Can't play when FRAPS is open.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by mykillmetal, June 27, 2014.

1. mykillmetal

mykillmetal New Member

Anyone know of a fix?
  2. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

known issue, don't know of a solution other than use something else.
  3. mykillmetal

mykillmetal New Member

as in a different game? Or other than FRAPS... Because FRAPS is all I use. So I'm basically fucked until I can find a fix.
  4. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

We'll need more details. Many of us in the office run FRAPS constantly, with zero problems.
  5. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I use a free piece of recording software called 'open broadcast software'. It takes a while to set up, but onece you get it going in my opinion it is better than FRAPS. Give it a try and let me know how you go (just remember to set your bitrate to a minimum of 3000 to get a good quality vid)
    lokiCML likes this.
  6. mykillmetal

mykillmetal New Member

I just used OBS. The second I pressed "preview stream" it (PA) crashed...what extra info would be helpful?

Windows 8.1 64-bit
    8gig ram
    NVIDIA GT640

FRAPS 3.5.99
    OBS .625b
  7. mykillmetal

mykillmetal New Member

What extra info would be helpful? Are there crash logs like KSP has? If so, where are they?
  8. sycspysycspy

sycspysycspy Active Member

Solution to almost all problems:
    1. verify files
    2. update graphics card drivers
    3. update direct x
    4. Posting dxdiag.txt on forums so you can actually get useful help

look at nixtempestas's signature...
  9. mykillmetal

mykillmetal New Member

did all of that except dxdiag.txt have no clue where to find that. still no change... I even deleted and re-downloaded/installed PA.
  10. Davioware

Davioware New Member

forget FRAPS, download MSI afterburner, it does the exact same thing and has more options.
  11. mishtakashi

mishtakashi Active Member

I run both launchers on windows 8.1 an have no issues with fraps. I do have an older version though..
  12. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Thats odd, OBS works fine for me and FRAPS is clearly working fine for other people.
    A dxdiag upload would be useful for solving the issue now. Also I have no idea if this will work, but make sure that you are running the latest version of your graphics drivers.
  13. Geers

Geers Post Master General

capture.gif
    tatsujb likes this.
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

and click "Save All Information" and upload the file on your desktop to your next answer.
  15. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Fraps works fine for me too.
  16. mykillmetal

mykillmetal New Member

17. mykillmetal

mykillmetal New Member

Also....I just downloaded dxtory and that, too, does not work. Instead of crashing, it just doesn't know the game is running. It won't detect. OBS just crashes once I click "preview stream". And PA won't even open to the main screen when FRAPS is open.
  18. Zaflis

Zaflis New Member

Why would you click that anyway? It's not related to recording itself. Open the broadcast settings and set 2 hotkeys, 1 for Start recording, and second for Stop recording. On same tab change also the video saving path to where you want, for example "C:\video\.flv" Add new source in the Sources list for "Game capture" and select Planetary annihilation. Then once ingame use the hotkeys you assigned before. You just have to trust that it works since it might give no signal if it's recording or not. Test with 10 second short video to be sure.

To my experience OBS is even better than Bandicam, no software ads and just free everything. High framerate high quality for youtube. Don't know about fraps cause i'd have to pay for it.