Why an in game ladder is more important now than later.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drewsuser, July 17, 2014.

1. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

To add another voice in this case:

1. Without a ladder or matchmaking of sorts this game will be no more than a skirmish simulator. You log on, play a match - and leave, because there's nothing left to do. No progression. No idea where your standing in the community is. No sense of achievement.
    2. Ladder functionality must not be added via mods. The vast majority of folks will not bother with mods. I know I don't - no matter how easy it might be; I'd like to have basic functionality out of the box without having to do any tweaking.
    carlorizzante and brianpurkiss like this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

the confirmed list doesn't mean anything it hasn't been updated in forever.

and in anycase that's the point of this thread. trying to confirm it.
    Last edited: July 22, 2014
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I just want PA to be a "thing" so there's something on TV besides every possible of variation of "kick a piece of dead animal between the sticks".
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Ok but that doesn't preclude uber simply adding in the pa stats mod into the game as a standard feature...

The point to this is whatever they do needs to be kept to a minimum. The current pa stats system is very good, so why not use it?

Then the question just becomes how do you present that in a way that is palatable and easy to user for players?

Personally I think it shouldn't be on by default, however it should simply be available as an option.
  5. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

The main idea is to give players an enjoyable experience, wether you play 1v1, team games or competive ranked games. LoL does this extremely well. You don't get thrown in the deep end but you earn experience points playing people with similar skills until you reach level 30. Each player has a hidden elo that teams them up with similar skills and competitive people can then play ranked games.

So if somebody like yourself who just plays with your friends wants to play a random you will be matched with somebody with a similar elo to yourself without having to compete as such.
    liquius and cdrkf like this.
  6. BallsonFire

BallsonFire Active Member

If Uber would implement a ladder right before release of the game the match making would still not prevent noobs playing vs pro's (better players) cause it takes time to build up stats and not every good player is playing PA all the time.

It would also not be fair if old stats that was collect a long time a go would be used, cause people like me were not aware of this. I would have played differently if I knew stats would be collected and used later on.

It is also not very common to use game stats from a beta cause of bugs and balance issues. Normally game stats are reset when the game is officially released.
    Last edited: July 22, 2014
  7. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

So without an ingame ladder for 1.0, will we get a more in depth tutorial for the new players? :)
  8. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Only if someone steps up to mod such a thing in.
  9. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Oh yeah I'm sure either way there will be a reset to any pre release ladder. I remember when I start playing FA I had to play a few games to get a more accurate ranking and played players of increasing rating. They made it pretty clear what the progress was so I seemed happy enough with it.
  10. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

You call a ladder a feature? I dont get the advantage of having no publisher??? I thought the big advantage was no forced release dates and now you want to release a game that has no ladder?
    Really is this true? I have never "paid/spent" so much money for a single game and now this... BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!
    stuart98 likes this.
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

New players don't even need to go against top 20. All they need to do is go against someone who knows how to expand, and the new player will still have 2 factories at the 7 minute mark and wonder why they lost.

A ladder isn't just about people who like to play competitively. It's also about the people who play online casually. The casual players don't want to play the competitive players, and we need a ladder for that.
    stuart98 and carlorizzante like this.
  12. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

That system is called ELO, and lot's of games use it. We even have PA stats, a mod which sends your match stats to the website where you can then get ranked and view your score.
  13. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

The resemblance is uncanny...

Hold me, someone, I'm scared.
    stuart98 likes this.
  14. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

[​IMG]

There there. It'll be alright. Brian is here...
  15. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

Please place your flame somewhere else other than this thread. You're on topic, but saying things like "Uber's hot trash for not already having this," is a smack in the face. Everybody who has played the game and is not a pirate has indeed payed their dues for the game. Deal with it. :cool:
  16. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Newbies will simply not understand how's possible to build up an army that fast, or jump into T2, and get smashed regularly.

They will assume people are cheating, writing it on forums and PA will be the cheaters' game.
    brianpurkiss and stuart98 like this.
  17. valheria

valheria Active Member

I agree.. I used one that we already got at work very recently because some prat lost his boomerang in a tree and begged me to get it down for him.
    cptconundrum and proeleert like this.
  18. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

So, basically what you're saying is that PA has been the lifeboat a sinking Uber had to jump on, in order to save themselves from going bankrupt.

Ok. Well, I wish them to succeed, and make a tons of money.

But, they're making the same very mistakes previously made with SMNC.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comme...ay_night_combat_where_did_it_go_wrong/cj3haou

Apart for the last one (abandoning the game) that was a mere consequence of the formers.
    drewsuser and stuart98 like this.
  19. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

So I am a few days not active enough to read news to the very end and then this kind of info hides at the end of them.

No ladders @ 1.0 is the one biggest worst thing that can possibly happen as far as I am concerned.

I am disappointed.

Implemented a basic 1v1 automatchmaking isn't exactly that hard. And I know what I am talking about.
    reptarking, Quitch, stuart98 and 6 others like this.
  20. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

can i put this in my sig alongside the holy @dacite? (who has the perfect name for citations, ok stop!^^)