Unit Teleporter

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by icefire909, June 8, 2014.

1. icefire909

icefire909 Member

So the unit teleporter is great for invading planets. But you can't send aircraft or ships Philadelphia Experiment style.

Is there a balance reason for this or something else preventing it? (Aside from the fact you can't actually build the teleporter in water.
  2. waterlimon

waterlimon Member

It helps differentiate between different types of units which adds strategic depth.

Ground units can easily move between planets using teles.
    Air units are difficult to move but its still possible (using astreus).
    Ships are useless when it comes to expanding to other planets (or the other side of the same planet -.-).

Air would be a bit OP if it could go through teles because they are so mobile that it would be a bit difficult to defend against them. With ground units it takes a while for them to advance so you have time to set up defences or send in defensive units.

This doesnt apply to ships though. Im guessing ships are too useless to allow them to teleport (there isnt even water on most planets) xP
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  3. zurginator

zurginator Member

I do think we should see a Naval teleporter, though probably quite a bit more expensive.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

5. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Mavor has said, in a live stream, I do believe, that he is considering having a separate teleporter for naval units, which would be neat, however, this has not at all been confirmed, nor is it actively being worked on. As far as I know, they just haven't found a way to sent planes through that makes sense, and not to mention it could make balancing harder.
  6. Zenotheory

Zenotheory Member

I was thinking of an upgrade type thing like the Metal Extractor have a T1 and T2 Teleporter, but the T2 Teleporter allows Aircraft and maybe Orbital?
  7. zurginator

zurginator Member

I got an idea for this - think of the teleporter like a double-sided well. Planes would fly "down" into it on one planet, and "up" out of it on the other.

I'd Photoshop something but I'm computerless for another 2 weeks.
    riddick3 and PeggleFrank like this.
  8. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Naval units could also be dropped directly from orbit into the water. What's the worst that could happen?
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  9. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Active Member

Better yet, give leviathans wings. They're close enough to Boeings, anyway.

It also needs a Redbull sticker on the side.
  10. LeatherNeck2382

LeatherNeck2382 Member

I'd not mind some sort of orbital carrier though for air units. By that I mean more efficient than the astreus, like something that could carry a handful (or dozen). Especially once you have a planet locked down, it'd be nice to not have all those gunships milling about.
  11. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

This already exists in many types of media. The most solid answer is a "drop pod" type of transport. The one way trip doesn't step on the Astreus' toes, and it provides a critical offensive slant which is 100% essential for attacking an enemy world.
  12. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

If it was up to me I would make teleportation different in some way.

Land has star gate that we know.
    Ships has a ring that sends hand full in a burst.
    Air would not give them an teleportation device more like an orbital aircraft carrier.
    nuketf likes this.
  13. Geers

Geers Post Master General

We need this.

Someone should at least make a mod so we can see how balanced it really is.