Tournament for All

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by archcommander, July 19, 2014.

?

How many in a Team?

1. 2 v 2

24 vote(s)
    82.8%
  2. 3 v 3

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

I want to put out into the lake of players here and see what the interest is for having a tournament that isn't all the same people and is nothing to do with Stats?

So basically it would be a 2v2 or 3v3 type of tournament over a few days (and you would have to commit to being free). Everyone would be welcome but we would like to match players so no 'super-teams' are formed. If you are a known big gun you would have to pair with another less experienced player. Edit: I think shared armies should be fine, the real issue is known 'big' players should not form one team but should spread their talent out since this tournament is to give every player a chance, not just big guns.

This would be inter-clan and open to people who are not committed to any clan at all.

Anyone interested drop comments below this including your Tournament name suggestions.

Should it be shared armies?
    Last edited: July 19, 2014
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. archcommander

It seems there is interest for a 2 v 2 since a 3 v3 has been done recently.
    cdrkf likes this.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Hi, I proposed this for the weakest link. Unfortunately getting teams of 3 together proved difficult so I didn't enforce the rule.

That said there were a few discussions on how to achieve this.

The best suggestion was made by Marshall... Any big gun players would be nominated by the organisers as team captains, and paired with lower ranked players to balance things out.

I'm personally all for this. The other suggestion was to limit the maximum number of skill points (taken from 1v1 ladder) to say 6000 (for a 3 player team) where 2000 is an average player. A top player would reduce the teams remaining points requiring teaming with lower players by default. The down side to this is it's open to abuse but I guess that is a risk however you play it.
    wpmarshall likes this.
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

yes. shared armies.
  5. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

I would prefer for it not to be shared armies .
  6. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Shared army's is way better because then you can send pings and you can make only 1 teleporter each to use it etc. I would suggest to look at the 1v1 ladder, make a team of players but the number of the position on the ladder must be counted together and then it must be over a minimum. This is probably very similar to what was already explained.
  7. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

inb4 l33t teams roflstomp through most players. perhaps people enter and then are randomly assigned a partner?
    cdrkf likes this.
  8. cdrkf

That's basically the idea of team captains, all the best players are separated, and have to partner up with a player from a pool of 'normal' players.
  9. archcommander

I would like there to be that opportunity possibly too but for the most part people will not play without shared armies. Maybe if any teams want to have separate resources during the tournament that concession can be made prior to starting the game? The problem is they would immediately be at a disadvantage.
  10. archcommander

So is this a matter of someone overseeing players who want to join via checking them out on PA Stats?

I want submissions of interest and what dates will suit best (so as to avoid other big events) . Is anyone on Steam that could mention this there for those not on PA forums?

Also what numbers should we allow and what process (i.e. say if we had for 16 players 4 first games, 2 semi's then final? )
  11. cdrkf

Quitch maintains a thread covering all the announced tournament dates. If you want info on future events best bet is to talk to oath (for pace) and quitch (exodus) and also brad (on case Uber are planning anything).

Number of rounds depends on type of tourney. Personally I prefer double elimination as it gives you a second chance and only adds a single additional round. Swiss style is also good, however everyone plays every round so it can be long winded
    archcommander likes this.