Almost every match ends in Overtime

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by buggritall, January 30, 2011.

1. goathax

goathax New Member

I think the issue for me is less the chance of the aggressor losing during OT (it's pretty rare in my experience, and Zooloo's right about the substantial advantages an attacking team holds) as it is that the game ought to give a little more time to let a win happen organically.

To me, an OT win secured by a suicide juice rush that fails to wipe the ball but damages the ball more than the enemy team did to yours happens really often. It's not as satisfying as a proper victory where you break down the shields yourself and break the ball apart.
  2. Zoolooman

Zoolooman New Member

I agree, goathax, but the problem is clear. The longer a game lasts, the less money is worth, and the easier it is to build a rock solid defense. Maybe another 5 minutes could be tacked on, but as you surpass 20 and start pushing on 30 minutes of game time, you threaten to make it affordable to build and rebuild level 3 turrets across the board.
  3. goathax

goathax New Member

Yeah, I wouldn't ask for more than 2-5 extra minutes. The long-round servers are just for people kill-farming and trying to get "Over 9000."
  4. Goose

Goose Active Member

Over time is needed to an extent because of the possibility that the persons defense can match the other teams offence and a stalemate will happen. However Tanks and Assassins can destroy both a successful offense and a Defense. And this is a huge problem because matches could potentially NEVER end. The tank/Sin can easily kill bots before they reach your heavily armored base and they can also ruin your heavily armored base with 2 successful juice rushes. Either way, nobody is winning.
  5. zerj

zerj New Member

I wouldn't be suprised if the overtime percentage is due to the newness of the game and this wears off in a few weeks. But right now I'd like to see more of a ramping up of 'bots than the current overtime system. Perhaps either add 20% more bots every five minutes of the round, or make them 20% stronger. This would correspond better to the base defenses and pros that get stronger and stronger over time. I suspect do this enough and you wouldn't need any overtime at some point bots would win.

The downside is it may encourage more turtling if bots get too strong. Right now I think they are too weak though. My games usually either end in overtime or within the first 5 minutes before any defenses are strong.
  6. Goose

Goose Active Member

This game has been out for a while on xbox and it's the same thing there. Sadly, the problems can't be fixed by adding more bots. All that does is give more money to the people killing them.

I feel like the bots themselves need to be changed in order to counter certain classes abilities to kill them so easily.
  7. ohknee

ohknee New Member

Game isn't the problem, the players are.
  8. goathax

goathax New Member

What if just over time the Slims start getting replaced by Blackjacks? They're not particularly scary bots but suddenly assassin, tank, and sniper are the only ones who can clear bot waves quickly. Whoever's kept the pressure going and controls the annihilator, etc., is going to have a bigger advantage and be more likely to break through to the moneyball.
  9. MikeyTWolf

MikeyTWolf New Member

^ Has CLEARLY not actually played the game.

Slimbots ARE replaced by Blackjacks in REGULATION time, and in Overtime ALL bots are Jackbots.

So you really don't know what you're talking about. :/
  10. st0nedpenguin

st0nedpenguin New Member

All bots should be replaced by VOLTRON during overtime.
  11. goathax

goathax New Member

Learn to play nice or get out. I can do a bunch of pedantic sniping at your posts, I'm sure. But I don't.
  12. Deeja

Deeja New Member

If the teams are evenly matched the game will go into overtime, is that not what it's for?

Trying to compare MNC to basketball? This thread is stupid.
  13. dazakai

dazakai New Member

Tbh, I quoted this number in another thread, and even though it's a guess, I reckon it's not far from accurate : i've played about 50 or more games since starting MNC (most likely more, but i tried to be conservative with my guesses), and out of those, maybe 5 or less ended with Overtime.

Doesn't really strike me as a huge problem for the game. Typically it goes into Overtime because teams are more evenly matched. As i've also said in another thread, in my experience, the teams i'm on have tended to win earlier than that alot of the time (either cause i'm good, or the team is good, some combination of those, lol), which explains why i've had few instances of games going to Overtime, I suppose.
  14. tinygod

tinygod New Member

Well Assassins for one kill all bots far too quickly.. you can clear 10 out of a lane in 3 seconds.. this IMO is causing a lot of stalemates, as the offensive team staarts pushing, and the ball shields drop, all the sudden even the worst assassins realize its time to stop hunting pros and start clearing bots.. if you have 1 assassin in either lane clearing the push just comes to a hault.. there is almost nothing the other team can do, if they put tanks on the bots to defend or gunners the sin will fall back and shuriekn spam (theyll still go down, just slower) or back stab the defender and continue, and if the defenders guarded, well thats 2 less players guarding the other side..

I would like to see the support maybe jacked up a bit, take away some offensive power from his airstrike, and give him a much more powerfull healing option for bots.. like boost his aura or something.. or give him a shielding effect.. something to make him a better lane pusher.. would be nice.. and a way to stop sins from destroying his bots so quickly.

This or add a new button that costs 1000 and unleashes 5 waves of bots at once (costs twice as much per wave but unleashes them in a flurry), this could be used near the end of games as money builds up and starts meaning less (you can only buy so much juice). and might help to tip the sides for the team thats been pushing.

than again a SIN could make money fast... so who knows.
  15. tinygod

tinygod New Member

do you troll every thread? So far ive seen you say

Saracastic comment about giving gunner pilows

the hugely helpful "no" you posted in my thread

this

You are super helpful.

PS: Ive mentioned assassin in this thread because I found it to be relevant, please show me another thread where I mention assassin at all, aside from the one ABOUT assassins.

Assassins are the premiere bot killing unit, killing bots quickly is what causes stalemates (you cant drop shields without them) so IF STALEMATE is happening to often, it is probably beacuse the unit that kills bots is far too good at it.. and OMG thats exactly the point i made in my thread.

go troll another one.
  16. tinygod

tinygod New Member

users post deleted, reply not necessary.
    Last edited: February 3, 2011
  17. tinygod

tinygod New Member

Users post was deleted, reply not necessary.
    Last edited: February 3, 2011
  18. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I cleaned this thread a little up. Everything is at least quoted twice so you are not missing out on anything. *sigh*

Deeja, keep pushing. I haven't banned anybody today, but you look like a prime candidate already.
  19. Deeja

Deeja New Member

Because I asked a simple question? I apologize I didn't know it would upset him please don't use your scary admin powers on me
  20. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

All I have done in the past 15 minutes is clean up your mess. That's valuable time of my life that could be spend shooting other people in MNC. So yes, you have my full and undivided attention, happy now? :twisted: