Perimeters

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zackmar, June 3, 2014.

1. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Just select structure and mark it to create some fixed perimeter circle around. This is easiest way to code that and quite flexible. you want more perimeter you build tower somewhere and mark it as perimeter creating structure. No need for drawing lines on planet surface
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Guess that works. I'd never use it though...
  3. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

Neither would I, because that way it'd totally suck.

Don't uber want to bring drawing lines at some point anyway? Zero-K has it, and it's pretty useful. So... we'd then have that anyway.
  4. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

I was thinking that the perimeter's of 2 different players should not overlap but instead create a type of dynamic border like a country's borders marked on a map.
  5. Regabond

Regabond Member

Country's borders on maps tend to look that way when all parties are in agreeance of the borders. Many would rarely agree with their enemies that the borderlands belong to them.

Marking buildings as perimeter points, although easy, would not give the best results. Say I'm attempting to establish an orbital foothold on a world and would like to know if enemy orbitals get too close. If I'm unable to keep a structure up, then I won't have a way to set a perimeter warning.

Drawing lines have been mentioned before as a likely future feature. This would also be the most useful way to add perimeters. Instead of drawing the "team" lines which are meant for sharing information, you'd select the Perimeter Warning line and draw that where you saw fit. There would also need to be either an eraser or a way to select and delete these lines.
  6. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

I was using the borders on a map as an example of how the perimeter's of 2 players wouldn't overlap
  7. ahrimofnor

ahrimofnor Member

Why not take advantage of something like the way SupCom or the way current unit attack radius's can be shown in PA by holding down CNTRL. Give every building a "detection radius" which exists much like an attack radius but instead of having the building able to shoot stuff to deal dps, give it the ability to sound an alarm or something. You could even have the "detection radius" of a building simply be its vision radius. Buildings next to eachother would find their "detection radius" stacking and only the outermost portions of the conglomerate of buildings "detection radius" would be utilized. Thus, as you expand your base, your detection radius naturally expands along with it as long as you are allowing your buildings to get a larger area of vision / whatnot
  8. TheLambaster

If you had read the thread you would know we have already settled that vision or even radar vision make no sense as the perimeter delimiter.
  9. ahrimofnor

ahrimofnor Member

sorry if I sound a bit off here but could you quote the post you're referring to?

I just went through the whole thread and found no conclusive decision as to why vision couldn't be the vision deliminator? ultimately, my idea is that you would have a separate radius from both vision and radar, call it "Proximity Alert" (PrAl). By default, the PrAl would be set to the same radius as the vision radius because in my mind that is what most players view to be the very outward expanse of their perimeter i.e. the range from there stuff at which point they really, really start to care about understanding what bad stuff is coming at them so they can quickly throw some units at said problem and deal with it.

However, since this radius is separate from both vision and radar, why not include it as a radius slider in the settings? I cant see the PrAl effective radius going beyond vision radius as being that balanced, but it is not for me to decide. You, on the other hand, might want a smaller PrAl and you adjust it accordingly.

However, if you are still so against the idea of a PrAl that you aren't willing to make some concessions to include it for the larger community in the game then why don't we start brainstorming some ideas for how the current system of alerts could be improved / streamlined / more alert-y to the player so a whole 'nother system (like the proximity alarm) is not needed?
  10. TheLambaster

Are you still referring to me there? That'd be pretty funny since I argue since about 6 posts for the perimeter idea...

Also, having the vision as a delimiter serves zero purpose, same goes for radar coverage as the delimeter, as I and Ragabond have already explained in detail:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/perimeters.60452/page-2#post-939693
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/perimeters.60452/page-2#post-939704
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/perimeters.60452/page-2#post-939705

I also pointed out several times already that it'd NOT be imbalanced, as you suggested. Only if you implemented it in a utterly brainless way it would - namely if it caused alarms for units which you don't have radar vision or normal vision on.
  11. ahrimofnor

ahrimofnor Member

Mmmkay I see what youre getting at. Instead of getting all up in arms about this, why not just mod in a new alert that lets the player know when new units have entered / left radar range (the analogue for this in visual ranges and shorter are, as you said earlier, already implemented)? Making a perimeter alarm extend beyond radar range is pointless because you will never get any extra information out of spreading your perimeter that wide if balance is done properly.