For Backers Only: Megabot Experiment

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, March 14, 2013.

1. CounterFact

CounterFact Active Member

Then propose a feature for the superunit, so that it would be different.
    Give it anti-orbital for example, since there's no moveable thing on the surface that can shoot orbital.
    And it's not that some units aren't already fairly similar to eachother already, which is not a bad thing since I like options.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i suggested a advanced antiorbital navalunit before ... why has it to be a "super"unit though?

which i rather like to be kept to a minimum ...

you have like 4 or 5 types of assaulttanks if you have the money to build/spam "the best" of them why would you ever choose the others?
  3. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

Which is why each of those tanks needs to have a particular drawback or weakness, to equalize them. Maybe one is slower than the others, maybe one has weaker health, maybe one puts more strain on the resource stream, etc.
  4. MrTBSC

and now add 3 to 5 types of assaultbots ... why should you ever choose those weak health-tanks for example when there is a bot that could potentionaly do the same job?
  5. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

Why does anyone choose bots or tanks in the current build?
  6. CounterFact

Sigh. The whole point of having similar units is that there is no "best" unit, only one that suits your playstyle or terrain best. (I'm also in favour of bonusses vs tanks/bots for certain units, but we'll leave that aside for now)

Why don't we cut it down to 3 units and call them rock, paper and scissors?
    corteks likes this.
  7. MrTBSC

units should be designed around the idea of having clear roles and situational use, ... when to use directfire, DF longrange (GIL-E), indirect artillery, shortrange AoE ... this is all already there but with some having 2 to 3 variations
    some of which are just plain worse than others

f.e.:
    how many players do use doxs, slammers (when not having a waterplanet) and levelers currently?
    how many make use of the advanced combatfabber?
    how many use instead grenadiers, ants and vanguards?
    maxcomander likes this.
  8. CounterFact

Unfinished balance is a bad counterargument.
    There is plenty of situational use for megabots.
    Also, let's try to stay on the topic of Megabots.
    corteks likes this.
  9. MrTBSC

adding units no matter what kind is always a question of adding variety and options
    while balancing is a ongoing process this argumend is still viable ...
    if 10 tanks can do the same a megabot can there is no real variety or option ... in that case it would be just another skin with a bit of different stats that you may happen to like ... but it does ultimatly nothing different ..
    to me that´s a waste of resources and developmenttime for when there can be made content that truely influences gameplay ...
    Last edited: July 8, 2014
  10. CounterFact

They may be a showpiece in a way, they do have practical uses on maps with chokepoints and fortified enemy posistions. I think it's up to the devs to decide on what they spend their time and effort, this thread proves they have considered the idea at some point.

PS: I see the megabot as a unit that tanks damage, this being said the inferno and vanguard should be removed from the game or repurposed to not be so tanky.
  11. MrTBSC

entirely disagree with this ...
    igncom1 likes this.
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

PS: The inferno and vanguard are exactly what you are asking for.
  13. CounterFact

You're missing the point. Super high HP units should be lategame units that cost a lot.
    It's a personal opinion, but I really don't like how much HP infernos/vanguards have right now, their concept is just wrong. (balance is not the problem here, giving super high HP + dps to 1 singe relatively cheap unit, is)
  14. MrTBSC

except it isn´t cheap at all

you get 8 to 9 ants out of one vanguard in metal ... 10 vanguards is like 1/8 of a nuke in metal
    they are easily in the costrange of Supcom T3 units for a rough comparison
    Last edited: July 10, 2014
  15. CounterFact

I never played supcom, and I think it's not really relevant to compare PA to supcom in that kind of detail. Anyway, I'm gonna stop this discussion. We've reached a bit of a stalemate in our discussion as I don't see either of us convincing the other. I hardly play any PA anymore anyway.
  16. glinkot

glinkot Active Member

I've seen this thread near the top for about a year now. It's 45 pages - what actually happened with the idea of doing this? The boat will have been pretty much missed if it doesn't happen soon - if it hasn't been missed already!
  17. MrTBSC

Simply put... Dont expect to get any Kind of megaunit or experimental any time soon ... They are very low in the priority list..
    Last edited: July 11, 2014
    emraldis likes this.
  18. freelikegnu

freelikegnu Member

how about it needing to eat units for maintenance? nom nom nom!