EA Mobile Statement on Dungeon Keeper

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, July 11, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

igncom1 likes this.
  2. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Innovated?

You keep using that word, but I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Pay to win isn't innovation.
    thetrophysystem and kvalheim like this.
  4. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

"Pay to play at a tolerable level"
  5. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

thetrophysystem likes this.
  7. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

See this is why I can't hate EA. They know how to make people laugh.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I can hate EA. Cancelling many of my favorite studios and games doesn't make me laugh.

Them failing a f2p model, makes me laugh. And, didn't look at details, but they probably made Planetside2 from SOE look generous, knowing how they roll.

EA should just stick to sports games and battlefield. They need not make anything else, all they do is fall through or fail the approval of EA. If they want a lucrative model, they should just stick with that.

They can't innovate. If they could they wouldn't be making f2p or mobas or stuff. It would be more innovative to do a pre-funded game at this point if thats what they wanted. Figure out how much they'd spend making a game, and publicly release a pilot model for several games and place prices on launching them. I wouldn't touch EA, but someone who would might take that for face value.
    Last edited: July 11, 2014
  9. arseface

arseface Post Master General

And Sims. Sims is fun.
  10. Gorbles

They can't innovate, but they oversee Mass Effect and Dragon Age (of which 2 is a disappointment, yes, before anybody starts). Amirite?

And don't pin the above games on the developers, because developers do fail, and that would mean the Dungeon Keeper experience was also the fault of the devs.

@brianpurkiss: the definition of a new concept is anything that hasn't been done in that specific combination before.

Additionally, while the presumption is that innovation is positive, the phrase "change for change's sake" exists for a reason. Don't assume the positive interpretation just because it suits you. Technically-speaking, innovation is correct. However much you don't think this is a good thing is a perfectly valid opinion, naturally. I'd even agree with you (it's a brilliant example of how to screw up a mobile game). But I don't agree with people attempting to nitpick semantics over words that are technically correct.
  11. arseface

arseface Post Master General

As much as I LOVED Dragon Age: Origins, it was basically a less good Baldurs Gate:p

Mass Effect I can't comment on because I haven't played, but I wouldn't call Dragon Age super innovative, even if it was super good.
  12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Mass effect and dragon age? 2 of those were a disappointment. I don't care if you called it out early, for dragon age that is pretty much saying the game is a disappointment and had a better version but I was already sold off it. So biased as it may be, it still counts.

Neither of those are innovation though. Anything is innovation if someone is doing it for THEIR first time. That is like saying a first time level maker's Happy Wheels Sword Throw is innovative. Yes, all 10000 of those sword throw levels, a large fraction of the levels in Happy Wheels, are all 10000 examples of personal innovation then.

What EA needs to do, is actually take the risk of figuring out a contribution to concept, instead of copying "trending ideas" like mobas and f2p. If they are going to copy, either improve on it or use something newer. F2p were old when SMNC and Loadout and stuff came out, yet at least those were innovative. they added to the library. SMNC was a hodge podge of TF2 and tower defense and moba and f2p, Loadout was a hodge podge of shooter combat games and f2p, I cant think of any f2p shooters besides those 2 off the top of my head anyway.

EA just creates a dime a dozen mobile app off the instinct F2P is trending and they can throw enough developers at it? I think my older brother plays a game on his phone, and I could list off 12 games I think it is without listing the right one. If someone was playing dungeon keeper, I would do the same.

Uber made Toy Rush. It is a fun theme, but the design is pretty common used mostly, but at least they designed it around what it is. EA always shuns any of it's creations that don't sell record breaking numbers. By the way, someone was playing a game, I asked if it was Toy rush and 2 other games and it turned out to be something else, so there are at least 4 similar games in the Toy Rush similarity?
  13. Gorbles

And we're back to the definition of innovation of "nobody can have had any idea anything like that ever because even 10% of the idea means it wasn't innovative".

Innovation is doing something new. The concepts, individually, do not have to be new. The fact that they're combined in the way they are is new. Even if that newness is a Bad Thing. Which making people pay to unlock tiles to mine is. It's also a pretty new thing, in my time playing mobile games I haven't managed to find something that obnoxious (yet).
  14. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Dungeon Keeper was so innovative that the UK stopped EA from advertising it as free!
    tehtrekd likes this.
  15. killien

killien Active Member

Have you seen BF:Hardline?
  16. Gorbles

:) :) :)