The first Vanguard affiliated with a Non-Realm clan.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by thetrophysystem, June 14, 2014.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Not that it matters. Just a point of interest I get from a lot of people whom I constantly have to clear up the seperation between Vanguard and Realm when they tie the two together.

But now, we have a member affiliated with Nova.

And that is me. I am affiliated with Nova now.

So, we sort of have a non-Realm Vanguard, for those who asked for one. It isn't a huge difference, it really is no difference at all, because clans don't tie affiliation with it. It is just a point of interest the community has for some awkward reason.
  2. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

Wait so how do u become a vanguard what does it even mean
  3. thetrophysystem

Well, you never needed "Realm" membership, if that is what you are asking.

That was made clear in the Vanguard Introduction. It was just coincidence we didn't have another clan affiliated member until now. Just like it is a coincidence that now we do, after starting some projects I have been working with Nova what I originally set up long ago to do as a Realm member with resources and such, I decided to switch to Nova. This is why I was affiliated with no clan up to a month prior to Vanguard formation, because these things tend to happen with clans, I don't really "get" clans at all tbh.
    Last edited: June 14, 2014
  4. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Some guys who showed an active interest in the game "in the beginning", and are vaguely meant to act as a bridge between community and dev. Kind of sort of maybe.
  5. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Isn't the Clan section that a way --> ? :D
    PeggleFrank and tatsujb like this.
  6. bengeocth

Okay so since I'm from December I guess im too late to be a vanguard huh
  7. thetrophysystem

Not entirely. I remember googlefrog I believe was from later, but I believe he is a Spring dev, so basically it is people with dedication and insight.

Now, not saying people like @brianpurkiss don't have dedication in sheer time, or a heavy workload put into this game's betterment. It is nice when, whether Vanguard or not, people take initiative to get something they care about done, especially in this game's development.
  8. bengeocth

It is a great game. I remember seeing stuff about it before it was even in development, but I wouldn't consider asking my dad to donate, he would never go through with it. I was playing a lot of TA and figured out how to play it with multiplayer despite cavedog being shut down.
  9. thetrophysystem

I was fortunate to be able to donate. Almost wasn't able to. I actually hadn't played a RTS extensively since C&C in the 98-2002 years, played a few a handful of times since but not dedicated. I came to PA from SMNC actually.

PS: You also don't need to be a kickstarter backer.
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well I was one of the people who thought that all the vanguards being in one clan wasn't the best idea. Firstly I don't think it was a conspiracy, I do however think that given the vanguards potentially have more regular / direct contact with Uber than your average member, the interests of the Realm players was (still is) over represented.

I also think that the vanguards represent a large slice of the most experienced / skilled players (not all I admit) so the Realm does tend to take *all* the top honors. The way the Realm formed it did feel that the deck was getting stacked somewhat. When you add on the fact that allot of tourneys are organized around "top 10 in ladder" it looks even worse. It feels like your either in the Realm or "out of the club". We need the good players distributed between the various clans, so I for one welcome you choosing to join Nova (they're a decent bunch).
    squishypon3 likes this.
  11. thetrophysystem

They are a decent bunch. But I joined them for projects, not gameplay. I play a lot of the game, but I don't play tournaments, the main reason actually being I am unavailable saturdays, but if I were, I would place mid of the pack.
    cdrkf likes this.
  12. thetbc

thetbc Member

Pretty sure I've seen you in The Realm...
  13. thetrophysystem

Read my first two posts here o_O

14. thetbc

thetbc Member

I meant when you said that you had to be a Realm member to be a vanguard. You met the criteria of being a Realm member initially then you stopped being a member.
  15. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

So... you're telling me that one individual can't be associated with multiple communities (clans) at the same time? I mean, you can't be a member of both Realm and Nova? Is this some sort of unwritten rule somewhere? :confused:
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Clans to me were always your group of friends playing together, just a bit more formal... You and your friends also do friendly competitions against other groups of friends. Now it's become a bit more than that, and has been for a loooong time.. Now this isn't just your friends, it's like a team, you have rival teams as well. Kind of like any sport really, you can't be on both teams at once.

'Tis the nature of people to like competition. :D
  17. Kola2

Kola2 Member

You can, but that's called neutral.
  18. thetrophysystem

so like I said above, I don't
    have a fascination with clans, others do. Its like they have become political action comittees for video games...
    this is why I missed the 90s. Less clan influence in games, less bandwagoning than we have today, less cell phones to have to keep up with. I haven't liked clans since the early 2000s when they slowly became popular for short term bouncing members back and forth in some sort of competitive goal to bounce the most/best members in. After being in many Runescape ones, I met great members, great people, but not so much great clans. I prefer no clan like I started PA with, but if I associate with one I might as well be in it, such as nova.
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Actually that would be being on neither side. You are on neither team, you support neither, you are against neither. (Implying there's only two for this example.)
  20. thetrophysystem

To be entirely honest, this came up for another member of the Realm before. What the deal was, is that they had another completely removed clan of personal friends they play TF2 with. What was decided, is that as long as the clan isn't a rival or a conflict of interest when actually in-game, then it wasn't a problem. Which it shouldn't be. If you have 2 clans that play 2 different games entirely, its fine.

To be entirely honest, I am in another clan. I am in a GTA5 clan with roommates. It is because that game boosts xp and such for jobs done with clanmates and such. It is a direct reward, for playing with people I do anyway. The Realm or Nova do not play GTA5, so it would be a tragedy not to be able to get a reward in 1 game for clans, just because of another game.