How do you attack a water planet?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by wstxbb, July 1, 2014.

1. wstxbb

wstxbb Member

Well, before I never think about this, but recently I find I have no idea to attack a water planet without lots of nuke or hally. This should not be the only way or we only need super weapons in this case.

People in the water plant have their own disadvantages like slow moving units this make it is possible to build a portal on some islands if the map is big enough. But the defense will become just build some ion cannon around the islands then only super weapon can break though(of course need some orbit fighter)
    And it is true that people on a water planet is hard to attack other planet as portal is not for air and navy.
    At last they can build land units on the island, but others may not be able to build ships.

So, a water planet will be a really good place for getting resource as kind of easy to defend hard to attack. I can not come up with a good idea with this. So I am looking forward to hearing what do you think about this.
  2. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

I mean there's the obvious, standard answer which is don't let them become entrenched. But, yeah, you're probably not looking for that.

Orbital war is the only non-super-weapon way to do it. Lots of orbital fighters, fabbers, and lasers. The fighters are mainly ioncannon fodder. The fabbers (loooots of them with good eco to back them up) are for instantly popping up anchors. Lasers are for... lasering stuff.

After you make a hole you can use transports to deliver advanced air fabbers to start navy building. Need lots and lots of these as well.

Until more stuff is added to the game that's the best we've got, in my view.
    sudomilk and MrTBSC like this.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I still don't understand why transporting naval engies and naval gates and air using gates isn't a thing.
  4. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Answer: With difficulty.
    lapsedpacifist likes this.
  5. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

do we realy have to use gates for everything? this sounds rather cheap to be honest ...
    i think this will get solved better with Carriers and transportable hovercraftunits ...
    Pendaelose and LeatherNeck2382 like this.
  6. LeatherNeck2382

LeatherNeck2382 Member

I'd love to have some sort of interplanetary carrier for aircraft (even if expensive). That alone would make assaulting water planets much less "spammy".
    verybad and Pendaelose like this.
  7. Geers

Geers Post Master General

With a straw planet!
    sudomilk, nateious and enderdude like this.
  8. muhatib

muhatib Member

first we need: hoover units, underwater layer: subs /seafloor units, water teleporters , underwater constructions, ship transporters.......................then we can play on water planets.
  9. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Drop water craft directly from orbit. They can handle it.
  10. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well we do have the current amphibious bot.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  11. Geers

Hoover1.jpg hoover2.jpg
  12. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

One thing that would be kinda awesome, would be a huge drop ship and i do mean freaking huge. Just fly in and unload in orbit seeing units rain down.

Even better would be the unit cannons obviously Move another planet into place and then start shooting units across.

Being able to build buildings in orbit, then call them down and land and unpack on the ground.

Mega units would be another brilliant solution. A unit so big and so expensive that you only build it when you need some brute force. Then build this baby and launch it down. To hold the line long enough to set up a foot hold.
  13. muhatib

muhatib Member

14. Geers

MrTBSC and aevs like this.
  15. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

that tone of upsetment is just classic.. xD well done @Geers
  16. MrTBSC

thx, but soooo no, thx
    lets not have that ... at all ...
  17. bobucles

Are you unfamiliar with how we retrieve things from space? It goes in the drink.

Boats are aerodynamic, heavily armored, and fully capable of cushioning their impact with a few hundred yards of ocean. That is not true for land units. Just drop them in. What's the problem with that?
    drschuess likes this.
  18. MrTBSC

i want everything that is in surface to be brought into surface and not dropped
    the only exception i accept are ground- and hovercraftunits launched/dropped in by the unitcannon
    transporting naval should be limited to small boats ... still no drop ... that´s just too rediculous
    i mean ... you are asking for the ability of a fleet of leviathans and narwhals to be droppable into the middle of a navalbattle?
    Last edited: July 2, 2014
  19. bobucles

Oh, I'M SORRY. Did my answer not have enough nanomachines to satisfy you? Perhaps I should have suggested structural integrity fields or energy barriers some bullshit.

Except you don't need ANY of that, because dropping things into the ocean is super easy. Worried about atmosphere? Encase the damn thing in ice. It's practically FREE and makes a damn good construction material anyway. Worried about final impact? Use literally ablative anything. Cavitation is real tech today and it turns water resistance into nothing.

Nature has figured out how to drop rocks from space for billions of years. It didn't need any nanomachines to do it. Hell we've been able to land in the ocean for over 50 years, and our tech is archaic next to this stuff. I think these super robots can figure it out.

Yeesh. Kids these days. Claim to love Sci Fi, yet they can't accept answers that are simple, elegant, and entirely possible without any damn magic.
    nlaush, Nicb1, drschuess and 2 others like this.
  20. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

I still like the idea of a giant drop pod that KEWS into the water and then unpacks to become an armored T1 shipyard. We can allow it to build it's first few units while still packed, so that they roll out as soon as the unpacking is complete. We now have a way to invade naval planets and a unique system for delivering naval combat to the surface.

I am also still hell bent on having an orbital carrier that descends into the air layer to deploy/recover aircraft.

Ground units have the teleporter.

Above all I think that every invasion type should have a unique means of transport and that as much as possible each invasion should be vulnerable to different defenses and each can exploit different weakness in the enemies defense.
    sudomilk, calmesepai and corteks like this.