Help, trying to see if I can get PA to run on my Daughters laptop

Discussion in 'Support!' started by elwyn, June 9, 2014.

1. elwyn

elwyn Member

I know this computer is on the way low end for the ram, but I am trying to see if i can even get PA to run on this laptop before I think about buying more ram for it.. So any and all help is much welcomed. So far i can get it into the game menu and game lobby, but when I try to enter a game it does not fully render planet and never loads. planet tried so far was a 200 size moon which i thought would be the least demanding on the computer. btw this is a dell latitude e6410 atg laptop with win 7 64bit only have 2 gigs or ram installed now can go up to 8 gigs, but would like to see it at least play before i pay for more ram. like i said before thanks for all and any help.

Attached Files:

2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

How... did you get in the game... Your drivers date to Feb and two or more years ago, and most people's dont run if drivers are older than november last year...

I am no Uber dev, and I don't think anyone can promise, but if you managed to actually get in the game somehow with that, then I suppose it should run with 4g ram or more.

But really, it says no gpu, no processor but then goes on in display to say I5, which is decent considering just 2g ram, and both sound and graphic drivers are 2012 or earlier.

If it is an i5 with 2g ram, if you got in game, then it should run with 4g ram, and really it should render larger planets the more ram it has, but as far as speed most people have no problem with low end computers if they can run the game at all.

And I say that, but really low end computers can go full speed, but the server only goes so fast and some games slow down on the server, and high end computers go slow because of server and usually those people question why but it isn't their fast machine, it is the test servers run so fast so it is a limit until release where you can run local.
  3. elwyn

elwyn Member

Okay, thanks, I will give that a shoot. is there anything else that you noticed that I can do?
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

@SXX might know. All I got is, update your drivers, and that it needs 4g ram. Depending on the ram you have and the motherboard you have, make sure to get the right ram that the computer takes.
  5. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

The graphics memory is pretty low too. You should be able to run it, but it will suffer if the game goes on for too long, especially with such little RAM
  6. elwyn

elwyn Member

Thanks to all,, i will first update the drivers, and report back. next move will be to get 8 gigs of ram in the machine. nothing i can do about the video card since it is a laptop with the card attached to the main board
  7. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

What I did today was use the STEAM IN-HOME STREAMING. It worked great!
    When you log into Steam on two computers on the same network, they automatically connect, allowing you to remotely install, launch, and play games as though you were sitting at the remote PC.
    http://store.steampowered.com/streaming/
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Additional RAM or drivers isn't going to work. Your DxDiag a bit messy, but it's still contain valid data:
    Code:
    Processor: n/a
    Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i5)
    Driver Version: 8.15.10.2993
    If installed driver is valid then this laptop have 1st generation of Intel CPU-integrated graphics which isn't support OpenGL 3.X and it's really weird that it's not crash on start up at all. E.g all other players with same iGPU usually just get startup crash and any next update might introduce it for you as well.

If you can post your CPU model then I can check this to be 100% sure.

DELL website contain some information that laptop have NVIDIA® NVS 3100M 512MB gDDR3 too, can you check laptop BIOS, might be there is way to toggle Nvidia discrete graphics because you have better chances to run PA on it.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  9. elwyn

elwyn Member

drivers are up to date as much as can be, probably going to have to build her a new rig. :(
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

So there is no Nvidia discrete GPU in this laptop?
  11. elwyn

elwyn Member

not that i could find.
  12. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

even with fully up to date stuff, it was a long shot.

You shouldn't have much trouble with something more modern.
  13. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

One thing to note, is your system is below our minimum spec. We require 4GB to run. This is particularly important on 32 bit systems or 64 bit systems with graphics that use shared memory.

The game will run below that, but it's technically not supported because we know it can be a problem in a number of different areas.
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

My laptop with Intel HD3000 have 4GB RAM and I don't have any issues with it. PA is totally playable on small planets.
  15. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Yes, and his system memory:
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 1974MB RAM

:)
    SXX likes this.
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Ooops... was quite away with testing Civ5 Linux port so misread your post. :oops: