Just bought game, bit confused

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by starsphinx, July 8, 2014.

1. starsphinx

starsphinx New Member

I finally dropped the 50 usd and bought the game on steam.

I watched the short tutorial, but im not sure what to do , galactic war or multiplayer first?

I tried galactic war and got swarmed by airborne units about 15 minutes in and died.

I got to build like 20 tanks and got the basics sorted but wasn't sure how to make advanced buildings.

It seems a lot of gaps were in my construction view list.

Lastly I know how important community is for games like these, im looking for any clan that would take me in since im so new.

thanks, and see you ingame
  2. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Welcome to the forums. You can play against the AI, by selecting it in the muliplayer lobby, so no need to play against human players when ur new to the game. In GW you dont have all the units at ur desposal , so to learn the game in the right way, you have to play against the AI in the multiplayer lobby.

Also learn from turtorial visit this site http://pamatches.com/
    The only issue with these turtorials is the game is in earlyer state, and it may not be the same UI being used.
    naginacz and brianpurkiss like this.
  3. lapantouflemagic

lapantouflemagic Active Member

if you never played the game, go into multiplayer, create a game, and put a sandbox AI to understand how it works
    then try against a weak AI, then average, then...then...then....
    naginacz likes this.
  4. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

I don't think the game is going to get any tutorials, just videos. The devs expect people to watch vids to learn how to play so maybe you should try that, there's lots about.
  5. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Hello, welcome to the forums!

I recommend you start watching some videos to see how the game is played, not necessarily tutorials, just matches. Head to the videos and replays forum to get started!

You can play vs the AI in 'multiplayer mode', just add an AI in every slot, you can also form a team with an AI if you need some help!

In GW you collect techs by exploring and conquering systems, in multiplayer you have all tech available.

When an update comes out, read the patch notes, because things can change drastically with updates. (balance, new UI, features...)

Also the AI is hard. I mean really hard. You'll have to stay on normal for a long while. (they will add easier difficulties soon)

:) Cheers
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Nice post stonewood, as an extra to that:

If you find Normal AI too strong at first, when you add the AI there is a little box next to it with 1.0 written in it. This is the economy multiplier. To make the normal AI easier, just type in a number less than 1 (e.g. 0.5). That will reduce the economy the AI gets compared to you and slow it down :)
    stonewood1612 and gtf50 like this.
  7. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

If you install the mod PA stats, you can see the stats of your game and where you could potentially improve. Also, i have to say EXPAND EXPAND EXPAND EXPAND EXPAND, thats rule #1 of this game. For the rest, build things, shoot things and blow some stuff up.
    gtf50 likes this.
  8. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

there is also a quick tips thread here https://forums.uberent.com/threads/quick-tips.61273/#post-949774

might find some useful stuff in there.

Things I think are most important:
    expand EVERYWHERE
    constantly scout (area patrol from a infinitely building air factory very useful)
    learn the area commands well, especially area patrol and area load.
    use camera anchors (ctrl + # to set, alt + # to jump), very useful for jumping between multiple bases and planets.
    This game has been designed with mods in mind, recommend heading over into the mod subforum and getting the PA Mod Manager, which will give you easy access to lots of awesome mods.
    PAMM: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-pa-mod-manager-crossplatform-version-with-atom-shell.59992/
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

if you quickly want to know all the content of the game
    go first create your own testsystem with a minimum 3 planets

2 non orbiting planets of radius 800 to 500 being both starting planets but not smashable, don´t make a full water or lavaplanet but mix the planets with a good water/lavaratio, put water in if you want to play with naval units ...

1 planet orbiting one of the other 2, radius 400 to 300, being a non startingplanet and smashable, set the number of how many halleys the planet should requier to be build for when it can be moved shortly after you put the planettemplate on your system ...

go host your own multiplayer game with an normal ai, set it´s resource generation to 0.5 or lower
    and yours if you want higher then 1.0

test to your hearts content