Re-Name The T1 Tank, Receive An Invite To Cloak And Danger

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, July 10, 2014.

1. donut64

donut64 Member

You can argue anything about the T-34 it seems.

I wouldn't call myself a "Tanks Enthusiast" or "History Expert", but I would say I "approve of armored combat" and support the use of AFVs.

From its very introduction, the T-34 was an inferior vehicle to its German equivalent, the Panzer III. If it were not for a mishap in the German armory that caused mis-armament of the Panzer III, the T-34 would have been even more inferior. While when loaded with the proper ammunition the F-34 gun on the first models of T-34s might have been the best anti-tank gun in the world, anti-tank ammunition was not even standard on T-34s when first introduced!

Another HUGE problem with the T-34 was its extreme inaccuracy, caused by poor sights and poor crew accommodations. On paper the T-34 was efficient, but the way the Soviets approached that war showed blatant disregard for the lives of the T-34 crewmen, and thus their effectiveness in combat. You have got to consider the effects of inferior crew accommodation and poor logistics capabilities of the tank: It had an extremely unfavorable loss ratio compared to US, British, Nazi and even Italian tanks at the time. The only (major) nation that fared worse was the Imperial Japanese Army, and that is because they were refused the ability to produce adequate tanks.

Maybe the T-34 won the war, but it didn't win the war through being an effective vehicle. It won the war through being cheap enough to swarm the enemy through superior numbers; even then, the cost of production of a single T-34 could have been put to much better use. Consider the weight in steel of the T-34 was more than that of the Panzer III, and they used effectually equal steel.

But do I ignore what the Nazi armies in the Soviet Union themselves said about the T-34? Perhaps; they did remark about how shockingly powerful the T-34 was, and the Soviets had no remark for the same about the Panzer III. The statistics of the matter indicate this: The T-34 was just barely efficient enough to win the war. The T-34-85 was a little better, but not much. According to the numbers that I have read in "Achtung Panzer" [english version], if the Nazi armies had an equal number of Panzer IIIs to the number of T-34s, the Soviet Union would have been completely swamped. Big issue with this happening in real life is that the German factories at the time also produced Panzer IVs and a ridiculous amount of aircraft. And beginning in 1942, they became under daily bombing raids. Contrary to popular belief, the Panzer IV was mostly unsuited for armored warfare and was pressured into the role when it became clear that a 75mm gun was needed, thus the Panzer III's 5cm gun was obsolete.

But like I say, it seems you can argue anything about the T-34. If in some alternate history scenario the Soviets captured and were willing to mass-produce modified Panzer IIIs instead of T-34s, we could prove something if we were somehow inter-dimensional beings able to cross-compare the results.

sources: I've already cited "Achtung Panzer".
    Also I'd like to cite this video:
    Said video describes the situation in which the Panzer III was mis-armed with a short-barreled 5cm gun instead of a long-barreled 5cm gun, leading to the defeat of the Panzer Brigades in almost every front.

This discussion is of course about naming the T1 tank. I personally like the name "Shoe".
    Last edited: July 15, 2014
    vyolin, lapsedpacifist and Jaedrik like this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Quantity has a quality of it's own.

As long as a unit does it's job, the problems don't matter.
  3. donut64

donut64 Member

Indeed, but the T-34 was dangerously close to being incapable of performing its job.
    On a unit-per-unit basis, it definitely was.
  4. ktorange

ktorange New Member

Maybe call it the Soldier, because it is your basic soldier on the battlefield. (in tank form but whatever).\
    If this wins, I don't want to get an invite. I would rather not be annihilated for all of twitch to see.
  5. DAEEMON

DAEEMON New Member

I would call them Ocelote in thoght of the Leopard tank just smaller ^^
  6. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

FINIS
  7. slicedbreadman

slicedbreadman New Member

I would personally like the Firefly to be called the "Canary", the whole canary in a coal mine reference seems very fitting for the unit roll

I also like the "ER" suffix trend on all the vehicle names, so something the following would be cool like
    T1 Tank : Thumper
    T1 Scout : Ambassador, or just Skitter
    T1 Flame Tank : Incinerator
    T2 Vanguard : Desolator

Anywho thats my ยข2 on PA's Unit names :)
  8. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

I like ancient names like:
    Legionnaire
    Spartan
    Cuirass
    Hussar
    Lancer

And also:
    Mauler
    Tiger
    Lion
    Prowler
    Predator

I think the t1 flame tank could be called
    Dragon
  9. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

If we ever get cosmetic faction differences at some point post launch (or in a mod) using old Latin words and names would be appropriate for Legionnis Machina.

Other factions could rename their equivalent units to similarly appropriate names, like foundation using names like apostle, edict, creed, disciple etc.

the 'normal' names not tied to any faction can be progenitor names, since, y'know, in multiplayer we are all 'progenitor commanders'.
  10. coldsuit

coldsuit New Member

The Gmail

Because you can "spam" it out.
  11. ChillAAA

ChillAAA Member

Snootchie Bootchies

Because Jay and Silent Bob
    popededi likes this.
  12. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

T-08/15

A spin on the proposal by @brianpurkiss and reference to the ensueing discussion with @donut64 .