Lore compliant retreat option for GW?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Pendaelose, June 4, 2014.

1. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

To gracefully exit a Galactic War battle without abandoning the whole war would be a great option. Most of us have had at least one battle that was near impossible to win... such as an interplanetary assault when you have no orbital tech and not super weapons, or battling an Advanced naval AI when you only have tanks.

Rather than being forced to fight to the death or abandoning the war (or quitting PA without saving) what if we could build an evac method that fits within the lore. It's never made clear exactly how our commanders travel between stars... if it's an interstellar rocket traveling at relativistic speeds or a one way teleporter...

What ever it is we should have the option to build it to retreat gracefully.
  2. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

Retreat is failure to the Progenitor.

He that fails the Progenitor is already dead.
  3. Pendaelose

Fair enough I guess... still makes for weak sauce in the gameplay department though. Nothing quite sucks as hard as "I wish I had a way to attack that moon."
  4. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

One would imagine, that if the almighty faction's powerful army leader fails on a mission, and dies, the leaders would just send out another army leader.
  5. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

You could just rush on building Austreus' and then drop a fabber there before the enemy can take control. That's how I do it.

It's about efficiency.
  6. Pendaelose

First playthrough included lessons like that. It can still be very tough when there are 4-6 moons though.

After many hours of suiciding astraeus waves of stinger bots I was able to make a beach head and finish the battle. I unlocked the Orbital commander and my interplanetary problems were solved forever, but it was a horrible experience for everything in between.
  7. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

I would be okay with the ability to teleport out of the system with a countdown like 30 second or more.
  8. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I always assumed the commander would have some sort of a ship, which, when the game's close to done and they're polishing all the cosmetic non-gameplay stuff would be added, just as a sort of mechanism that drops the commander at the start and picks it up upon retreat.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  9. Pendaelose

That's similar to what I imagined. Upon clicking the retreat button your interstellar transport spawns at the edge of the system, does the same orbital dance as any other interplanetary unit, picks up your commander and proceeds to leave the system the same way. If you make it out of the system alive you have successfully retreated.
    PeggleFrank and popededi like this.
  10. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Yup, pretty much. Vulnerable to anti-orbital weaponry and AA when in the air layer. Just so you can't just pull your commander out when it's surrounded by enemy armies with little health.
    Last edited: June 4, 2014
    Pendaelose likes this.