Is Biome 2.0 planned before final release ?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by doud, July 1, 2014.

1. doud

doud Well-Known Member

I remember many complaints about the lack of diversity, height variations and impact on strategy when it comes to biomes. I also remember that Uber had stated they might look into this. I can also see that desert biome has been changed (canyons have disapeared). So with the new pathfinding (which is using 3D as far as i understood), is there any chance to have biome improvements before release 1.0 ?
  2. archmagecarn

archmagecarn Active Member

A lot of people (judging by the response to other threads) feel the same, but as far as I know Uber has not responded definitively on the subject. In the meantime, I recommend aevs' Cliffs mod- it's a much-needed feature.
    dala1984 and cmdandy like this.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I find much-needed an exaggeration, but that mod does add more.

I am not sure if they have more biome features in the pipe to add. They may possibly be waiting to tune in the 3d pathing they are pushing.
    Quitch likes this.
  4. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

Temblor's color palate/pallet (TA 'slate' world, and yes, both words work here) will be the model for the official 'mountain' biome we've seen in the concept art, mark my words! Mark them! And there will be cliffs, soon™!
  5. dala1984

dala1984 Member

Last edited: July 12, 2014
  6. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I bet more work on this is coming when the new pathing code arrives. Complex terrains are now limited by the pathing.
  7. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

To release it without would be a bad move.
    cmdandy likes this.
  8. 2nv2u

2nv2u Member

9. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

S'up! I've answered this one in a couple of the threads. Are you going to see the level of detail and height like in those concepts? No. However, biomes are something we're still really passionate about improving. Over time, I can't imagine we won't improve and add to them. It's important to us that biomes influence play and have a role in battle.
  10. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Good to read this because so far it's all about flatness... Never really expected biomes to look like thé concepts, but frankly i've never seen that much difference between the concept and the final stuff.
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well given time, you could come close.

And thats all I'll ask
  12. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Since when did the concept art become Biome 2.0?
  13. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

I don't really care about the looks as much anymore.
    The artstyle for the planets has changed...

But what I really care about is more interesting terrain from a gameplay perspective and it seems like Uber is working/will be working on that.
  14. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

...Thanks for the heads up I suppose.
  15. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Well i've never expected concept art to become biome 2.0. But honestly, biomes differences mainly remains in textures being simply different. I think something in between current biomes and concept arts can be found and meet expectations in terms of strategy.
    By "Biome 2.0" i meant a major improvement because kickstarter stretch goals really put emphasis on the different biomes, which to me meant lots of stuff was needed for each kind of new biome.
    lokiCML and Planktum like this.
  16. welshenzie

welshenzie Member

Biomes having an effect on strategy will be something really nice to have. Really exciting times.
    drewsuser likes this.
  17. omegabolt

omegabolt New Member

That mod looks really beautiful and interesting, I do hope they include it or something similar.
  18. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

I would like to pick on this once again.

IMHO, there is currently one significant issue with map generation and the biome generation - and this isn't so much diversity in artwork, but the lack of an intention in the placement of features.

Most of the objects just happen to stand around solely. There are some objects like the giant tripple chasm which offer some gameplay value of their own, but most others don't have much impact at all unless the noise generator happens to do something meaningful by chance - which is a scarce occasion.
  19. doud

doud Well-Known Member

I exactly thought about this today when playing on a large planet. I realized i was complaining about the lack of height variations, no ramp/slopes, while actually all this could be pretty much ignored if the planet structure was less randomly generated, opening lots of exciting strategies.Typically i would like to see strategic places where managing to conquer them would give a very good advantage. This is only possible if some sort of non random stuff in used to generate planets.This means that without modifying biomes, lots of high values could be put in planets.
  20. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Have a look at the middle part of the first post for a rough concept, of how a procedural generator for maps with more of such spots could possibly work:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/climbing-slopes-and-rushing-down-hills.63232/
    Not by using a noise generator as a base, but rather by constructing the map top down just like you would do when designing a regular RTS map.
    doud likes this.