New Commander Explosion

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, July 18, 2014.

1. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

A nuke will destroy almost everything near the center (which is the area the opaque smoke already obscures), but not the area around it necessarily.
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Doesn't its AoE deal 11,000 damage or something? The only thing surviving that is a commander (and I think T2 factories[and as I just realized what webster meant, vanguards])
  3. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

In the previous PTE builds, T2 Air factories survived planetary collisions(if its not on the planet thats being launched.)
  4. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

They survive nukes, yes? So we still have stuff to pay attention to if the effect lasted longer.

Edit: sniped by yourself :p
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

That's amazing. Needs a new-and-improved sound effect to go with it though.
    tehtrekd likes this.
  6. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

it looks nice, but i need more details, especially the orb at the beginning of the explosion
  7. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

I think it would look better as a wreckage of just the lower half of commander. Kinda cartoony, sure, but also demonstrates the power of explosion.
  8. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

This isn't realistic, this is awesome.
    kothanlem and brianpurkiss like this.
  9. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

We really need motion of the smoke that stays on the ground. It should spread outwards and then it kinda gets dragged back to the center. If you've seen a nuclear explosion footage, you may know what I mean. Not just the mushroom cloud is moving...everything is.

0:58.
    Notice how the smoke spreads outwards (with the shockwave) and then slowly crawls back.
  10. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Well, if we're talking about realism, the whole mushroom cloud thing is impossible without the atmosphere. I'm not even sure if we ever had a real nuclear explosion in the vacuum...
    Wilson clouds can be semi-transparent (even just barely visible). As for disappearing mushroom, you could start a bit earlier, so it doesn't look that weird.
    I never understood what kind of "realistic scale" people are talkng about in PA. If explosion was scaled realistically, it would be barely visible dot on the planet surface, because realistically planets are pretty huge.
    tehtrekd likes this.
  11. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

Awesome job! Looks amazing. Like others have said I don't have a problem with it being larger. When a commander goes boom it's kinda an epic moment . Still looks awesome though!

Cheers

-Todd
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

this is definitely a step-up.

could use a bit more smoke and clouds. maybe a blue flickering effect, to make it look like a storm is going on in there. and the end definitely needs some work.

This is a great day for PA.
  13. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

14. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Firstly, in this unfinished version of the game, you can always "accidentally" leave a few things in the game files for us to play with ;)

Secondly, what tools are used to create/test the effects? Or is it purely text based and you are a wizard?
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

You can certainly tell you put the time in, bgolus! The explosion looks great.

As far as fallout smoke goes, have you considered using a very low translucent fog? The height of a T1 Tank's tracks/Dox' waist, meaning we could see the 'firing' parts.

It would follow the initial shockwave and take longer to clear, without obscuring the battle.
    There'd even be the possibility of any ongoing battle's lighting effects interacting with the low smoke! ;)
    Could look pretty awesome...
    corteks likes this.
  16. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Woah. That would be pretty cool! Fog of war indeed.
    eroticburrito likes this.