Possibility of some kind of Mega Unit.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mrmatrixdlg, June 14, 2014.

?

Yay or Nay?

1. Yay

67.1%
  2. Nay

32.9%
  1. mrmatrixdlg

mrmatrixdlg New Member

Naval units have the largest size so far, but it would be pretty cool if we had something like a Thor or Cruiser from Star Craft. Of course, it's just a silly want but I still think it would be fun, giant units always make things interesting! *stomp stomp* *pew pew*
    cmdandy likes this.
  2. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Primarily I'd like to see a fun game done with the basic planned functionality in.

That said big arse units are always fun, so if someone would want to mod it in I wouldn't go out of my way to stop them.
  3. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

A big fat robot that is not some crazy unstoppable maniac which sweeps across anything that exists, but is merely there to support those cute little guys below him. Like a big damage sponge or an awesome mobile AA or a big flat tank that provides repairs for air units that land on its "spots", or another that shoots down nukes! :eek:

I think mega units could be great, but not in the shape SupCom had them. They should only serve as support units for the large groups of little units, and not replace them entirely.
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

First shield threads... now mega unit threads? @mrmatrixdlg These have been discussed many many times.

I vote no. Mega units invalidate other units and make the game all about rushing to be the first one to get to that mega unit.

PA is supposed to be about massive armies, not single units that destroy everything.
  5. n3bulu5

n3bulu5 Member

oh, i hope it will be possible..... big tanks that moving slow towards the enemy....

hmm... theoretical ...it should be possible to mod that stuff into PA (once it is clear how to) ..creat a model with bones and so on ... then put into the code that this unit can built directly from a tech 2 fabber.... done. if PA support unitbuilding directly from a fabber ?!
  6. onyxia2

onyxia2 Member

yes ofcourse, for the record small units are able to kill experimentals in SupCom. How do people not want experimental units?
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Also worth mentioning that mods will add in mega units.

In fact, one such mod is already being worked on.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  8. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

That could be cool. I think there are interesting opportunities in Mega Units being support units with little to no offensive capability. Like big lumbering meat shields, or transports which load up on land and go underwater. Else it does become a tech race.

But as Brian said, this has been discussed a lot :) I reccomend you do a search for some interesting discussions @mrmatrixdlg particularly in the Backer's Forum.

EDIT: Old Backer's-only Discussion
    Last edited: June 15, 2014
    Pendaelose likes this.
  9. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Mega units might get introduced in a DLC pack, much like the Krogoth in TA was introduced.

So my advice? Wait and see if there are any announcements.
  10. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

Mega units are brought up frequently because they seem "cool" but with very little thought for the gameplay consequences of making them significant.

The problem is mega-units always have the same behavior and act exactly as they were created. You can't do much with them other than exactly what they are hard-coded to do. Generally, be large and have very high numbers for damage and HP. And they have very high cost, which equates to a very high amount of time spent waiting for them to build, which is boring.

Large numbers of smaller units can be split up, they can be produced individually, they can maneuver, and they can be destroyed and require reinforcements. And they build quickly, putting stuff into play and into battle sooner. That is much more interesting than having just one, or just a few very large units that just have big numbers, and which take an eternity of waiting for metal extractors to collect enough metal before they become useful.

Large armies of smaller units (the bigger the better) is vastly more interesting from a gameplay standpoint than single extremely large, powerful, and expensive units (where bigger is worse).
    PeggleFrank, liquius and brianpurkiss like this.
  11. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Thats an issue observed in the SupCom 1 implementation. However it's not a necessary characteristic of experimental units.

This only happens if the experimental unit is actually just an upscaled version of a regular unit - or a merge of several upscaled unit roles.

Examples? Take various experimentals in SupCom 2, like the Smash-And-Pull, the experimental bomb shield or the unit cannon.
    Experimental class if you consider HP, survivability, cost and position in tech tree, but they did not invalidate any other unit since there were no overlapping unit roles and they were not necessarily raced for either, since their use was very situational.
    Only experimentals which were raced were the ones which were designed as offensive single unit armies or economy/tech accelerators.
  12. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

CONFIRMED: its called the Vanguard.
  13. welshenzie

welshenzie Member

I've never been a fan of the super unit thing. Give me dynamic armies any day
  14. duncane

duncane Active Member

As I have said before... While I don't care about a mega unit or shields, I think it will hurt PA on release as a lot of people expect them. The treads keep appearing because of expectations.
  15. welshenzie

welshenzie Member

Although some people may want or even expect them, there is plenty more to replace that. In any case with multiple planets simply building a large single unit isn't as useful as it would be on a single flat terrain anyway. Even if they were to add some kind of unit like that in (which I hope they don't) I doubt it would be able to pass through teleporters.

Say not to Krogoth!
  16. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Lets just make the slammer huge and mean looking, without raising stats. Problem solved :D
  17. duncane

duncane Active Member

That's actually a good idea. The slammer should be bigger.
  18. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

THIS
    [​IMG]
    or......
    THIS
    [​IMG]
  19. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

That second picture is a normal tank size, and is fine.
  20. Kola2

Kola2 Member

NO, NO NO! PA IS NOT GOING TO START HAVING DLCS!