Persistent Launch Error.......

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Feedback and Issues' started by Dude Manrod, February 2, 2011.

1. Dude Manrod

Dude Manrod New Member

I just bought and download MNC last night. Whenever I try to start the game, it flashes the "Preparing to launch Monday Night Combat" Steam box, then disappears and nothing happens. It just seems to completely fail the launch process. I verified all the game cache files and also defragmented, then restarted Steam. I also updated my NVIDIA graphics drivers and tried again, but it still happened. I even deleted the local content and reinstalled the game and did the same steps as above(minus the updated graphics driver), yet the same exact problem is happening. Can anyone help?

There is NOTHING more irritating than a game I bought skeptically in the first place not even letting me play it. I'm not very happy at the moment.

And yes, I did EVERYTHING in the Steam sticky thread that it tells you to do if this problem happens. Nothing worked.
  2. UberGaf

UberGaf Uber Alumni

You might want to try manually (re)installing the support files. These include DirectX, PhysX, and the MS C++ runtimes. These can all be found in your steamapps\common\monday night combat\Binaries\Win32\support. Let us know if that fixes you!
  3. Dude Manrod

Dude Manrod New Member

I, once again, redid all of the steps like you said. I even did a freaking Chkdsk scan and it STILL doesn't work. It does the SAME thing. I am usually quite patient with things like this because I realize there are problems with computers, but this is ridiculous. I bought the game last night and I haven't even been able to play it yet.
  4. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

1) What is your OS? Include whether it's 32- or 64-bit

2) If you run mnc.exe manually from "\Steam\steamapps\common\monday night combat\Binaries\Win32" what happens? Do you get the MNC splash screen? Nothing at all?

3) Open up the task manager (right-click taskbar -> Start Task Manager) and go to the "Processes" tab. Sort by name. Watch what happens to mnc.exe in that list when you try to run it. Does it appear briefly then go away? Does it linger without doing anything? How much memory does it use before disappearing or hanging?

4) Right click mnc.exe and choose Properties, then select the Compatibility tab. Try messing with the options there to see if anything makes a difference.

5) In your "My Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\HostileGame\Logs" directory, is a new Launch.log file generated when you try to run the game? If so, post it here and/or in the crash logs thread.
  5. Dude Manrod

Dude Manrod New Member

Thanks for the post, Zar, but I've already tried all of that from experience with other Steam games. I don't know what happened differently, but I was retrying the desktop shortcut to the game and then the splash screen decided it wanted to start up. So I let it load the updates and start up, and I've been able to play ever since (a good 5 or so hours ago). I've even quit the game just to see if it would start up again. It seems fine. I'm glad it works now, but I wish I knew what was going on and what changed to make it work all of a sudden...
  6. UberGaf

UberGaf Uber Alumni

If you want to dig a little deeper, you might look in the Windows event viewer, and let us know if there are any entries along the lines of "The application mnc.exe failed to start because of ... whatever".