Orbital layer for the sun

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by PeggleFrank, June 4, 2014.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

maybe I'm wrong
  2. Devak

Devak Post Master General

or maybe i'm wrong.

:confused:
  3. nehekaras

nehekaras Member

I just tried it out. You can send solar panles to other planets. :)
    PeggleFrank, Devak and tatsujb like this.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

You can't in PTE : realm community balance :)
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  5. Devak

Devak Post Master General

thanks for the clarification! have a like :D
  6. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

Thermal plating resisting millions of centigrade and electronics just resisting the radiation?
    Fine, let's just not do that.
    Also, why would someone invest metal into automatically dying units?
    From a gameplay view, I think this is just stupid.
    Just as all the radiation and heat, if you're orbiting the sun, it's not hot. Not hot at all. And I guess it would require more micro management.
  7. keterei

keterei Active Member

Anything that comes close to the sun's outermost atmosphere will be incinerated. What don't you get about that? Putting solar panels directly into this atmosphere would not make them more effective. The solar panels would be damaged (not accounting for heat) by extreme levels of gamma radiation, infrared light, and ultraviolet light.
  8. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

That makes neither of those guys wrong, yet both of them are still wrong in some way at the same time. *mind = blown*
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  9. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Active Member

Planets can already scrape the surface of the sun, with no sustained damage to orbiting units.

If this game was hyper-realistic, they would have made it so within the physics.

I suppose you're right, but solar panels can produce energy even while on the dark side of the planet.

If that was removed, the sun would serve a purpose for energy generation. Solar panels already adjust to face outward, so they wouldn't end up facing away from the sun.
  10. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

The Orbital ideas are promising.
    The Naval ideas are fantastical.

The surface area of the orbital sphere around the Sun would be enormous however. Orbital movement speeds would need to be faster.
    Last edited: June 5, 2014
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  11. keterei

keterei Active Member

I'm speaking of solar panels within a context where they would be using the sun to generate energy. This is within the game. Now, let me rephrase what I said. Leaving the game and entering reality, if you move solar panels closer to the sun, it does not necessarily make them more effective as some people here have suggested, because gamma radiation, IR light, and UV light at extreme levels will damage the delicate materials solar panels use, along with the immense heat which is measured in the millions of Kelvins that radiates within the sun's orbit.
    PeggleFrank likes this.