Learn PA with Matiz

Discussion in 'Videos And Replays!' started by matizpl, February 19, 2014.

1. matizpl

matizpl Well-Known Member

Hello, I've decided to make series to promote competitive play in Planetary Annihilation. I'm trying to describe current metagame, strategies and playstyles in current builds. I try to spread knowledge of high level Planetary annihilation gameplay. I will also analyze current trends in tournaments and general ideas how to be a better gamer. I hope you'll enjoy it! :)

Here is my channel in which you can also watch my starcraft 2 polish commentary.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN-gWJw5QA75hlyhWVUM1sA?feature=watch

Link to 1st episode: Learn PA with Matiz #1 Matiz vs Gunshin

2nd episode is coming tommorrow, it will include my game vs clopse.
    This is link to my stream and I plan to stream with commentary as well:
    http://www.twitch.tv/matiz_
    Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/Mateusz.Matiz.Kowalski

Have fun :)!
    hahapants, drz1, blacksword13 and 3 others like this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'd love to feature them on the PA Matches Tutorials section!

Interested in talking about them with me? If you have specific plans for topics and stuff.
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Just as long as you dont feature people getting creamed by T2 Air. :D

Early raiding play/counterplay is something that would be interesting to try to cover though. I can barely teach myself :D
  4. matizpl

hahapants and elitedanzel like this.
  5. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

That was excellent, really enjoyed the way you broke down the game. I was watching those pink hordes thinking they looked unstoppable, but your commentary was explaining why that strategy was already doomed.

A couple of things:

1. You mention you think that economy expansion is superior to land aggression, but how big a factor was the terrain in this? On that map you had an easily defendable, narrow front, and the flanks were protected by chasms. On a more open map, say a moon, would that still hold true?

2. If you could move the camera a bit less, or slower, once the game has finished, that would help. You'd make a point and already be on the way to the next camera location, but I needed time to digest the point and the layout.
  6. matizpl

Thanks! :)
    1. I meant initial 4-5 minutes in the game. You might decide to make 10-20 doxes early on to cripple opponent's expansion. This is the rush that might deal a lot of damage but only if you find your opponent quickly and it's very random because you might not find him. So it's safer to just go heavy eco early on. Obviously it was pre-patch but it still can apply.
    2. Ok I'll try to keep it in mind, thanks for feedback.
    New episode should come on saturday!
    Quitch likes this.
  7. Quitch

You're overdue! ;)
    mishtakashi and drz1 like this.
  8. matizpl

It took me quite a while, but its back!
    Quitch likes this.
  9. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

If you have a factory that will only ever make fabbers, it is better to go vehicle than bot. The vehicle and bot fabbers have the same stats, but the vehicle factory has a faster build rate and is slightly more efficient on energy.
  10. Quitch

You should get the Unit Database mod, it pulls stats straight from the game files so you can get the latest information about speed, etc.

When you use the PIP to show the enemy base it would be helpful if you zoom the view in so the globe fills the PIP.

Better contrasting colours i.e. not blue and purple, would be useful :)

Really great update though, loved the way you kept the camera in place while using the mouse to indicate things, and pausing the video to expand on particular points. Are you linking to these on Steam as well? If not you should so it appears in the PA community hub and gets a wider audience.

Shame the game crashed :(
  11. matizpl

Thanks for feedback, No i dont use steam, would it benefit me? Can you describe how to do it?
  12. Quitch

I find it hard to envision being a PC gamer and not using Steam. I like having my entire gaming library easily accessible and automatically patched, and I dislike launchers because I don't want to patch when I want to play, the game should be patching when I'm not playing. It also means you don't need to sign in to your Uber account when you start, you're signed into Steam and your Steam account is linked to your Uber account, so off you go!

I also like joining the official game group for every game I own, since I get all my gaming update news in one feed. Every patch note, every upcoming feature that developer wants to show off, etc.

Each game in Steam has a community where various content is shown, videos, screenshots, highlights from the forum, etc. Linking your YouTube video to your Steam account and tagging it with PA will get it in that community which in turn can drive more traffic to the video.

You don't need to link PA to Steam to be able to do this.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250

Here's one I did earlier.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=234138887
  13. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I prefer steam for some games, and not for other ones.

For buggy games like Planetside, or PA, I like it to be manual, so if I have to go in and fix something, I can do it without the Steam crap getting in the way.

But for space engineers? Steam. BL2? I play with friends alot so definitely Steam :D
  14. Quitch

I am sad that drops are becoming powerful. I mean, it's awesome, drops are great to watch, but man oh man do I suck at them. This is going to be a painful tournament season :)
  15. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Already found a great counter. :p
  16. Quitch

Please ensure it's stomped out of the meta quickly so I can once again assume my rightly place in the middle of the pack :)

I did Vanguard drop someone yesterday. It was a pointless drop, but it felt awesome :D
  17. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Tell us!
  18. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Reclaim them with combat fabs.
    shootall and cptconundrum like this.
  19. Quitch

matizpl and mishtakashi like this.
  20. boylobster

boylobster Active Member

LOL, "I'm gonna' roll another blunt, I'll be right back. Enjoy the game for a moment." That, my friends, is a baller. :eek:

Last edited: June 10, 2014
    matizpl likes this.