Balance issues

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by sarversauce, June 18, 2014.

1. sarversauce

sarversauce Member

First off. I know it's still Gamma, and the team is doing many things with balance.
    I am happy that Combat Constructors can no longer aid in the the construction of Buildings and then turn around and **** out units every second, regardless of their tier or actual build time. That makes sense, thank you.

Now, what I'm taking issue is with someone building 20+ Vehicle Factories, and then just spamming ONE unit type.
    Can we get some Unit Caps please? Seriously. That's not strategy, that's Starcraft.
    t1 Tanks, range = too far. Makes Laser Defense towers useless, which means I also have to spam ONE unit type to keep up, thus removes Strategy from the strategy game.

Players need to be able to progress through the tiers, and technology and should be able to use everything in the game, however that is very much not happening, or t2 units are rendered useless by the sheer number of t1 units that someone is spamming from their 20+ Factories.

Back in 1999 we discovered in the game HOMEWORLD, that a lack of Unit Pop Caps would cost you the game, because eventually, you'd run out of RAM and the game would simply crash. (and yes, I know this isn't HOMEWORLD).
    Now, with SO much RAM available to everyone, they can simply do what they want, because they can.
    My question is, will there be limits to buildings and units?
    Should there be a setting to govern this in the game?
    If so, how should it be regulated? By Planet size or amount of Planets/moons in a game?
    There are a myriad of factors to play with, however it's really hard to do anything when you have someone who just spams 2,000 of one unit and can just go win, regardless of what you or anyone else is doing.
    All they have to do is figure out the Hot Key commands and the game is pretty much over.
    Now, with all of that said, it's slightly less of an issue if there are many planets within a system. However, there are still no pop cap limits and that is bad over all.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Unit Caps? Why do you want unit caps?

PA is supposed to be about massive armies.
    corteks likes this.
  3. sarversauce

sarversauce Member

I guess my question is: When will Unit Pop Caps be implemented? So that way I know when I can come back to the game.
  4. sarversauce

sarversauce Member

I don't mind massive armies, but when you can simply spam ONE unit type and just go win, there's NO strategy in that.
    IF the game remains this way, I will simply uninstall and ask for my money back.
  5. sarversauce

sarversauce Member

Their awesome concept of planet smashing is rendered absolutely useless at this time because of the ability to spam ONE unit type and go win.
  6. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

While spamming out just ONE unit type (T1 Tank) is effective, it is definitely not the best strategy. Rather, spamming out THREE unit types (T1 tanks, T1 flame tanks and grenadier bots) can beat out T1 quite well.

Also, if your enemy is spamming out just ONE unit type, then take advantage of their weakness. T1 Tanks have NO anti-air capabilities, so using bombers on them is VERY effective.

And as @brianpurkiss said, unit caps are NOT the way to go.
    corteks and mered4 like this.
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I would argue that isn't the case though.

Just because you can win by reclaiming a Commander with fabbers doesn't mean it's the best strategy. Similarly, just because you can win with just Ants, doesn't mean it's the best strategy.

An army with a diverse composition will win.

An army with Ants, Infernos, bomber support, and combat fabbers will curb stomp an army with just Ants. Even if the army of Ants is larger.
  8. elodea

elodea Post Master General

If they only spam tanks, why arn't you building bombers into your army?

Yes the game is very vehicle heavy, and that is a flaw, but i don't agree with population caps as the answer
    corteks likes this.
  9. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

this game should not be called an RTS, it should be called an RTMA (real time massive armies:D) It's a good thing to be called that. Oh and sarversauce, you probably remember the game where i produced only boom bots and sniped everyone... yeah

I do not think it is vehicle heavy. I win almost every game by spamming boom bots (server lags :oops:) and sniping commanders. Not to mention they can literally eat a massive section out of a base in seconds (usually the enemy doesn't even know haha). They also are my new favorite defense. Whether this is good is up to you.
  10. elodea

Well, i can win with boombots too against players who still have alot to learn, or players who still don't know how to defend well yet.

They are easily countered with infernos when attacking, and small number of dox or bombers when defending.
  11. killerkiwijuice

Yes, that is true. But even infernos and vanguards can't do much against 500 boom bots. The only counters that I see most effective are the t1 bombers and dox. Unless the enemy has their commander in orbit, there is always a way to snipe the commander with boom bots.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  12. elodea

I dno... :p it's not like you'd let someone build up 20 bot factories and 500 boombots in peace. What will they defend with while you are attacking them?

I'm pretty sure only 2 or 3 inferno will defeat 500 boombots. Mainly due to the pathing and targeting behaviour of boombots
  13. corteks

corteks Active Member

I played a game recently where I neglected to build all that much air support and focused heavily on land only. AI gave me a massive beating with huge swarms of bombers, since I had only a tiny amount of AA.

In other games I've played I've sometimes neglected a certain layer, such as orbital. This has never ended well for me. I've personally found while playing that you've got to be careful to not completely neglect any layer/strategy because then you allow your enemy a convenient stroll to your commander with something that'll make them go boom real fast.

Basically what I'm getting at is, considering my experience with the game since Alpha, I'm not sure how anyone could win against a somewhat focused player spamming a single unit type. I mean sure, if you haven't bothered to keep on scouting your enemy they might roll you with a million tanks cause you haven't organised your forces to respond to theirs, but really you have as much capacity to spam as the other player, and if they're choosing a single unit to spam endlessly you should probably be spamming out something that'll be able to one-up their all-in strategy.

Also creeping artillery into their base while defending your fabbers with a large force is pretty fun. Your enemy can hold back their forces if they don't wanna engage your swarm, but they'll slowly be blasted away. That or they can try and break through the swarm to get at the squishy fabbers, but have to give up units doing so :p
  14. killerkiwijuice

Nope. i do it all the time, they destroy anything from turrets to vanguards, yes vanguards, with maybe just 20 boom bots at the least. They are such a good defense in fact that they will defend long enough until you have a huge army of boom bots ready to eat half a base. Try it some time, i think you'll be surprised. You just have to drag the attack circle and they'll blow up anything inside (that is sort of glitchy sometimes though, they clump together when there is wreckage and die faster, so it is VERY micro intensive). The most factories i have built is 110, just for boom bots (it was also single planet).