Will asteroid belts be feasible?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drewsuser, June 28, 2014.

1. grogyan

grogyan New Member

That will have to depend on how many player/AIs are playing.
    Uber did say they want to have massive, multi day epic wars, so you would want to have a sizable asteroid belt to use as bombardment weapons.
    On games with 4 or less player/AIs this could quite easily have up to, say, 10 landable/Halleyable asteroids, too many and you'd be forever playing a game of hide and seek.
  2. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

If asteroids are implemented there should be a way to counter them because you can't prevent that many objects from hitting your base by getting there first.
    drewsuser and PeggleFrank like this.
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well we really do need a better system for the engines.

Making then require vast amounts of resources and engines to set up, and depending on size, might actually be hard to pay off for the destruction they do.

Like what if you needed as many engines to cover like one fifth of the surface? That would massively up scale the cost and time to accomplish a hit, while also making a player pay for using a larger moon for full planetary annihilation.
  4. twinnuke

twinnuke New Member

Uber Unit. WE need the Mavor from SupCom to interplanetary shell the other players Holleys. ahah
  5. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

I'm sorta opposed to uber artillery like this, because there's no way to defend against it, short of taking it out. And that is an issue.

You could implement shields as a defense, but that's been debated to death already.

Although I'd love to see this in a mod. Cool Idea
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  6. monte93

monte93 Active Member

I just hope they fix the asteroids diameter to the radius of destruction so asteroids are useful but not neary as destructive as a planet. also the after math terrain change from a planet/asteroid smash
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

They said in Vanguard newsletter, that their itinerary plan for belts, is decals for thickness, with a few useable ones. Useable could be more or less. Eco and size may vary. They may generate a new asteroid when an old one is destroyed in collision.

would make orbital fun, having an asteroid toss like it were a snowball fight. Seeing chunks removed from a 1500 planet over and over to the music of "boomdyada boomdyada boomdyada boomdyada"...
    PeggleFrank and corteks like this.
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Yeah. That's what I remember.

Uber has said that they want planet smashing to be a common occurrence. Sometimes even happen several times in a match.

We think PA is epic right now? It'll be insane when that comes around.
    PeggleFrank and corteks like this.
  9. thetrophysystem

I wonder what happens when you hit a crater right on another crater. My guess is nothing, as in the old one overlaps the new one, but it would be nice for some realistic addition in size of a crater inside a crater.

I am eager to pelt a large 1500 with 7-8 impacts though. Maybe let the ai spawn on it while I spawn and cap everywhere else. An ai would cover a 1500 completely, and that's when id pelt it, to see the sheer destruction.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  10. brianpurkiss

Uber has said that you'll be able to batter a planet so much that lava starts bubbling up and eventually, the planet is completely obliterated.

So I imagine battering the same spot will actually do stuff. Eventually.

It'd also be cool to have planets spawn at the start with a large crater in them.
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Or even simply more mixed biomes, earth and lava would look nice. :D
  12. thetrophysystem

This would be an evolutionary step. Make biomes, like minecraft did, rare or rare to touch. Like lava lakes above ground in minecraft.

I too think it is necesary though, that planets be destroyable. I think right now, certain planets cannot target other planets. I think the system should be expanded, to allow larger planets to hit smaller planets and cause a crater in the large planet and the large planet takes the orbit of the smaller one, and for equal size planets to destroy each other outright. Maybe also show impact points to the "launching player" on both planets if possible, so you know where is in danger if you are banking on surviving a large planet colliding with a small one. Should that be too much work, equal and larger ones cause total destruction and crumble of both planets, I could live with equal or larger just resulting in both planets being gone.
    corteks and PeggleFrank like this.
  13. brianpurkiss

Having random lava pools on earth/desert would be pretty awesome...
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  14. brianpurkiss

That functionality will be added.

Eventually...

Can't wait. Balanced smashing mechanics are desperately needed to balance multi-planet gameplay.
  15. thetrophysystem

It is wierd. I played last faction leader in absurd GW, and my planet was smashed, but I really wanted to return to it because free metal. You can return to them. It just, when I did the empty space above the crater was where units walked. That is the reason Garat said it would be easier to keep planets "fully destroyed" from impact, so pathing on craters didn't happen so blatantly.
  16. brianpurkiss

Yeah. That's one of the big bugs with planet smashing. The pathing doesn't change with the crater. :-(
  17. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Active Member

I believe they said something somewhere (maybe on the kickstarter page) about having a soft requirement on halleys.

In other words, you can build one halley on a moon, and try to smash another planet with it. However, the single halley would be horribly slow, and, if destroyed, would make the planet's trajectory even slower. More halleys would make it move faster and would increase accuracy, which is very important when you share the same planet.

Maybe we could do the same thing with asteroids. Being able to build multiple small-scale engines on an asteroid (up to 5 or something) to increase speed and accuracy for sniping undefended structures, or building one engine on each asteroid for a massive meteor shower over your opponent's base would be glorious.

Alternatively, we could add mass to an asteroid by giving it a metal casing. This would cost a massive amount of metal, obviously, and would make the asteroid move slower, but would increase the damage dealt and the size. Perhaps after reaching a radius of 300 or so, it could be shifted into a unique orbit, and used as its own planet; it would take on the shape of a metal planet, but wouldn't have any metal spots/inactive technology on the surface, and could be used as either a KEW or a battleground.

To keep matches going for days upon days, we need the ability to not only destroy planets, but also create them... with limitations.
  18. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

we could have 2 versions of the halley 1 for use with asteroids and 1 for use on moons and planets.
    igncom1 and PeggleFrank like this.