Playtest with the Community – Improved UI, New Strategic Icons – Jun 25

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, June 26, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

• More contrast on the build bar makes the icons easier to see.
    • Lots of performance improvements
    • The new strategic icons seem to have a lot more variety to make it easier to notice the differences.
    • New Firing sounds for a lot of units and structures
    • Here’s what the new UI tweaks look like.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
    • With the 3x health increase, it takes T1 units forever to destroy enemy buildings, making raiding and flanking of the enemy base a lot less effective. You destroy one or two buildings before units arrive to defend.
    • Multithreading coming soon.
    • The game will better use more of the computer’s processing power thanks to some technical mumbo jumbo.
    • If you’re running into the UI lag, try clicking only once. Don’t click 30 times when you only need to click once. However, the UI lag should be gone with the new PTE build that it soon to be released.
    • Area reclaim, and setting up build queues on top of wrecks isn’t working very well as of late.
    ozonexo3 and emraldis like this.
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

The changelogs on these are getting smaller and smaller.
    If I know anything about game development (and I... really don't) initial release might be pretty damn close.
  3. brianpurkiss

Uber most certainly is getting closer and closer to release.

There's a saying in development: "The last 10% takes 90% of the time."

It's possible to make lots of progress really quickly during early stages of development. But then the final bits of polish, the parts that separates the good from the great, takes a ton of time. The final little bit that irons out all of the bugs and gets all of the tiniest details just right.

If you don't get the final polish and details just perfect, it degrades the quality of the entire project by a ton. *cough*battlefield4*cough*

Even though we're "close" – we still could be several months off.
    ArchieBuld and emraldis like this.
  4. cellbone

cellbone Member

I think we are off enough from the release date enough to have a hardcopy of the game in retail stores, haha.
  5. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

the launch of PA is not an END, but a new beginning. maybe some features like planet destruction, asteroids and gas giants, probably be added in post-release updates
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

If I might voice an opinion?

Could we make the large buildings x3 HP, and the more expendable ones only, like x1.5 or just the normal amount of HP?

Like I know raiding is a important thing (That I like), but so is having buildings that won't go down to the big bad wolf.

So if big builds like factory's were meaty, and extractors, power plants and radars were not, then raiding could gut bases, without being able to actually destroy them.

That would be nice.
  7. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Love the performance in the PTE, but the orbital icons is way too Visible, it looks like some kids game with those icons. :/
  8. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

I love the new icons, still need to do a lot of adjustment though. I'm struggling with getting to grips with them again :(
  9. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

The orbital icons are pretty close to unusable. All I can ever see is a huge blob of Avengers.
  10. aevs

aevs Post Master General

In the video he mentions that there was a test model for something that didn't work out... is he talking about the control module?
  11. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Yes
  12. jonasmod

jonasmod Active Member

13. brianpurkiss

You're welcome.

I'm glad you enjoy them.