep the lowest barrier to entry as is possible; we don't want to overwhelm new players of the mod.

We've got a pretty good idea of the 4 units we intend to add to the base game; units that are sorely needed to give some semblance of parity between the various different factories, and three of them are already in game and (mostly) functional.

The last one though?.. that's going to be more complicated.
    zweistein000 and squishypon3 like this.
  19. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Scathis, let me be brutally honest: I'm going to gut this argument. I'll use specific examples and personal experience in-game. I don't want you to be alienated - rather, I'd like you to keep an open mind here, as this is coming from one the better players - and I'm not just good at 1v1s. I can hold my own and even win against ANYONE in ANY mode. Even when outnumbered. That should tell you that I know how to play all aspects of your balance. I don't have this experience with RCBM, or Statera.

I'll continue the rest of this in a PM. It's just too long for anything else, and I want this to be a personal thing between you and me - we both are passionate about the balance in this game. Let's have a discussion about it.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  20. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Mered, make sure you mention the astreus. Its in desperate need of awesome.
    brianpurkiss likes this.