Planetary Annihilation's Engine.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, July 10, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Heyo, I wanted to ask if the engine will be available to the players in the future (the modding community in particular)

I'd understand if this was a no, as I've heard you wanted to sell the engine for other companies to use to build games off of, but having the source code for the engine would be nice as whatever hooks Uber doesn't make for modders, modders can make themselves.

Things like extra layers, new identifiers for units, etc...
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

During the pre-alpha days I remember Uber discussing the possibility of using for other games and/or licensing it out.

It's certainly a possibility eventually.
  3. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

Havent they discussed the idea of a mod market place aswell?
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'm pretty sure they have. At least I vaguely remember them mentioning it a year ago. I think that would be AMAZING. I know modding communities are awesome and make cool stuff, but if modders have financial incentive and backing, they can make even more awesome stuff.

If Uber doesn't do it, I'll do it.
  5. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

The Future Will Tell
  6. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

Yer, look what dayz done for Bohemia, a uber PA mod market place could spawn a whole generation of total conversion mods, because you could even drop out the planets and have space ships!
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Even if I'm being one of guys who like to see something like that I still understand that chances for that is pretty low because game developers usually don't fans of sharing their IP. And just available source code without proper project around it it's always double-edged sword because it's might result in more incompatibilities so I'd prefer some powerful scripting system that let us replace most of engine features with our own scripts with some JIT/AOT compiler.

So I only hope Uber can release source code they own under open source license in future, e.g like after 5 years. I sure it's won't be too hard to replace FMOD/Coherent with other solutions.

PS: I like to see how Unreal Engine 4 making progress, but it's general purpose engine and Epic put a lot of resources into this effort because they actually have large community around. Unfortunately for RTS isn't that popular genre so I feel like powerful nodding that force to distribute mods with their scripts as source will be a lot more useful.

Though I pretty sure I don't want to see pre-compiled mods that lose compatibility with game once author decide to stop development/support. :p
    Last edited: July 10, 2014
    squishypon3 likes this.
  8. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Broken, you say?

[​IMG]

Can also be used for in-office trolling whenever someone asks "what's wrong with the engine?".

Don't act like you don't want to:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: July 11, 2014
    stuart98 likes this.
  9. zhaii

zhaii Active Member