What defines thread hostility? (Able commander controversy aside)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drewsuser, July 12, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

That would have been awesome!

A giant forum thread of people giving ideas and inspiration. And then maybe a poll between a few different concept arts.

We are an extremely eager and excited community. Involve us!
    cdrkf, DeadStretch, tehtrekd and 2 others like this.
  2. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

Devs might give and take it off the market, thus making it the rarest publicly available commander in existence, I'd buy it just for that... :oops: (Already going off topic even as thread poster)
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  3. aevs

aevs Post Master General

4. freelikegnu

freelikegnu Member

Commander on wheels (looking not unlike a wheelchair) would be cool, or a battle-damaged one-armed commander kicking *** all over the galaxy.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It's funny because it's more HD than the Progenitor! XD
  6. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Someone would find that extremely offensive unfortunately. Same deal with the Wash. Redskins here in the states. Dumb.....but it just happens, I guess.
  7. squishypon3

>Bad *** Wheelchair commander
    >He's in a wheelchair tho
    >Instahate

Honestly it's actually quite silly, because if anything it'd mean they'd be included... Wouldn't that go with the "equality for handicapped people" thing? :p

(The morales with theses sound like they'd only emerge from soccer moms)
  8. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

If only thousands of posts meant someone knows what they're talking about... :rolleyes:

It's quite easy to build up an impressive post count just creating duplicate threads and posting the same copied and pasted lines in thread after thread. ;)
    Quitch, drewsuser and aevs like this.
  9. freelikegnu

freelikegnu Member

Thats a valid concern. At the same time lack of representation of those who are otherly-abled could be considered offensive. How about we ask some of the folks who might benefit from the charity what they would like to see in a commander for this game? That seems to be the most fair and everybody wins I think.

Really with the way technology is helping us overcome physical and mental challenges and arguably making humans a bit more "Cyber". I guess we can't forget that this game is about destruction, so its really hard to effectively inject ideas about representations.
    aevs likes this.
  10. mered4

The fact that you even think up such awful things like forum stat padding makes me cringe. The ladder padding is bad enough lol
    stuart98, brianpurkiss and akwasop like this.
  11. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

Those are the people who should, and do, get their posts locked/deleted, and they get banned themselves. The more legitimate posts you have, the more you know the community and become more mature.
    lokiCML and akwasop like this.
  12. mered4

Careful about the maturity part. You do not become more mature through the internet. Believe me - I know from experience.
    cptconundrum and akwasop like this.
  13. aevs

aevs Post Master General

No, they're both 2048x2048.
    That and I was talking about the UV map, not the resolution; that thing has a ton of separate islands for some reason. It's nearly impossible to tell what maps to where just by looking at it for 80% of the image.
    I'd have to disagree with you there. ;) It can and definitely does happen.
  14. squishypon3

I don't mean literally, sorry, I mean't the fact that the new one has more detail.
  15. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

To answer the OP, I would define hostility* as starting a thread with profanity or implied profanity in its title or content.

*This is a limited definition of hostility and subject to expansion as community veterans act in ways that tempt me to belittle them.

I was hoping he was making an oblique reference to some half-assed HD remake from Electronic Arts or Square Enix.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  16. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Seriously?

You must not have read Stuart's posts.

He has extremely detailed and insightful posts.

He's one of the main guys behind the Statera mod. He's helpful, detailed, and insightful.
    cdrkf and drewsuser like this.
  17. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I think cptconundrum was speaking generally with that post.
    cptconundrum and squishypon3 like this.
  18. squishypon3

Oh hey guys, I'm sad it took me this long, but I finally understand the name.

"able"

Just let it sync in... It has to do with bodies, possibly.
  19. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

When an accomplished, creative, and awesome artist at our studio sits down for over a week and creates a cool Commander for a charitable cause, the end result is more than a "re-skin." My brain hurts thinking about this because I don't think this kind of behavior -- the baiting, in particular -- is representative of our community. (That's your warning to stop, Brian.)

Furthermore, when we sat down and talked about how we could support AbleGamers and give people a great in-game item, we totally understood and cared about the Progenitor's status. To us, this is not the Progenitor.

The "i'm so angry uber is trash" part of this conversation is a non-starter for me. Sorry. I will continue to delete posts that break our rules. That's just how it's going to be.

Again, I couldn't be more bummed that instead of celebrating this, I'm having to write posts like this.
    zaphodx, websterx01, Quitch and 3 others like this.
  20. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I'm also pretty annoyed that a community moderator over on the reddit forum is working to feed this controversy. This sort of thing makes the game and our community look really bad to outsiders. (And less fun for the rest of us.)

http://www.reddit.com/r/planetaryan...iscussion_about_the_new_able_commander_since/
    tehtrekd and aevs like this.