A collector's ruin and nightmare.

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by archmagerudi, June 22, 2014.

1. quigibo

quigibo Member

That is one line that got to me. This whole thread was created because you didn't like that other people were getting the same things as you are and the fact that some people who payed more in the KS are selling their custom commanders to other players. So, yes I most definitely feel like you are acting somewhat childish. Sorry, but it is the feeling that you are giving off. All you have talked about is how you are a backer and how you deserve exclusive content.

Now tell me to clear up my confusion. Have you gotten everything that has been promised to you with your kickstarter pledge that they have released so far?
  2. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

Ok, What I have not done is read over every post. What I have done is skimmed over what I thought were prhaps the most relevant and significant points.

So, forgive me if you think I've misunderstood something or I'm repeating other people.
    In essence, I feel the complaint is valid. One example I can give is my owning the delta commander, and being a little upset by the invictus commander. Now I know the Uber guys had their reasoning and I even support the decision, I just feel at a loss because I'd have been happy spending $50 for the invictus commander instead of $250 for the delta commander. Maybe later in development the delta commander will look more awesomeness. Hint hint.

I spent the $250 though because I want to support Uber, and from that standpoint I don't regret my decision.
    On that note though, from what I understand, there was a complaint that said you had to buy all the versions?
    For example the $50 gave you X, and the $100 gave you Y. So if you wanted X and Y you had to spend $50+$100.

Based on my understanding, each more expensive package gave you everything all the previous packages did. so you only need to spend $100 for both X and Y.

If I got the key problem right, backers got extra keys, and guys who spent more money after kickstarter finished don't get extra keys. Uber aren't making money by giving free keys, but it seems dissappointing to spend $250 and only get 1 key for the purchase right? I get that, and there's no reason why they can't offer friendship discounts or something, 10% discount or something like that for people you recruit into buying the game. Maybe a free second spare key for all those cosmic editions. hint hint hint. nudge nudge.

The first issue that struck out to me though, was basically the same thing as the first point. Backers getting backer exlusive stuff. I get that it makes you upset. But as you yourself pointed out, you sent $150 on what you got, and based off what you typed, I got the exact same, or maybe similar package to you (I own cosmic edition).
    But I spent USD $250. So I spent $100 more than you, for the same thing yes?

I think it's fair to let the backers get everything cheaper, and I also think it's fair to offer everything to people who are willing to pay more.

Did I miss anything?
    quigibo and PeggleFrank like this.
  3. archmagerudi

archmagerudi New Member

Cool, would have done the same.

Good thing they did that, but still skeptical about the whole thing of making "alpha/beta" etc access a "reward" when you can just buy it later. Earlier or not.

Was not on the rewards list, guess it's partly my fault for not researching even heavier in to this, and partly ubers fault for not keeping an updated list on the KS page.
    Did they also give away the higher tier commanders to all backers?
    This really makes the labeling of the "Theta commander" as "exclusive" on some of the editions dubious., as it is far from exclusive to anything.

Don't know why you are caught up on the soundtrack. Never said it was an exclusive, I just pointed out that you can get more rewards now for less money, than you could when you backed the game at a tier that promised you a cheap game at release. Essentially making the "Back the game now , and get it cheaper than it will be at release" a tier not worth backing as it won't be cheaper, and will come with less rewards.
    Aye our judgement differs here. I mean exclusive is exclusive as per the definition of the word. And not "exclusive, but will be given out anyways in later editions at a higher price".
  4. archmagerudi

archmagerudi New Member

You s;)aid:
    Then I said:
    How does that equate to me having to read through that whole thing yet again?
    Not sure you understand at all what I'm talking about,

If something was supposed to be Exclusive to a tier of backers, opening it up to Pre-orders (orders long after the whole kickstarter and paypal backing was over) then it is no longer exclusive to backers now is it? Thus a broken promise.

This is true. It is nearing Ubisoft heights, and this before the game is even out.

Looks can be deceiving. There is a difference between getting what was promised and being greedy. Recompense is something I think is in order. As for me having the "pokemon" attitude of having to catch em all. Call that greed if you like (even though that is strictly not the correct term to use), but either way me collecting stuff is not hurting anyone.

You thinking in the lines of them having to monetize due to lack of funds? Yes that would be bleak.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I feel in the whole industry of producing stuff like games, music, etc. the word "exclusive" is heavily overused and has not as much meaning as you think it has.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  6. archmagerudi

archmagerudi New Member

Here is a task for you:

Please quote where I said I didn't like people getting the same things as me.

Because what I have been saying all along is that I don't like people getting things that were supposedly "Exclusive" to backers (which includes me).
    I have never said "people should not get the same things as me". I have said that backer exclusive items should stay backer exclusive, and since they didn't there should not be extra editions that not only gets backer exclusive items, but more.

There are plenty of people getting the same things as me, called backers. There are also people who are are getting the same thing as me even though they should not.

I'm not against people getting the same thing as me, I'm not a megalomaniac that wants everything just for me. I am however, against lies, false advertising and other such concepts.

Please quote where I said that I didn't like people of higher tiers selling their commanders to other players.

Because the only response I can find to that is me saying "Cool".

To complete these tasks you are not allowed to quote out of context.

No the child here is definitively you. Based on several reasons:
    1. You go with what you "feel" is correct, instead of what is actually correct. Thus like many children lacking the ability to be objective/subjective.
    2.You are putting words in my mouth, claiming I have said things that I clearly have not.
    3. Instead of keeping this a civilized discussion and throwing out arguments, you are throwing out insults.
    4. You say "Sorry, but" If you are not sorry then don't say sorry, (reminds me of children having to shake hands and say they are sorry, when they clearly are not). And if you are sorry, then throwing in "but" afterwards completely nullifies the meaning of that "sorry". It's like saying "I'm not racist, but I hate *insert race here*.

And no, this is not me being childish. This is me being unkind and tired of meaningless replies from you.( I would like to apologize to other readers of this thread wanting a civilized discussion, for my annoyed outburst.)

Actually if you read this thread, you can see that I have been talking about quite a range of things.
    And yet again no. I have not said that "I deserve exclusive rewards because "I" am a backer. I have that said that backers deserve the exclusivity that was promised to them. Which is not the case.
    There is a subtle difference.

No, I have not. we were promised that items would be exclusive to backers, and some of these items have not been exclusive to backers. And thus we have not gotten everything that was "promised".
    Last edited: June 27, 2014
  7. archmagerudi

archmagerudi New Member

I hardly think "other people have misused it before" is a proper justification for misusing a word.
  8. archmagerudi

archmagerudi New Member

That is ok, there is quite a lot of text here. And some of it is just meaningless back and forth that servers no purpose.

The Delta commander was never promised as an exclusive though, thus uber are free to do what they want with it without us complaining. (The Delta commander was not listed on kickstarter or paypal during the backing phase either).
    We can only hope they will re-skin it (as quite frankly from a design standpoint I see little point in having two almost identical models in a game like this).

There was no mention of the Delta commander at the kickstart campaign. Thus if you paid 50$ you would not have known about the delta commander.

I'm a bit confused to as to which one of those you mean. Did you mean you paid 250$ for the delta commander?
    , but would only pay 50$ if you had the choice? Or that you would have paid 250$ regardless to support uber, but you wish you had paid 50$ for the commander only?.

I'm afraid you got this part all wrong, it has nothing to do with getting the lower backer tiers to get higher rewards.

I'm afraid you also got this part all wrong.
    Also people who bought editions after the backer phase was over were never promised extra keys.

Not really, as it plainly said on the box of the Cosmic edition what you would get. And when a price reaches 250$ you are not paying for game keys anymore, you are paying for the extra bonuses inside.

You say you get it as if it was what I was talking about, which it is not.

They cosmic edition already got more than it should have (It got backer exclusive rewards, which should not have been in the cosmic edition), so it does not need to get even more stuff.

The first issue that struck out to me though, was basically the same thing as the first point. Backers getting backer exlusive stuff. I get that it makes you upset. But as you yourself pointed out, you sent $150 on what you got, and based off what you typed, I got the exact same, or maybe similar package to you (I own cosmic edition).
    But I spent USD $250. So I spent $100 more than you, for the same thing yes?

I spent 150$ to back the game and get exclusive rewards promised to me.
    You got some of the rewards that were promised to backers even though you did not back the game. If something is "Backer exclusive" then it should be backer exclusive, not sold again afterwards.

So they lied to us.

No you got a hardcover artbook which I don't get. I backed the game in belief that I had to do so now to get the exclusive rewards. Had I known that there would be an edition later that also included a hardcover artbook. I would gladly have purchased the cosmic edition instead. As the only backer alternative was an artbook which people had written in.
    I would still have backed the game, but at a lower tier.

You can't spend 100$ more later, and expect to get things that were promised to be exclusive to people before.

So does this mean that you think it is fair to lie to backers and say that some things are exclusive to them, only to sell it to other people later?.
    Or does it mean that you really haven't read this forum thread properly, and didn't really understand the issues within?

If all the kickstarter did was say "back this and you get all these goodies at a discount" then I would agree with you, as it stand now. Not at all.[/QUOTE]
  9. quigibo

quigibo Member

Not what I asked. If you want me to quote a non existent quote that you mean and didn't say then answer my question correctly. The way you dance around this whole topic is getting irritating. I understand your stupid point about backer exclusive (thats the only thing you seem to keep focused on), what I asked was.

Of the stuff that Uber has released so far have you gotten the things that were promised in the KS pledge that they said you would physically get? If the actual answer is yes then I really see no problem. This obsession with backer exclusive is ridiculous. The only thing that EVER can actually be limited is physical material, because it is too easy to just copy and paste digital stuff. By the way, copy-pasta is free so they can sell it for whatever they want and still get a profit.

I would much rather the devs work on the actual game than reply to stuff like this because I bought the game to play it. Furthermore, I payed extra for beta access so that I could share my input on how the game has been turning out as it gets developed (which I have). I back things to help the developers out, not so I can have stuff that others can't.

This is the last that I will say on this thread and I will not come back to it. So, you can save yourself some time and not even attempt to respond to me. I hope you have a good day.
  10. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

11. archmagerudi

archmagerudi New Member

Is that meant for me? If so then yes I know. Do they know? Doubtful.
  12. archmagerudi

archmagerudi New Member

Let me quote you:

That was what you asked. You can't add "Physically" afterwards and say you asked something else. (Well clearly YOU THINK you can).
    And since some of the exclusive items have been released, then no I have not been given everything promised. As exclusivity was part of the promise.

I did answer you correctly as per your question. Your inability to remember what you said and/or adding to things you have said. Does not change that.

So just because something can't be limited since people will either copy it or give it away anyways, means it is ok to promise exclusivity and then break it?.
    You can copy physical stuff as well, so I fail to see the solidity of your argument.

Yes because everyone at Uber is hard at work coding or testing the game, none of the people employed at uber are in charge of the community and reading/checking/answering forum posts. And what you think is irrelevant as long as it does not contribute to this topic.

Some backed the game to help developers, some backed the game to get rewards.
    Some backed the game just to back uber, some backed it just to see planetary annihilation a reality.
    Some backed it because they loved total annihilation and wanted another game like it.
    + tons of other reasons.

None of those are better people than the others.

As for me I backed the game for several reasons (listed in no particular order).
    The game looked awesome.
    I love Total Annihilation and Supreme commander (not sup com 2 though). And games that are like that instantly gets my attention.
    The whole point with a kickstarter is to get money to create the game, so if no one backs , it won't get made. Thus me backing it helped. ( I even coaxed my friends into backing it, promising that if the game sucked *** I would pay them back what they backed as long as it was within reason ( I already knew my friends would never back a tier over "just get the game")).
    Backing on kickstarter gets you rewards that you are hard pressed to find after the game is released, so as a collector this is the "best way"("best way" in quotes and debatable) for me to get most of the items.

I'l respond, as I always do. Good day to you sir.
    Last edited: July 1, 2014
  13. krypticwarrior

krypticwarrior Member

I'm just excited to get the little commander models, can't wait till they come out. This guy enjoys the simple things in life.