1. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

Thus stating that it was In My Opinion. There are tons of features that are needed, but in an RTS the meta and balance are king. I also think the ladder is important, but less so that the games balance itself. Would love Gas Giants, but understand that is more code work as the framework for how that works along with the games meta and balance is a much larger task. Same with any new features, whereas T1 and T2 exist and atm it is a numbers game. The only problem I have with modding to balance the game out is that it won't reach a larger audience easily and leave the main game in a gimped state of T2 being just upgrades of T1 that almost entirely invalidate your T1 army if you don't tech up fast enough. It isn't a choice right now, it is an arms race.
    stuart98 and lokiCML like this.
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

One thing I'll be proving on the 16th is that even if your approach isn't totally broken, the one we want is less broken.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That's fine, but will they keep playing until these things go live? Or will they lose interest first? That's the point I'm making here, not that people have left already, but that post 1.0 they will leave before what could be consider obvious features are implemented.

My Concerns deal less with about what is capable and more so about things like overall Mod visibility and more, I've started a new more focused thread over here to continue this conversation in.

Mike
    lokiCML likes this.
  4. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

O GOOD MORE POPCORN MATERIAL

[​IMG]
  5. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Yes, that is exactly my concern. We'll see what happens and I hope its the best outcome.:)
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well gota say it- I've just tried the latest PTE (been away without PC for 1 week). The jump is really impressive :)

No crashes, no wierd UI bugs, game is running quite smooth and more notably *maintaining* it's performance throughout the game. Also Sorian's AI is getting harder and harder (played a 1 v 1 against Absurd AI, I won but I really had to work for it, previously It'd take 3 or 4 hardest AI's to give me the same challenge).

The new UI updates are lovely, overall the game is feeling really good.

Personally I don't see the issue with you guys pushing the button on release- so long as other people are getting a comparable experience to mine at any rate.

I agree that there are lots of things that would be good to get in (aren't there always?) however people also conveniently forget that TA, Spring and SupCom FA were developed over a prolonged period of time. None of the previous games were released with everything finished and yet they're all still played today.

I think PA is absolutely as far (if not further) developed now than any of the previous games for their inaugural '1.0' version.
    badfucatus, galaxyisos and EdWood like this.
  7. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Don't forget that release brings The Server, which is an awfully big rock. It's never had to run on random user desktops before, and may open up full server scripting - the recent comments on mod timelines make me uncertain on that point.
    lokiCML likes this.
  8. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Does it still?

Garat? Brad?
    lokiCML and stuart98 like this.
  9. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

If it hasn't been exposed to JS from the C++ code base, server access doesn't really enable a lot more than what you already get. That's why we set up our modding the way we did, and hence my earlier post about modding. Building a comprehensive library of API calls, ways to easily let people find and share mods, etc is all work that has to get done - it won't just be there because you have an executable.

If it's compiled code, you don't get access until an engineer has the time to write the Javascript handler. :)
    wondible likes this.
  10. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

As a long-time Uberite, I'll add this.

Yes. This sounds all fine and dandy. Transparency is a good thing right?
    The issue is that when things change, we get our feet held to the fire and it blows back in our face.

We've had it happen. Remember when we promised 3 DLCs for MNC and only did 1? Yeah, it was because of business issues we had trying to get them funded and it didn't work out. (You can read the Polygon.com article about us if you want details.)
    We still hear from upset fans about how we didn't deliver those last 2 DLCs.

So, I hope you can understand, we can't be 100% transparent because it's a lose-lose situation for us.

ooshr32, Quitch, corteks and 2 others like this.
  11. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

This is the kind of thing we were looking for. This combined with Garats post gives us some idea of what lies on the road to 1.0 and slightly beyond it. Thank you Uber.
  12. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

So, if Uber Entertainment were a diamond it'd be SI1?
    Diamond_Clarity_Chart.jpg
    EdWood likes this.
  13. scathis

Interesting analogy.

Wait, are you saying we're a diamond in the rough? Aww. Thanks!
    :D
    eroticburrito, cdrkf, nhac and 2 others like this.
  14. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

Hmm...maybe we could turn the whole thing around a bit.

You cannot know for sure what will be in the 1.0 release for example.

But I am quite sure that you know some things that the community is demanding that WON'T be in the 1.0 release for sure (we already know some but I am sure there is more).

So, if I am e.g. hoping for editable commands and more advanced build queues like in Supreme Commander and you are not going to implement those, I would be happy with a plain "nope" or "we are going to improve the user interface some more but we don't know how many features we will be able to implement".

So you don't make definitive statements about what will or won't be in the game but you give us some more idea of what areas you focus on and what things will be something you take a look at after release.
    lokiCML likes this.
  15. overwatch141

overwatch141 Active Member

If PTE has what 1.0 will have how about offline mode?
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

The server will be released for offline mode, don't worry, they said there's still more features to come. That was a just a general idea. Brad even made a little list! :p
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. scathis

Confirmed won't be in 1.0:
    - The prancing pony army
    - Rainbow nukes
    - Space Dinosaurs
    - Sharks with laser beams riding rocket packs
    - A balance that every single person is happy with.

Ok, I'm going back to work on the game instead of playing with you guys. :D
  18. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

Hmm...this can mean only one thing.....

BACON BIOME CONFIRMED !!!!
  19. scathis

THANKS.
    Now I'm hungry.
    Remy561, ArchieBuld, corteks and 4 others like this.
  20. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Sorry Uber, I could deal with no unit cannon, asteroid belts and even no submarines. But this betrayal of my trust cannot be accepted.
    Dropped.
    /s
    ooshr32, EdWood and stuart98 like this.