Should we still discuss balance?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by emraldis, July 15, 2014.

1. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

We all know the game isn't done, and I'm pretty sure uber's balance is only a "placeholder balance". Considering this, should we be spamming stuff about balance at every update? Or should we hold off until a 1.0 release candidate?
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think some constructive feedback is essential to ensure uber understand how the game is actually being played, so yes I think we should comment :)
    drewsuser and brianpurkiss like this.
  3. emraldis

All right, so to what degree should we be commenting? the way we have been (threads popping up almost every day), or more, or less?
  4. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

I think our balance is actually pretty close. But feel free to discuss, but on the Balance Forum.
    gtf50 and cdrkf like this.
  5. cdrkf

Well I guess uber need to know what does and doesn't work with each update. If anything I think players should be playing a good number of games to really test each balance before commenting. Also people need to try and keep the feedback as objective as possible.

That way uber can decide how to develop the balance in the next iteration, and any major problems (first itteration of t2 air for example) are found and fixed.
  6. cdrkf

Sorry double post :)
  7. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

We can`t have a full picture on the balance of the game till we have some more units added to the roster.

One complaint I do have is that the bot and vehicles classes are still not as defined as they should be.
    gtf50, RainbowDashPwny and aevs like this.
  8. emraldis

Just a question, what are your plans for the balance of the T1 bot factory? (aims, ideas, etc.)
  9. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Also stealth. I can only hope it will become an important part of the game, but if it does, a lot of balance tweaks would have to be made.
  10. masterofroflness

I don`t think uber will do full stealth
  11. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

The conversation's always good. We're close, but we want to hear your thoughts throughout now, release, and beyond.
    gtf50 and ArchieBuld like this.
  12. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

bots auto stealth? give their range and lack of sight a slight advantage by radar not detecting them :p
  13. masterofroflness

This could probably cause super problems dude
    Murcanic likes this.
  14. aevs

aevs Post Master General

They may not, but I hope they do.
    Uber has already implemented cloaking mechanics in the game:
    Code:
    "recon" : {
        "observable" : {
            "layer" : "surface_and_air",
            "ignore_sight" : true
        }
    }
    This setting is only applied to mines right now though. It would be interesting to see if there's an "ignore_radar" setting or something similar for stealth, but since no units use such a setting right now, I kind of doubt it :(
  15. masterofroflness

I mean the amount of attention players would have to bring to their base in order to make sure there planets are being raided by a thousand screaming invisible bots would bring the game to its knees.
  16. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Meta already said on stream it was to promote 'unit variety'. Take that how you want.

Also, the problem I see with the balance right now is that it is too strictly following an excel spreadsheet of some kind. But that spreadsheet more often than not does not consider all important factors. For example, take a look at frigate and destroyer balance. A frigate is exactly 75% the hp, cost, damage of a destroyer, yet they forgot that frigates can attack air while destroyers cannot. So why again should i ever build destroyers?

Not saying it's a bad thing to take it to the spreadsheet, but you need to have a balance between real world analysis to pick up on missed variables, and the mathematical analysis.
  17. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I don't think so. All it takes is a pile of scouts or an advanced satellite to cover a planet with vision, radar stealth doesn't automatically break everything. Heck, maybe it would help with the "impenetrable fortress" problem a little bit when it comes to interplanetary combat.
  18. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Okay, so I decided to test "ignore_radar", and guess what? IT WORKS! :D
    It IS possible to implement stealth units as-is! Now I just need to see if any of these fancy balance mods plan on making use of it...
    mered4 likes this.
  19. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Gonna have to disagree here meta. I'm not an expert by any means, but I can dismantle that statement with a single phrase:

Upgraded Advanced.

:D
    stuart98 likes this.
  20. masterofroflness

I mean go all ahead but I think stealth units is just a giant circle jerk.

or it can create bigger problems in terms of the logistical control an individual person would have to manage
  21. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

My feeling is that stealth units are pretty pointless. Initially I thought they would be great, stealth units in Supcom were fantastic when you managed to pull off something clever with them. But PA is designed so that you are never going to have 100% intel, and a couple of stealthed buildings here and there isn't going to make much difference.

PA has achieved a state of dynamic front lines, an area that SupCom was sadly lacking in on most maps and game modes. Dynamic front lines seem to negate the purpose of stealth.