top 7 poll (Uber, come collect results)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, June 11, 2014.

1. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

OH WHAT THE **** DID I JUST DO?!
    AM I THE ONLY ONE SEEING THIS OR DID I SERIOUSLY JUST DELETE THE ENTIRE THING?
    Sorry if it's the latter :(
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Looks like it is all gone.
  3. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

b5c.jpg
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Not that this would have been useful any way.
    naphid likes this.
  5. naphid

naphid New Member

Not sure why he thought making it editable would help. Also it isn't a very useful poll.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  6. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Trouble with these is they're biased towards older options. Better asking for options, giving it a day or two and then creating an uneditable poll yourself.

Also as many things aren't mutually exclusive and some of these options will be in the game in any scenario, perhaps allowing multiple options to be selected could be useful?

The feel-face deletion made me chuckle xD
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

alright so I see everyone overnight was real mature, great.
    you know you could have just pressed 'back'. Just tried it it works.

so.....

I also like that people are taking this opportunity to just downright insult me. You're all really setting an example.

anyways I when ahead and changed things a little: so I've changed the poll. Now the correct poll is uneditable and the editable ADD POLL is the same thing as before. just add poll options there and i'll add them to the list.
    Last edited: June 12, 2014
  8. Devak

Devak Post Master General

i would just like to say 1 thing:

this is the internet. Anything that can happen, will happen and whatever you don't want happens first.
  9. boylobster

boylobster Active Member

Dude, I appreciate the intention behind your effort, but where in the original post did you give instructions for what, specifically, is to be contributed to the poll and what not? I'm not trying to dog you, and I don't think anyone is trying to insult you, but the criticism is accurate, I hate to tell you. There are lots of things that were unclear to me immediately upon viewing the thread:

Is this an official Vanguard function, or a personal effort of yours? I don't see options I would consider most critical, that is immediately discouraging. I can *add* those options, I gather, but they will be reviewed and deemed worthy or not by... you? Somebody? When? Do I just check back, hoping the list will be updated with options I consider relevant? How long do I wait before I decide my submission won't be added? The interface for adding options is hella' confusing to say the least; I still don't know if I actually submitted anything or not. Also, I thought the very mission of the Vanguard was to gauge, by its presence on the forums, the most fundamental interests and concerns of the community and regularly present them to Uber. Does this mean that effort has been abandoned? As a corollary, this poll actually concerns me, as a poll by nature is very reductive, decided by a few or even just one person, and may very well not represent the real interests of the player base. That this would be given to Uber as "the will of the community" seems inevitably inaccurate at best, and disingenuous at worst.

Please don't feel obligated to answer these questions; they're merely to demonstrate the difficulties I (and others, I'm sure) encountered on viewing the thread. In conjunction, all of these difficulties will, I think, result in a very tepid response to your effort. Actually, one question I would like answered is about function of the Vanguard: isn't this poll what you guys are supposed to do already, minus the poll?

Also, be nice to Brian, and anyone else that's giving criticism. It seems like you're very attached to this idea, and from the perspective of someone who just read the thread, it looks very much like that attachment caused you to lash out quite inappropriately at any response that wasn't positive. Not trying to ride you, man, but perhaps you could think a bit about how this idea could be executed in a way that's more inclusive and user-friendly.

PS - Galactic War: Much Crazier Upgrades - Vote now! :p
  10. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

You're assuming that we haven't already tried to bring up any/all of these requests before?

Just to clear up the " is this official or not? " question... Nothing the Vanguard does is " official "; we're just community members who want to help Uber understand what the community is thinking and talking about.

As a quick example, the T1 < T2 thing has been asked and answered before; Uber believe that a completely flat-balanced system is unintuitive and isn't what is expected by the average player. That is their stance at present and, try as I might to keep them informed of the prevailing opinion on the forums, the forums in no way account for the majority of players.

We are all the vocal minority.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  11. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

We are more than happy to communicate any desires expressed by the community to the developers. Were are also happy that we can talk around the issues, and give a fuller picture of what people are asking for than a line of text alone may communicate.

However I question the validity and utility of polls. They are almost universally useless for determining people's wishes about complex issues. Furthermore, they have terrible turnout. As of my writing this, 33 people have answered this poll. I would suggest that 33 people is not even close to being representative of "the will of the community". I'm sure a few more will join, but from a player-base of thousands, that's a number that is so small as to be meaningless.

I appreciate the effort, and if this produces a clear authoritative answer, then I'm happy to discuss ideas brought up here with the developers, but this really isn't the best way to go about doing things.
    PeggleFrank and lokiCML like this.
  12. thetbc

thetbc Member

Can I request the ability to vote for multiple things as just voting for one of them is quite limiting.
  13. tatsujb

obviously removed since then, it was where the big fat EDIT is now.
    voting for multiple things would not get any meaning out of the poll results, your voice is not worth 10 times more than someone else's.

if someone votes on only one thing and you vote on ten, you effectively added ten votes to the poll where he did one.

to have people vote constructively and have meaningful results this isn't an option.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  14. duncane

duncane Active Member

Now that pause is in, aside from the things uber have already said WONT be done (unit cannon, megabot, shields, multi unit transports, t1 transports) the only thing I am waiting for now is Ladders, lots of ladders.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  15. tatsujb

this is our time to shine as a community supporting it's developers, if you love PA and the devs then coming together as a community that "creates", that "does something" for the developer one that leaves feedback is how we can make the devs even prouder to have us.

this poll represents an unasked effort to please and to give the feedback, a short summary of the forum we all know that the devs can't possibly have the time to view in it's entirety to the devs with an effort to be as constructive an concise as possible.
    actually they originally said they were giving up on it but a later leak reveal during a livestream tells us that they finally managed to get it working.

btw I've added your new poll options
  16. tatsujb

I've taken the liberty changing the poll to one where you can't vote an unlimited number of times which Mr environmental power who I seem to remember is @eroticburrito has taken the liberty of abusing and is the only one thus far.
  17. eroticburrito

I'm currently on my mobile with intermittent internet connection and had to reload the page. I'm sorry my vote came in twice! Even writing this I'm waiting for service........................................
    You really should have tested your poll out though...
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  18. tatsujb

it's okay it's fixed now because the poll is per-ip and can only be filled in once.
  19. eroticburrito

Good.

Where can we see results now? :)
  20. tatsujb

i can post them, because of this new format you can no longer see them live.