Lead Writer here. Have lore questions? I have answers! Maybe...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mkhusker, June 20, 2014.

1. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Hi Matt :)

Thank you for coming to the Forums.

My question links back to a thread from a while ago which sparked a lot of (mostly interesting and productive) discussion about the Commanders' genders. Apologies in advance for the flamewar in that thread.

I also did a little bit of fanfic which I've been telling myself I'd to return to.

Basically - How human are the Commanders' consciousnesses?
    Do they have free will?
    Can they have genders?
    Are they as sentient as you or I, or superior/inferior in certain ways (a lack of empathy, for example)?
    I know there isn't a one-size fits all answer and such questions are probably best explored by experimenting whilst writing, but I couldn't help myself.

Thanks again :D
    Mr EroticBurrito
  2. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

I'll answer them in order:

How human are the Commanders' consciousnesses?
    A: Humans created them. It is yet to be revealed just how much of themselves they put into the machines.

Do they have free will?
    A: Tryphon rebelled against the Coalition (Progenitors) of his own free will, so yes, I would say they do.

Can they have genders?
    A: Can machines have genders? They do have free will....

Are they as sentient as you or I, or superior/inferior in certain ways (a lack of empathy, for example)?
    A: We will have to see....:)
  3. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Nice one :) Thank you Matt!
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

:( no answers for me ?
  5. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

Sorry about that! Yes I will answer your questions best I can.

As far as what factions do all the Commanders belong to, I really cannot answer that one at this time. If you want a run down of the differences between the factions and why they are fighting? Read through the teasers on each faction found here http://www.uberent.com/pa/. You'll have to navigate through them to find all of them.
    SolitaryCheese and PeggleFrank like this.
  6. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Lead writer? Any change you also write about steel?
    chronosoul likes this.
  7. WarriorServent

WarriorServent Member

I have a quick question or two about the metal planets; when were they created relative to the rest of the events, and can you give us any hints as to what they do/how we will eventually activate them in-game? About half the ones that I have fought on have had a area that looks suspiciously like where you would put a giant gun/the opening for the Death Star's main cannon.
  8. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

The metal planets are remnants from a bygone era.....what exactly was their purpose? Answers to that will be coming! :)
    SolitaryCheese likes this.
  9. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Hello and welcome to the forums!

While PA, TA and SupCom share themes, it feels to me a lot like they're simply different versions (timelines/alternate realities?) of the same event.

As a question though, the humans fought the Xiphid hegemony (i hope i spelled that right). What exactly are these Xiphid? are they aliens?
  10. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

Yes, the Xziphid are an advanced sentient race of beings. They also happen to be the first (and only) humanity has ever encountered. It has not been revealed yet however exactly what they look like underneath all that armor. I guess the only ones who know the answer to that question right now are Blogar and me. :)
    SolitaryCheese likes this.
  11. fraxtion

fraxtion Member

What exactly is the Progenitor Commander? A prototype Commander? A loyalist commander?
  12. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

I really want the Xiphid to be insectoid's in the lore.
  13. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Where is your team-badge thing? That was the first question that popped into my head. The second was "Why do people bother with string theory? It's not like you can test it." but I'm probably broken.
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Nah, they should be bubble creatures that live in gas giants, obviously.

Edit: My quoted broke, and I'm on mobile so I'm too lazy to fix it.
  15. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

The reason being i want to do a Xiphid race skin pack and commander, and i am almost finished modeling the commander
  16. squishypon3

Hehe, well I was only kidding anyway. :p Also, it'd be great to make a mod at some points that creates all different faction units.
  17. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

Do we have lore for how the weapons work? The tooltips say 'lasers' for Dox etc. but they look a LOT more like slow firing EMG rounds to me.
  18. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

One of my favourite parts of TA was the manual with the detailed descriptions of how the weapons work.
    I love this sort of thing ;)
    Jaedrik likes this.
  19. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

How do commanders travel from one solar system to the next, by ship or long range teleport ?
    Do they teleport just the commander or a "short" range warpship carrying the commander ?

Is the method for leaving a solar system going to become part of gameplay ? as in maybe having to build a galactic gate for your commander after your victory ? would make the campaign feel more tied together :)

Do any of the commanders know how to make a new commander from scratch ? will they ever learn ?

Were the Xziphid entirely wiped out in the war or will we maybe see them again ?

The Xziphid think humans are tasty, are we ? have humans evolved to become tasty in the future ?
  20. squishypon3

That's just because the ammo is WIP, it should look like lasers when they do a full pass on effects.