Idea: Let us throw planets into the Sun!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by kopig, July 15, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

The planet would literally melt before reaching the other side.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I'm not sure, don't forget how freakishly huge PA's planets are.

(Well they aren't as bad as Alpha, where a large planet is as big, or bigger, than the sun.)
  3. Geers

Doesn't stop the fusion reactions in the star.
  4. squishypon3

Well yes, but it makes the process of the planet getting eaten take a longer time.
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Yes, I know, it makes no sense. Also, the planet wouldn't melt, it would just evaporate. But hey, they're not shooting for realism, they're shooting for Awesome.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  6. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Why not?

Let's say that the System is composed by a Star and two planets.

I can imagine situation in which I would like to annihilate one of the two planets, safely keeping my feet on the other one.

The Asteroids Belt could come in help. But so far allowing to smash a planet into the Sun might be quite simplistic coding side to implement. Likely much simpler than implementing the Asteroids Belt.

Beside, throwing a planet into a Star is cool in itself and by default. Also be able to create a Black Hole to disintegrate it would be. Actually.
  7. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Yeah but I somehow doubt that the enemy will just calmly sit and let you build engines on his planet with the intent of throwing it into the sun.

Since most systems that have fully smashable planets usually require 7-10 halleys, going through with a build that big would be almost impossible, even if you managed to gain a foothold on the planet, halleys take so long to build that combined with frequent attacks and nukes from the enemy, it's simply going to be hell to attempt it.
    You're safer nuking or invading.
    KNight likes this.
  8. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

I like the idea as a way to narrow the playing field.
    You can throw away a few planets to keep people from using them. I would suggest that it should be easier to move a planet into the sun than into another planet, so make it require fewer engines for a sun smash. Or better yet, allow each engine to fire as soon as they are built that gradually pushes it closer to the sun if this is your intention. Given enough time, one halley would be all that is needed.
    With the current smash restrictions (smaller planets can smash larger planets), this will be a way to remove the larger planets from the playing field. And with the PTE collision model, it would have a small chance of crossing paths with other planets on its way. If lucky you could see epic results.
  9. emraldis

most systems I've seen need 2-4 halleys, not 7 - 10
    squishypon3 likes this.
  10. squishypon3

That would be a really funny game, like when you throw a plasma grenade into a man cannon in Halo and it hits someone in the face on the other side of the map. :p
  11. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

For planets?
    Huh.
    But even then, that's still a ridiculously large thing to do with another army constantly breathing down your neck.
  12. muhatib

muhatib Member

What happen if you build halley's on planet 3 and throw into the sun or another planet?
    What happens with planet 2? Stay around nothing? The moon can survive?
    Or planet 2 and 3 move together?

Névtelen.png
    "The center of mass plays an important role in astronomy and astrophysics, where it is commonly referred to as the barycenter. The barycenter is the point between two objects where they balance each other; it is the center of mass where two or more celestial bodies orbiteach other. When a moon orbits a planet, or a planet orbits a star, both bodies are actually orbiting around a point that lies away from the center of the primary (larger) body.[22] For example, the Moon does not orbit the exact center of the Earth, but a point on a line between the center of the Earth and the Moon, approximately 1,710 km (1062 miles) below the surface of the Earth, where their respective masses balance. This is the point about which the Earth and Moon orbit as they travel around the Sun. If the masses are more similar, e.g., Pluto and Charon, the barycenter will fall outside both bodies."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_mass
  13. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

If you're at the point where you're building halleys on a planet at all, you've essentially reached the point of being dominant on the planet, in which case, why would you make such a huge investment to throw resources away when you could just use them for yourself?

The only situation i see this working, is where the current smash mechanics remain of larger planets being unable to smash smaller ones, and you have the halleys as a last resort, so that if your planet gets invaded, and you know you're going to lose it, you send it sun ward to deny your enemy access to it. but even if you only need half as many, halleys are such a big investment, you could have spent those resources on units to either defend the planet from attack in the first place, or attack the enemy planet to go for the win.
    stuart98 likes this.
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

currently planet 2 will start orbiting whatever planet was the target.
  15. carlorizzante

Still I don't see the real reason why we should deny ourselves the option.

We might not need it, but it's a nice to have, and it likely costs very little in term of coding. But this will be Uber to say, they have the last word on this for sure.
  16. Geers

Yes, but there's such thing as too silly. This is exactly that.
  17. emraldis

Naw man. It's just awesome
  18. styx7

styx7 New Member

It is in deed a frequent request

Although, regarding the big EMP explosion I suggested in the linked post below, I think it could be actually more interesting that only the units and building which are currently exposed directly to the sun (so the daylight side of planets) are destroyed at the time a planet hits the sun.
  19. Geers

That makes even less sense.
  20. carlorizzante

I think I'll drop this one here.
    http://planetfacts.org/how-big-is-the-sun-compared-to-the-earth/