[Assassin] About to grapple an unsuspecting sniper?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Strategy and Tactics' started by nickeboy, January 24, 2011.

1. nickeboy

nickeboy New Member

Why not lunge + slash instead? Lunge to the back almost kills a sniper, all you need is one or two sword swings to kill him. It's faster, and you save your grapple cooldown for a heavier opponent!
    Last edited: January 24, 2011
  2. That Dutch Guy

That Dutch Guy New Member

Re: [Assassi] About to grapple an unsuspecting sniper?

Also, if you have level three lolcloke, use it before the lunge to make it critical! Woohoo!

By the way, a clip of lolcloked sharookens will also do the job.
  3. nickeboy

nickeboy New Member

Do lolcloke-kritz actually affect lunge? :eek:
  4. Vleessjuu

Vleessjuu New Member

If you want to slash a sniper, you'd better hope he doesn't have a trap near him and you'd better start jumping like a madman (which you can't if there was a trap). Any halfdecent sniper would grapple you right out of your lolslashing spree otherwise.
  5. nickeboy

nickeboy New Member

Lunge + one slash takes the same amount of time as lunge/grapple, so there's no difference. I'm not entirely sure if lunge + one slash is enough to score a kill. If not, lunge + 2 slashes most certainly is, and happens too fast for most snipers to react. The assassin can jump while slashing to be safe.

A decent assassin always watches out for icetraps anyway.
  6. Vleessjuu

Vleessjuu New Member

My point was that if there's a trap, lunge+grap will do the trick. If you go for lunge+slash, the sniper can escape while you're frozen.

Also, you assume that all snipers are oblivious and have no armour. That's not a smart thing to do.
  7. nickeboy

nickeboy New Member

Grapple has it's place. It's definetely wise to lunge + grapple if you see an ice trap next to the sniper. I'm just pointing out that accordin go my experiences, you don't need to grapple a sniper to kill him most of the time.

Sure, there's the risk of facing an insanely skilled sniper that severely punishes you for underestimating him. I just haven't faced too many yet.
  8. Caliostro

Caliostro New Member

You could...but why put yourself through that extra risk?

Unless there's something like a gunner nearby that you also need to backstab quickly, you're better off just get a 100% sure kill with the lunge+grab. Even if they turn around the facegrab still one hits snipers.
  9. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

It depends on the sniper's armor endorsement. If you know he's running without armor, then sure, this should work fine. But if he's got gold armor he'll have twice as much health, and that lunge+slash won't come anywhere near killing him.
  10. nickeboy

nickeboy New Member

That's the whole point. Sure, if there isn't anyone else I want to kill nearby, I'll grapple the sniper. But if the sniper is close to another viable target, there's no sense in wasting grapple on him.
  11. Shurryy

Shurryy New Member

Now this is a highly debatable tip, not to mention situational. :|
    I main sniper, and I don't find myself dying by a tiny lunge and an afterwards slash. Lunge + Grapple on the other hand... Curse it. Besides I would never let an assassin get the jump on me in the first place, as I am highly aware of my surroundings at all times! :D
  12. nickeboy

nickeboy New Member

Agreed, it is situational and does have it's risks, but I've seen way too many assassins lunge and then grapple a sniper with 1/20 of his health left. I'm just putting the possibility out.

Also, "never" is a rather loose term on the internet ;)
  13. Shurryy

Shurryy New Member

Of course by "NEVER" I mean not as long as I see it coming. :D
  14. Shmyea

Shmyea New Member

My fool proof plan is to simply Blind jump from below his position and manoeuvre yourself to land right behind him(or even in front if u know he has no armour perks) for a grapple. This way it doesn't matter if he has traps or not.