Planetary Annihilation OST - Near Halo OST levels?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by shrapmaelite, June 22, 2014.

1. shrapmaelite

shrapmaelite Member

Throughout the 10+ hours of gameplay I have gained since I bought PA I have really enjoyed the soundtrack. While I feel a part or two of a score here or there was taken and slightly modified from the Modern Warfare 3 OST and the closest any small bit of it sounds to Halo is in the Halo 3: ODST OST, I feel like this music has taken great cue in a well modified and differentiated, legendary style of Halo music. In other words, some lines sound similar to Halo 3: ODST OST or MW3 OST and it seems as if the writer(s) took the basic idea from those soundtracks and did a wonderful job letting the music compliment itself in and out with great harmonic tones contrasted by rough instruments in an opposite ladder sending warm adrenaline through your body as the notes meet together; the bass weaving your ears through the epic journey. Altogether, I feel this music may become as legendary as I feel the Halo OST is and the crew that went about creating this soundtrack is almost equal with Marty O'Donnell's skill (imo) alongside Hans Zimmer and Brian Tyler. If you aren't an avid listener to H3 or MW OSTs then I would suggest giving 'em a shot as they can be pretty epic (Halo 3: ODST, specifically). When you go back to PA soundtracks you'll really respect the crew. Anyway, I guess that's all I really wanted to say... Anyone have anything to add on or suggest?
    camycamera, corteks, Jaedrik and 2 others like this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The 'team' in the case of pa was one man... Howard ubers resident Beethoven :) his work is epic, no doubting that!

Another fantastic soundtrack you should listen to is the total annihilation soundtrack (the predecessor to pa).
  3. shrapmaelite

shrapmaelite Member

Haha, funny you should say that! I literally JUST watched his 6 minute "corner" video, lulz. Haha and yea I used to listen to the Total Annihilation soundtracks - that's my childhood game and I still love playing it with friends every now and then.
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

If you haven't tried out, the spring engine is worth a look if you like ta. The balanced annihilation mod gives you the full ta unit set, but with a modern full 3d engine and a powerful ui with area commanded and such :)
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

PA has some catchy songs, but other then the theme there is nothing distinctive in the sound track, it all blurs together in a wave of operatic stuff that doesn't seem like its trying to be unique, but more it screaming that it want you to think it's unique.

People remember the halo songs because the songs were unique, defined and actual songs that while all in the same style were all nice to listen to.

PA's sound track just doesn't have that, it all the same to my ears, and it's the same problem supcom had too.
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I can catch a few songs, at least 2 or 3 that are really nice in PA's soundtrack.
  7. igncom1

No doubt, I like: Invictus, Remember who you are, the progenitors, tides of steel, prepare for war, lapse in synapse, requiem for the fallen, planets collide and mechanisms of war.

But the rest are really, mehhhhhhhh.
  8. squishypon3

I find it real funny when I can hear the faint noise of a person in the background. I swear I could hear someone at points in just a few songs.
    igncom1 likes this.
  9. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Didn't you just name half of them? :p
    igncom1 likes this.
  10. squishypon3

I'm sorry, but nine songs are not half of 26. :(
  11. trialq

trialq Post Master General

He was rounding to the nearest bakers dozen ;)
  12. igncom1

Well those ones are nice, but it still doesn't cover my concerns.
  13. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

If you don't count the three or four 30 second long tracks that play at the beginning and end of a game, then 9 is half or almost half.
  14. zurginator

zurginator Member

I must say I was disappointed in how far many of the songs feel stylistically different than "Mechanisms of War", as that song is just earth-shatteringly awesome.

It's still a good soundtrack for sure, I was just hoping to add something new to my "best of all time" list.

Still, it's probably in my top 15, and considering what all is up there that's high praise from me.
    Last edited: June 23, 2014
  15. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

I think Howard Mostrom's previous work in Demigod is better than this.

16. camycamera

camycamera Member

agreed. PA's OST is among my favourite music of all time up there with Halo's OST.
    shrapmaelite likes this.
  17. shrapmaelite

shrapmaelite Member

I'm finally able to play more games and everything on higher settings because I recently bought a new CPU. Later this summer I plan on getting to Spring :D
  18. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

The OST surely is awesome. Possibly some of my favourite video game music ever.
    shrapmaelite likes this.
  19. shrapmaelite

shrapmaelite Member

I can't argue; that's definitely some good music. While it is good, I prefer more hyped music with variety where Demigod seems to have a slow climax and steady overall tone. It also doesn't seem to have a defined feel that I can think along with. Not bad though, and thanks for sharing! I'm going to listen to more of it later tonight to get a better idea.
  20. shrapmaelite

shrapmaelite Member

On average I listen to about 3/4 or 2/3 of an entire OST mainly due to Halo; about 1/2 not counting Halo.

And I have read much of what you wrote already. I think you've done a great job so far and all I really have to say is, keep it up and you'll have your own ideas in the PA storyline.