[Poll] A more diverse, TA inspired Energy System (Wind-Tidal-Solar-Geothermal-Nuclear).

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by eroticburrito, June 14, 2014.

?

Sound good?

1. Hell Yeah!

77.0%
  2. Hell No!

19.0%
  3. Hell Meh, I have a few ideas, let's talk it over!

4.0%
  1. muhatib

muhatib Member

I think, this not long time.... but it can be confusing

Névtelen.png
    (WYSIWYG)
    Pendaelose and eroticburrito like this.
  2. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

Fission is so un-futuristic , it's all about fusion
  3. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Thank you for making a better diagram to explain this!

This is a legitimate concern - balance would depend on how fast a planet is rotating (i.e. how long night and day are). This could be reflected in the UI in some way (a Clock rotating, which shows when night commences for Land and Orbital).

Orbital Solar Arrays could fold up to give a visual in-game cue that they aren't generating power.

Slightly darker nights are another popular feature which would make it easier to distinguish Night/Day.

Alternatively, there are the 'Battery' or 'Reduced Night Generation' options for Orbital Solar, though this would be incongruous with Land Solar not generating at night - and Solar Energy without Sunlight sort of goes against the point of calling it Solar.

Can anybody think of a clear in-game cue which would make this instantly clear to a player?
    Last edited: June 29, 2014
  4. muhatib

muhatib Member

new version :)
    this model work only on: 90° and has only the planet axle rotation
    Interesting. we can made all time dark/light side planets(moon earth)... and the light side has rich of sunlight all time. If we can change the angle.
    but i don't know, this is very complicated lot of work and hard to balance.......

nap2.png
    this is reality
    Earth's Orbital Motion copy.jpg
    reality is awesome (not reality or awesome)
    Last edited: July 2, 2014
    eroticburrito likes this.
  5. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

So I'm sure no one cares about this detail... but here it is anyway: Nuclear plants can't explode like nuclear bombs even when destroyed. Like, it's literally impossible.
  6. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Though they can meltdown and leave a blisteringly hot and radioactive mess beneath the core.
  7. eroticburrito

In real life I totally care :)
    When I'm playing a video game with robots blowing each-other up, I prefer an explosion to a meltdown ;)
    eratosthenes likes this.
  8. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

I totally feel ya there, haha
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Yeah. I'd be inclined to say that comment isn't true anymore.

Uber changes their mind a lot.
  10. brianpurkiss

I don't think exploding power plants is a good gameplay mechanic.

Power is an incredibly important resource. If you can just blow through a power plant field with incredible ease because you blew up just one...

Just doesn't sound like a fun mechanic.
  11. trialq

trialq Post Master General

For ease of implementation, just make all the different energy sources produce constant energy. Say tidal produces +650 and costs the same as normal energy at +600, so there's a strategic benefit to water. If in the future we can detect the biome we're on, geothermal could be anywhere on a lava planet, wind farms can be on earth, tropical, maybe desert, etc.

None of this fancy LoS stuff, variable output etc.
    Jaedrik likes this.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It was a joke more than anything. :p
  13. eroticburrito

I agree. Losing an entire resource field like that would suck.

Therefore the AOE and damage would need to be pretty low (I originally suggested 20% of the Nuclear Plant's HP, and the AOE would be the equivalent of one adjacent Plant).

That way it'd only happen if you blew up several and they were all close enough to another load of plants. Or if several close-packed Generators were already heavily damaged then one could set them off.

It'd be fairly rare, but another good reason to expand your base out and not turtle.
  14. brianpurkiss

Even if they aren't clumped together and are spread out in a line, it means you have a domino effect. Blow up one, and then the rest fall really quickly.

I just don't see how it's a positive addition to the game. Not for the basic staple energy plant. Especially when the other energy plants to compensate give clear advantages to people based on their spawns.

The only way I could see volatile energy being viable is if it was in a high yield low health T2 energy plant.
  15. eroticburrito

If they were in a line then they'd still have 80% health :) not that weak!
    The chain reaction mechanic would only really happen if plants were both very closely packed and/or heavily damaged.
  16. brianpurkiss

It's a domino effect.

One gets destroyed, damages the next one. And then they all blow up faster. It's a domino effect.

Also, I strongly oppose Uber's current 3x health. All the 3x health does is make raiding with T1 units nigh on useless, and continue to force the "must upgrade to T2" direction.
  17. nanolathe

Funnily enough I get constant complaints about RCBM's Adv Power and Metal to the point at which volatility is just about the last card I have to play. It can't get cheaper for the power, and reducing the power just means you need to build more, leading to farms of Adv generators; exactly opposing the desired goal of only needing a few of them.

I'm experimenting with volatility now but I have a sneaking suspicion that, for all the gusto people on the TeamSpeak are requesting it, it won't translate into a fun experience.
  18. eroticburrito

Yeaaaah but it doesn't ordinarily cause the next domino to fall, and even if it does, then that one won't cause the one after to fall. I'd be pretty unimpressed if that's how my dominos behaved after I went to all the trouble of setting them up lol!

A little extra damage could complement T1 Raiding? :D
  19. eroticburrito

I think low volatility (20% damage based on total HP) might be best as we have all the fun of a damaging explosion which can scale up based on the Generator, but which will rarely/never cause us to lose all our Generators in a chain reaction.
  20. nanolathe

That isn't enough to reduce the cost by much... which is the compliant; too expensive (when it's actually quite cheap for the power).

*sigh*
    eroticburrito likes this.