Armoury needs to label purchases "cosmetic only"

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, July 9, 2014.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I am seeing on the Steam forums that some people have got it into their head (and apparently people see this in-game too) that there are differences between the commanders. This is leading to the idea that the game is buy-to-win.

All the commanders need to be clearly labelled as a cosmetic purchase, and that gameplay wise they're all identical.
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I'd vote for slapping people in the face yelling "HOW DID YOU GET THAT IDEA YOU SILLY TOSSER!?" but ok.
    Jaedrik and Shwyx like this.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Need to be careful with your message there Geers...

Perhaps "HOW DID YOU GET THAT IDEA YOU MISINFORMED PERSON WHO NEEDS TO GET LAID!?"

That way it is non-offensive to any specific group *and* gender neutral :p
    Jaedrik likes this.
  4. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

I don't think that any kind of labelling will help people who spend $10-15 with zero prior research. Then again, I don't think that the people on the Steam forums speculating about different stats for different commanders are the same demographic that actually buys them.
  5. Quitch

I thought my post was pretty clear that this is as much about giving the right impression to people who aren't purchasing, as those who are.
    cdrkf likes this.
  6. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

I'd say that the same train of thought still applies; some people simply can't be helped.

On another note: I don't think one should over-interpret the (Steam) forum feedback. Chances are it's just a bunch of kids, the majority of which probably doesn't even own the game, speculating about every minor detail because they can.
  7. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

The solution is simple. Have a disclaimer at the bottom of the Armory, that says theres no advantage of having one commander over another, and that the differences are purely cosmetic.

Problem solved, if they can't read the fine print, that's their issue, not Uber's.
    meir22344, aevs and cdrkf like this.
  8. Quitch

I think you need to categorise items. It's a commander store now, but I believe it's intended to be more in the future. Simply label the items as "Cosmetic" and problem solved.

Why is it wrong of them to think this? Imagine going into the armoury as someone who knows nothing about PA. There's a bunch of units you can buy. What is it in that UI that suggests this is a cosmetic, non-gameplay affecting purchase?

As for ignoring Steam, that's ridiculous. Not only is it the biggest gaming community on the web, I would be willing to bet it's also Uber's largest source of sales.
    DalekDan likes this.
  9. crazymario

crazymario New Member

Huh? The only people that couldn't be helped by a simple label/disclaimer are those that can't read. Then we'll be wondering why/how they bought the game in the first place. And they certainly wouldn't be able to write any stupid threads on Steam.
  10. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

There is a lot of clarification that can be done both in game and on the Steam store page. I figure Uber are just too busy atm.
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Agreed, the Armory still has a long way to go before I'd say it's ready in terms of communication.

Mike
    Last edited: July 10, 2014
    LeatherNeck2382 likes this.
  12. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

There's a lot of people on Steam who can't read. Thats why PA got so much flak over there at first.
  13. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Since when did not being able to read or write stop people from posting moronic crap on the internet?
  14. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

Some people here should stop thinking they are the elite of the internet.

Also it's not because you are aware of it that anyone should.
    It's not that clear.

It's hopefully clear for you as you are coming here and read most of the post. That's probably not the case of 90% of PA buyers.

But well, it's also true that 90% of PA buyers don't play the game :)
    DalekDan likes this.
  15. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

How you work the 90%? I can only find out through steam but it don't report uber launcher players which people can chose to launch with or not?
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Number of average players on-line vs number of purchases.
  17. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Would that be accounting for Unique players? Just because there is always X amount of players online at a given time doesn't always mean it'll be the same set of players every time.

Mike
  18. LeatherNeck2382

LeatherNeck2382 Member

Fixed that for you. :cool:

Steam users can be pretty bad about it though, namely on any Early Access games. I will say that I agree that the Armory could use some clarifications on the Commanders being cosmetic. The animations throw some people off, and apparently not everyone knows about the alt fire... o_O
  19. thepilot

Hopefully I'm running a server that makes a similar game running, and I have stats, counting unique players (available on the front page - and before you say anything, yes, it's players, not people chilling in the chatroom - ), so I can guesstimate that quite well.

And I'm pretty sure the online number inside PA lobby counts both steam & Uber launcher players.
    It's not particularly bad for that kind of game, given the current kind of broken stage it is in.

I needed to say that because some people think that opinions on this forum represent the majority for PA buyers. It's probably not even the majority of PA players.
    Probably not even a representative % of them.

It's more alarming given that people coming here are probably sold to the cause and are able to accept stuff that most of the people wouldn't.

Maybe some things should be reconsidered, because even the "it's not finish so it's normal" reason is probably true, I'm pretty sure some a lot of people are driven away because of other stuff that this forum consider good and normal.
    Last edited: July 10, 2014
  20. thepilot

There is a stat inside the lobby.