Make your own commanders

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by metaxas, June 19, 2014.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think the general consensus is that although they can have cosmetic differences (including weapon animations) the actual function of all the commanders should be equivalent. Otherwise it will quickly devolve into a pay to win system which I think should be avoided.

The thing is that player made commanders will be possible through mods- and I don't think that is an issue in relation to the 1k backers. As said above they get their commander made for them, allot of gamers don't have 3-D design experience so couldn't make their own anyway.

The issue about modding in commanders isn't really related to people creating them from scratch, there is an issue however that any commanders created by Uber theoretically could get rolled into a mod and that wouldn't be fair.
  2. metaxas

metaxas New Member

If the mods are uploaded to lets say steam workshop or a database like Spore did, Wont uber be able to control it so no commander created by uber will be rolled into a mod? Also i'm thinking more of user generated content from scratch not just Mods similar to the spore model.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Have you? I'll have to ask him how he got the model through, as for me, when I got it through papatran, after exporting to .FBX directly from 3Ds Max, and then imported it's .papa into Blender the bones were... odd, it's as if they weren't bones at all, all I could see where the bones SHOULD have been were the axis lines representing those points, there was however one bone- the base armature bone.
  4. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

Even if you controlled the steam workshop, there is a version of the game with no steam integration. And if you downloaded a special commander from the workshop, only you would be able to see it. Unless everytime you joined a game the special commander models were downloaded. If you play a lot of games, the space would add up very quickly.

And if enough mods are uploaded it would become nearly impossible to police it.

If only you could see your custom skin, then that's fine. But if others can see it as well (unless they also have that mod installed) it devalues the 1k commanders and the purchasable ones.
  5. metaxas

metaxas New Member

Yeah i somewhat agree, but how about letting people create commanders and once month the community votes and they get added to the game? Something like dota 2?
    I dont think this will devaluate the 1k commanders