A new site for PA Mods

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by trialq, April 7, 2014.

1. trialq

trialq Post Master General

I've been working on a website for all things PA modding related, and now I'm satisfied enough to make a post here advertising it:

http://pa-mods.com

[​IMG]

The main features are a database of client mods, a database of server mods, and a database of maps. Media such as images and youtube videos are on a mod/map page if they are known. If a mod or map pack is on PAMM, it's on the site. Maps are more of a WIP; currently map packs on PAMM are automatically added, maps on the Uber forums are manually added, and maps on System Sharing servers are not present.

Content creators (modders, mappers, and anyone who wants to create media for a mod or map), can add it to public metadata files if you are so inclined here, or PM me.
    Last edited: January 3, 2015
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

For someone with as many mod links in their signature as you, I bet this will be good. Hope you can cooperate with raevn and colin on this too.
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Best birthday present ever <3 thanks :)
    trialq likes this.
  4. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

That's pretty cool!
  5. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Wow, you put a lot into that! You have a description for each mod that you wrote yourself.
    moldez likes this.
  6. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

That's epic! This should be very helpful to the community and it would be great to integrate it even more into PAMM. We could add changelogs and stuff to the modlist.json to make it easier for you too.
  7. trialq

It's my new go-to excuse for sucking at the game :p

As I've already done the work of getting the changelogs up to date initially, it shouldn't be too hard to keep them updated (I have a program that lets me know when mods are updated on PAMM). If changelogs are wanted in PAMM so PAMM can use them, feel free to use the ones I made as a base.

edit: Luckily, most modders either make a new post in their thread for an update, edit the OP, or use github.

If anyone has suggestions I'm open to them; content, style or anything else.
    Last edited: April 7, 2014
    moldez and LavaSnake like this.
  8. sycspysycspy

sycspysycspy Active Member

9. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

sycspysycspy likes this.
  10. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

11. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Raevn likes this.
  13. moldez

moldez Active Member

hi,

great work man, looks promising. Is there a direct link to PAMM on your site? could not find it right now. A little "howtogetstarted" would be great too - many people just need a little advise on how to install PAMM and select mods :) .

Perhaps post this one in the german general discussion as well with your link?

keep it up!

Moldez
  14. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

And who's pamods.com instead? He should speed up and doing something. Or giving you the domain :D
  15. trialq

A few updates today:
    • Required mods on a mod page now link to the required mods
    • Each author has a generated page, currently just listing the mods they've contributed to
    • The mods link to their authors, and vice-versa
    If you are a modder and would like to write a little bio about yourself (or tell me a few things so I can write it), it can go on your author page. Contact me please, I'll likely be PMing you all soon anyway.

Added both.

There is no link to PAMM, apart from github links which aren't useful to players. Setup guides should be coming relatively soon though. If a german speaker wants to make a post about this site in the german section, please do.

I don't know, it was my first choice but it's been taken for a while. If it's Uber, that has rather unfortunate consequences for this domain when they go live. I'd have to get a new domain if it comes to it :D
    sycspysycspy, moldez and LavaSnake like this.
  16. trialq

After a month of little activity, I've finally overhauled the website. I'm still behind on filling some of the mod entries with images or updated changelogs, but it's on the way to updated. Highlights of the changes include:
    • Updated live as pamm is (using a live/recently cached version of modlist2.json)
    • Server mods supported with their own page
    • Install links. If you have the atom-shell version of pamm, clicking a mods install button on the site will open pamm and install the mod (thanks Mereth for getting that working again)
    • Manual download links for the latest version of the mod files
    • Site style improved, now cleaner and making better use of the space
    • Conversion from id to identifier, now that id is deprecated
    • Lots of other stuff that I find exciting and everyone else would find dull as hell

It turns out that it's very hard to keep an up-to-date mod database as just one person, particularly when new patches change the ui style and many images become inaccurate. The amount of live mods has doubled since the site started (that's with many being deprecated), and things are only going to get more hectic as time passes (which is good). If you are a mod author and want to help, please take lossless screenshots of your mod in action whenever you update the mod, or a patch changes the look of the mod. Post them in this thread or PM me links to them, that would be awesome.
    OathAlliance and Raevn like this.
  17. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

Your signature banner reminds me of Outpost 2 so very much... XD
  18. trialq

The site has been updated with some new features. A major change is the addition of a map database. I've also changed the way additional content is defined, it's now in a github repository that anyone part of the pamods organisation on github can edit (aka any modder). I made a github repo in part to try and encourage modders to define additional media themselves, and it made sense to make it a community resource.
    proeleert and cptconundrum like this.