What defines thread hostility? (Able commander controversy aside)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drewsuser, July 12, 2014.

1. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Oh! Sorry. You know, I don't know if I can get the team together like that right now. We're working full steam ahead on the 1.0 release of the game.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

The subreddit was created by a reddit community member, merkaba_. He/she is the end all person who runs the subreddit.

I was recently brought on because of how active I am on the subreddit. I have since became a mod. My involvement is independent of PA Matches.

Garat is a mod of the subreddit, but is not a very active mod.
    cdrkf likes this.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well he actually did, time constraints for why a new model wasn't created, and they used progenitor as a base because they liked him and wanted to work with his model again with new textures.

(I've gotta say to be technical, the progenitor is still exclusive because this doesn't have the same textures.. but that's just *technical* )
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

*voice dripping with sarcasm*
    I couldn't tell.
  5. BradNicholson

Sure. We have our entire team engaged on features and performance as we push towards our 1.0 release. I can't talk about the features yet.
  6. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

Is it possible we could get some uber members on a google hangout or twitch stream or skype call and do something? Maybe a teamspeak?
  7. freelikegnu

freelikegnu Member

I will say Brad, that I appreciate your sense of responsibility by taking time to communicate as a representative of Uber for the community when you are not on the clock, but please take a deep breath. Listen to us (typing with our hearts).
    lokiCML and brianpurkiss like this.
  8. BradNicholson

Again, sorry the reality of the decision isn't what you wanted it to be. I don't know what to say, my man.
    kayonsmit101, Quitch and ArchieBuld like this.
  9. BradNicholson

Not right now, for sure. Maybe next week? But, again, we're all pushing really hard on stuff.
    masterofroflness likes this.
  10. BradNicholson

What do you want to know, my man?
  11. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Ah, that sucks man :( Knee injuries are the worst. I hit my right knee pretty hard 4 years ago and again 2 years ago, and I still get nagging pain in it on a pretty regular basis. My sport's pretty tough on knees already though (short track speed skating), lots of people I know get knee / lower back issues.

Also, since this is an open Q & A... I don't suppose you've seen anybody in the office experimenting with or working on something like, say, sheer rock faces, have you? :rolleyes: Or maybe some other terrain related things you may have noticed?
    Please?
    Edit: You can PM me, I won't tell.
  12. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

That's pretty dang awesome :D
    Can't wait for the glory of 1.0 to finally hit the masses.
    proeleert likes this.
  13. Yazilliclick

Yazilliclick Member

The model being cool would be one reason people would be willing to pay to get him though wouldn't it? It would be a reason they'd want it to remain exclusive.

My question would be: Where is the line drawn on when a commander is changed enough (skin and 3d model) to be considered different enough to be considered not breaking the exclusivity of the base commander used? If you're going to sell commanders as exclusive or sell them at all then people deserve to know where this line is. Most people would consider I believe that changes need to be made to both skin and model and not just re-skin (this is the appropriate technical term for changing just the texture on a model).
  14. mered4

Brad, do you think you could get someone who was in on the decision process up here to walk this through for us? It's not that I do not like the answer you've given, it's just that I feel like pieces are missing. If it turns out I'm blowing smoke, then I can deal with that. Until then.....?
  15. mered4

1.0 is just a number. It's not going to change anything besides the *more noobs* factor.
  16. BradNicholson

Gah. Yeah. I yanked my patella something awful while playing frisbie. Doc said I could gut it out because I was young enough. The older I get, the more wrong I start thinking he was. Haha. It's still a mess.

Terrain? Yeah, Tim's always playing with terrain features and deformation. I'm not sure we'll ever get to the extremes of some of our pre-vis', but I know terrain differentiation is something we definitely want to have more of.
  17. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

And offline mode!
    tehtrekd likes this.
  18. BradNicholson

I was a part of the process from the moment we started until it was finished.
  19. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

My only input on this thread is that I am so incredibly dissapointed that, rather than just say "Awesome, access to another commander, for a great cause, that Uber had limited time to get ready", it has turned into this thread.

We discuss things when we do this. We make a determination that tries to bridge what's possible with the time and resources we have, and what best serves what we're trying to attempt - in this case, provide a commander for sale that assists a charity. This is what it means to run a business, have a team making a product, and trying to get 60 peoples worth of work done with about 24ish dedicated people on Planetary Annihilation.

We discussed which commanders would make for a compelling rebuild/reskin, and a request was made to make that commander as unique as we could in the incredibly limited time we have, and provide a great commander at the same time.

You can accept that, or get mad that somehow this is taking something away from you, but seriously? This is the most depressing possible reaction I could have imagined to our decision to help an awesome charity.
    Remy561, kayonsmit101, drz1 and 8 others like this.
  20. BradNicholson

That's an interesting question. At the end of the day though what matters is that people think it's cool. If you think the Able Commander isn't enough of a difference, you can totally not buy it, you know?
    Remy561 likes this.