The orbital game needs to be improved (with suggestions)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Davioware, June 27, 2014.

1. Davioware

Davioware New Member

The orbital game is too simple, it doesn't feel good. I'm guessing it's because it's unfinished, but if otherwise, please consider improving it. Anchor spamming is boring and effective, and avenger combat feels unsatisfactory; a bunch of overlapping units firing perfect accuracy lasers at each other while stopped. (most of the time we can't even tell how many units there actually are because they just overlap into one dense mass). I recommend making them be able to fire while moving, and making the laser slower/less accurate so that it can be possibly dodged if moving perpendicularly, and perhaps give orbitals the blob path finding and separation algorithm, like the bots have, so that unorganized masses of units cant all fire at once, and positioning of an army matters. There also needs to be some sort of space crowd control. Perhaps some sort of space artillery which can deal with avenger blobs and anchors easily, but die to small avenger forces. Also, ground based mobile anti-orbit, so anchors can't keep off ground forces effectively. In the spirit of TA like names, perhaps the Gentleman/Butler (since he holds the umbrella for other units, hurr hurr). Also, the transition for deep space into the orbital layer needs to be improved somehow. A point mass of 100 avengers appearing at a single point feels very unpolished, and it's often not clear what's going on, or where the units will appear on the planet when you see them coming during their orbital path around the solar system. They just kind of fly in, and jarringly pop in at a random point. Perhaps show a landing animation into the orbital layer, which clearly shows where and what units are landing with maybe 3 seconds of warning (if a deepspace radar is up on the planet). If not that, then at least make some sort of ping circle appear on the orbital layer where units are landing, and 3 seconds later have them fade in.
  2. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

I would doubt that 1 starship is *finished*.

We typically complain about this in our games... I'm sure great things are to come.
  3. monte93

monte93 Active Member

what did spore do code wise? they seem to have smooth trajectories and even allow for smooth trajectory changes(i know this due to a mod witch allows to slow-down travel times in spore). ignore if irrelevant jajaj
  4. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

That would most likely be "orbital bomb-o-bots". Vulnerable to low DPS but high ROF units like Avengers, but almost immune to the high DPS but comparable low ROF of Anchors. Also not suited for hunting down fast moving units.
  5. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

The Anchor vs Avenger combat could be improved by adding a 3rd unit.

I'm advocating a long range, high damage weapon with a terribly slow turn rate and a very slow fire rate. It could 1 -2 shot anchors but would struggle to engage Avengers.
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

So, siege> turret> tank?

That would be nice.

Although I do have my reservations aboiut having orbital units fight directly at all, but that's just me.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  7. Pendaelose

siege> turret> tank > siege does generally beat the hell out of turret > tank. The Anchor balance is far too one sided. If an enemy has bunkered down with anchors over a small moon it's a royal pain in the *** to do anything about it without just giving up and using a nuke spam. Spamming Avengers is just meat in the grinder and nothing else is landing while they have the orbit anchored.

I can't remember what topic it was in, but we did talk about the idea of moving combat out of the orbital layer, but I'm against it. A strong example would be during a planetary assault. If you have to land units to fight the orbital above you while the enemy controls the ground and the orbit, you're going to have a bad time.

Also, I don't agree with the "combat belongs on the ground" methodology. I understand where people are coming from when they feel that way, and I'm not calling anyone wrong, I just don't feel the same. I feel like ignoring any layer should be a fatal mistake. If you completely lose control of the air (no AA and no interceptors) you are going to lose. If you are on a ship friendly map and you lose control of the sea you are going to lose. I don't see orbital as any less important than ground, air, or sea.

I feel orbital is underdeveloped and needs more units to balance out a bit better, but I think space combat and orbital control have a valid place in the game. Btw, orbital control doesn't just mean Anchors and Avengers. Just like AA, if you have enough ground to Air you don't need interceptors... if you are only interested in defending against orbital it should be feasible with umbrellas, mobile umbrellas ("Butlers", I liked that suggestion), and anti-satellite missiles fired from air, ground, or naval.
    igncom1 likes this.
  8. igncom1

I know, and I know it isn't going to happen.

But keeping the battle on the ground is just me. ;)

Id prefer orbital stuff to be static structures, and have no orbital to orbital weapons, making fighting against and with orbital unit a vertical battle, and also make transports automatic and one way trips.

:p
  9. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

One thing that can bring the fight back down to the ground is to make orbital T3.
    Factory build-able by T2 fabbers and make units twice as expensive as T2 units.
    Instead of being able to jump to orbital in the first 5 minutes, it would push the fight over uncontested planets to 15-25 minute mark. Orbital will be a luxury that only the king of the planet can afford.
  10. Pendaelose

That is an interesting approach. It immediately makes me think of the cold war era. I have mixed feelings about it. If the goal is put combat on the ground but allow orbital to still have a full combat range like it does now then your suggestion is solid. It's not a question of balance anymore, but rather a question of how you want the game to play out.

I like where orbital is at now. I like the option of "screw this planet, I'm leaving" being a viable mid-game strategy.
  11. igncom1

I like orbitals 2 step system of basic orbitals radar and interspersion, and a little transportation.

And later on the unlock of advanced super weapons and space borne technology, along with at that time in the game the economy to support mass scale transport construction.

Although Id like a little more support elements, and less direct killing power.
  12. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

It would have to be balanced, it isn't a perfect solution.
    With this approach I would expect to see more multiplanet spawns and beefier orbital units. (I would like an orbital navy but that would be another post) The weakest player on a contested planet will have to stick it out to the end without an easy retreat option but the stronger players would be able to approach orbital by mid-game.
    However orbital would be a costly investment, resources may be better spent preventing your opponent from getting off planet.
    Last edited: June 27, 2014
    Pendaelose likes this.