Most Amazing Teleporter Idea Ever

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Geers, July 2, 2014.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

That's partially there already- you can tall factories to rally units to a teleporter, and you can set rally points for the teleporter at the other end. The only thing missing is the automatic select units, click on other planet and give destination, units work out which teleporter to use.

Edit: My vote on this is a PIP windows of the destination gate + highlight of the planet in the top right hand menu on mouse over a teleporter, much like when you hover over a notification. Also lines showing the path would be awesome although I can see it might be tricky to work out.
  2. davedontmind

davedontmind Member

Additionally, how about being able to set the colour of the teleporter's portal for any given pair of teleporters? I think this would be better for team play, then you could just tell your team-mate to "take the purple teleporter", or "the yellow teleporter is now linked to the moon" etc.
    pieman2906, Nicb1, meir22344 and 2 others like this.
  3. sudomilk

sudomilk Member

Mind blown. It would be especially interesting if, say it was a shorter distance to go to TP > different planet > another TP > Back to the *same planet* > Destination simply because it was a shorter distance to do it that way. If they can get pathing that solid, I've got some more money to throw at Uber.
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

That can cause a lot of problems though. If you tell units to go one way but they decide it is faster to walk through an enemy base over to your nearest teleporter, you could be in a lot of trouble.
    sudomilk likes this.
  5. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

While that's not impossible it could happen with teleporters you run the same risk when your base spans most of a planet and you want to go from one side to the other... the only uncontrolled spot (enemy base) is the shortest path.

Even a cursory amount of planning can avoid that problem.
    corteks likes this.
  6. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

Most amazing UI idea ever:
    [​IMG]
    To go to the other teleporter, press the button hovering above the portal.
    Want to start a nuke? Press the button hovering above the launcher.
    Etc.
    Is this possible? Do it!

(sorry for my poor photo editing skills)
    Pendaelose likes this.
  7. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

That is like... literally impossible with spherical worlds. Even if there was a mysterious situation where you were reinforcing an ally and an enemy base was in the way, the UI seems pretty good about showing where units are going to go so that like, never happens.
  8. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

If your base spans more than 180 degrees of the equator and you want to reinforce your west flank from your east the shortest path is outside your base. That's math, bro.

I agree it's not very likely though. If you actually pay attention to the point being made instead of looking for things to berate your would see that it's not a problem was my point to begin with. It's an acceptable risk right now, and it's just as unlikely on one planet as it is on three planets. Using teleporters automaticly does not magically make this problem any more significant than it was before.
    corteks likes this.