Mass Teleporter

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Geers, June 9, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Here's my amazing idea for transporting large units (or large amounts) quickly:

1. The structure takes up a certain amount of space and is a ring of Tesla coils or something awesome:

[​IMG]

2. When activated there's a badass effect/animation and everything within the operating radius (including air units, buildings and ships if built on water. Metal extractors or destroyed because odds are there won't be a metal spot in the exact same place on the other end) gets dumped on the receiving end:

[​IMG]

3. Boom, one-use only build another to do it again.

Good?
    Bad?
    Crazy?
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Now that's an interesting idea...

Would be one heck of a way to establish a beachhead.

However, there would need to be some sort of balancing mechanism that prevents me from building 50 laser defense towers and pelters and making them appear right in the middle of an enemy base. Not sure how that balance mechanic would work.
  4. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

Would you need to build a second one on the enemy planet and "link" them to prompt the transfer?

If not, imagine multiple proxy bases popping up on top of you without warning complete with artillery, static defenses, walls, and a unit teleporter. There needs to be a counter of some sort.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

would it crash and have to charge up again if you tried to do it someplace but actually there was already enemy structures there you didn't know about?

what would happen then?
    Last edited: June 9, 2014
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  6. WarriorServent

WarriorServent Member

I think that it would work like teleporters do, and I agree that if not balenced correctly it could break the game, for example, I could teleport in a few Halleys, or maybe a nuke or four. To balance it correctly I think that it would have to be as expensive as a Halley, and only work on low-tech units and low-tech structures
  7. valheria

valheria Active Member

You can do that now with mass orbital transports dropping 200 t2 tank fabs on someone's doorstep.. Sure you would kill like 100 very quickly but it only takes 100 to spread out and spam countless turrets ect. That's assuming you run out of ideas in the first place which is unlikely
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  8. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

I imagine this could work if you were to 'paint' the arrival location with a marker.

Step one: Build base/units.
    Step two: Build teleporter around it.
    Step three: Build the arrival marker, low cost, low health, but checks if there are buildings in the way, and is built in a second.
    Step four: As soon as the marker is done, the teleporter activates automatically. (meaning you can only build one teleporter at a time)
    carlorizzante likes this.
  9. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

The marker would need a charge delay of some sort. The enemy needs to have an opportunity to kill it and cancel the transfer.
  10. brianpurkiss

Except you can shoot down the Astraeus with Avengers, Anchors, Umbrellas, Missile Defense Towers, Flak, and fighters. You can't do that with this teleporter.

Making something really expensive isn't an overly effective balance mechanic in PA. Especially when it gets to the late game orbital stage, the economy from an entire planet is massive. It would be incredibly easy to stop all production, focus everything on this teleporter, and boom, it could be built in seconds.

Don't get me wrong, this sounds like a fun building. It'll just be extremely tricky to balance and I don't have any ideas how to.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  11. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

'low cost, low health', plus you need a builder to put the damn marker down. Squishy enough in my book.

A teleporter like this won't be cheap, nor will the units and base you intend to teleport with it. Every second you spend building it, your enemy is fortifying.

Also bear in mind if you can only do one of these at a time, you can't follow it up with more reinforcements until you get a regular gate down. And your enemy will be throwing everyhting they've got at you the second this lands.
  12. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

The reverse is also true, with your opponent being able to spam nukes non stop, (or something else that's high cost). So given the choice between watching a nuke battle, or watching daring all in teleport assault. Well, I'd no brain the latter.
  13. brianpurkiss

Daring it all? This teleporter is far from daring it all. You only move what units and buildings you want to move, and I imagine it doesn't move much. That's far from daring it all.

Most orbital battles aren't even a nuke fest. It's mostly SXX satellites and anchors, with some teleporters thrown in there. I wish people would do Astraeus invasions more. Those are awesome.

Point being, the issues with orbital aren't nukes. And this teleporter, while a nifty idea, isn't the best way to fix orbital problems. It can help, but there are other things that will better fix and balance the issues with Orbital.
  14. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Perhaps the buildings/units can only be teleported if there is enough space, such as no mountains, ravines, lakes, buildings, or units, so that way, unless somebody has a massive gap in the middle of their base, all of the units being teleported would blow up upon landing (Not the right word?) That would be a decent start to balancing it, I feel. (obviously :p)
  15. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

oh look another transportSTRUCTURE ....
    and even one use only? yupp bad ...
  16. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

17. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

18. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Ok how about the landing zone needs to be empty or severely devoid of structures to prevent "quantum destabilization and phase deshift"?
  19. Joefesok

Joefesok Member

How about it requires a very cheap "beacon." However, instead of instant teleporting, it has to "build" the units it's transporting. For example, I sent 500 doxen to TP a, which is transported to TP b, who reconstructs them at some multiple of the speed of whatever tier fabber it belongs to. It ensures that a base rush cannot be done and that it isn't free to send herds of doxen and such to somebody's front door. Also, it should probably either build all of them at once, or build them one at a time. I prefer the former.
  20. valheria

valheria Active Member

Which is why you gain full orbital control followed by a orbital beach head before you do it. It's been done successfully many times to assistante commanders so bringing this mass teleporter is only going to make the problem worse. So dismissing the issues is not going to help since everyone is so fixated with balance at the moment.