What defines thread hostility? (Able commander controversy aside)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drewsuser, July 12, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well what I mean to say is- They had a few commanders to choose from, they were all nice, but they must have all agreed the progenitor is what they wanted to work with (they liked the model).

People on the reddit seem to see this as money grubbing, but it's for charity soooo... anyway, they chose the model because they liked it and wanted to do a rework for others.

Uber's definition is more in line with the true definition of exclusivity as we technically do have an exclusive commander as it looks different, and has a different name. When in the lobby you should be able to tell the difference. (More changes to the model are welcome however, please.)
    eroticburrito and BradNicholson like this.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Not disagreeing with the awesome charity part. That's a fantastic initiative. I love the idea.

I just wish someone had thrown up a whiteboard in that meeting that had a line drawn through the middle, with the words PROS and CONS on each side.

Also, Murphy's Law.
    carlorizzante and aevs like this.
  3. freelikegnu

freelikegnu Member

I don't know enough to have many meaningful questions. Is 1.0 really the next planed release or am I reading that wrong?
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Will that course of action prompt any re-thinking of your procedure in the future?

Mike
  5. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

..... okay i find that reply to be so much bullshit mered. more noobs, i mean really..... come ******* on. unless you backed the game from kickstarter you were a noob at one point too. get off the asses of new people joining. there is so many people better then you at this game that joined after you. I would love to fill my lobbies anytime of the day. 1.0 is a benchmark that uber is striving more and working there butts off for you cast that off to be just another addition of more noobs. get off your high horse. you're a person that makes new players think badly of the player base and the community of this game.
    siefer101 and masterofroflness like this.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

The fact that you guys are doing charity work during the crazy sprint to the finish line has not gone unnoticed. I can see why people are annoyed at the similarities I guess, but I think people sometimes lose sight of the bigger picture. You're making a PC game, not a church or a government. Don't let this discourage you now. There are a lot more people with nothing bad to say than it looks when you read the forum right now.
    siefer101, drz1, Quitch and 2 others like this.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

As I stated before I'm personally happy if Uber will able to make more money because I understand how money converts into good product and charity it's also a good thing for sure. ;)

Still I'll be really happy to get official comment on silently removed topics, posts and banned community users. If somebody who is not spam bot get banned I'm really want to have ability to see and read why because lack of transparency cause problems when I see group of angry / upset players and can't even check what happen. :confused:
  8. mered4

For some reason my sarcasm has yet to rub off on either you or Posidian.

*head shake*
    tehtrekd likes this.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

None of us dislike the idea of it being for a cause.

None of us dislike the idea of a new commander.

None of us are ignoring the amount of time y'all put into the commander.

None of us are ignoring the deadlines you have.

What we do dislike the the devaluing of an exclusive commander by making the exclusive commander available for purchase with a different wrap on it. A more detailed wrap I might add.
  10. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Whoa-just-take-it-easy-man.png
    cptconundrum and squishypon3 like this.
  11. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

Guys, honestly tone it down and inject some civility. I feel like the Uber forums is turning into a mad house.

I REALLY don't want to play "Objective Moderator" for the next few days, but if I have to I will.

So everyone, please take a deep breath and walk away from this for about 10-11 hours.

Everyone needs a break to cool down and think things through.
  12. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

then don't talk with sarcasim, talk with some logic so that people understand the meaning behind your words. can you not then turn around and get mad at uber when they don't tell you a logical full story answer?
  13. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

I'd imagine.
    tatsujb likes this.
  14. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Sarcasm doesn't translate via text.

Please use the sarcasm tag "/s"
  15. BradNicholson

I removed stuart's *THIRD* thread on the same thing. I don't want the front page of our forum to be nothing but locked stuart threads.
  16. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

I've said my peace on the topic of the commanders.

Regarding moderation, I'll stick with what I've said before - if one of our moderators, or employees feels moderation on a thread is appropriate? It 99.99% of the time is. The deleted thread in question that has certain people so upset? It was HOSTILE. It was nasty. Just because it wasn't using tons of ad hominem attacks and reddit pictures to insult people doesn't make it a constructive or even appropriate discussion.

As for "bans", no one has been banned recently. There have been a few suspensions for people who clearly lack the self control to try and post once they've calmed down. Also something I entirely approve of. Everyone, myself included over the years, needs to have a forced break from doing something they will regret later from time to time. It is Brad's job, my job, and the job of our awesome moderators to try and make sure someone can stop at a suspension, rather than being permanently removed from our community.
    drz1, websterx01 and Quitch like this.
  17. mered4

I am thinking with a cool head. I'm considered the coolest head for miles around.
    ikr?
    The most generic answer ever. Can't blame ya for dodging that question, Brad. I would be cringing too.
    Gandalf. Take a chill pill. Please man. We all love you. Have a snickers.
  18. freelikegnu

freelikegnu Member

Really Uber should be thrilled that its community is so charged about it. I think it's a sign that we expect to be involved. Speaking for myself, I feel like part of the development and part of a community, and thats kinda special for me. Perhaps in the discussions there should be a point about "how can we involve our community in the process of something really cool that we want to do?"
  19. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

And with that, good night. Like most of the team, I've had an incredibly long week and am exhausted, and you'll pardon me if the last thing I want to do at 11:30PM on Friday night is put out a fire that never should have been started in the first place. So I'm stopping before _I_ post something I might regret to people I typically have a lot of respect for, tonight notwithstanding.
  20. BradNicholson

I gotta peace out, too, guys. I need to box my compute rup so I can move it to my new apartment. (Was moving tonight.) Please keep posts on this topic in this thread in the meanwhile. I'll get back to it as soon as I can.