Perimeters

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zackmar, June 3, 2014.

1. zackmar

zackmar New Member

So,I was playing one day,and noticed that when enemies get through your defenses,theres no warning-thats when I came with a perimeter idea.You would draw a "shape"/line on the ground (like your base) that when an enemy unit gets in it (or passes above the line) a warning is sounded,just like the "need more energy" the announcer says,it could say "perimeter breached".Tell me what you think of this idea.
    bradaz85, Zblub, Taxman66 and 8 others like this.
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

It sounds good, but instead of needing to draw, why not have a voice saying "defensive system destroyed" when some of your defenses go down?
  3. zackmar

zackmar New Member

What about when you dont have a defense?
  4. Regabond

Regabond Member

This sounds like a really good idea to help track multiple bases on multiple worlds.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  5. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

This idea is so blatantly, obviously good, that the only thing I don't understand is how are you the first person to ever bring this up.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Nifty idea. Would certainly help keep track of multiple planets.

I'm not so sure about drawing it though... My base is constantly expanding and fluctuating, I'd hate to have to be constantly re-drawing these lines. I wonder if there's a way it could be automated.

Say, if any enemies came within 200 or 300 meters of one of my structures I get a notification?

And there'd need to be some sort of threat assessment thing otherwise it would be useless. I could build a single factory and have Fireflies built infinitely around it with an area patrol of the entire planet. Those suckers would be constantly flying in and out of your territory making the notifications go bezerk. That'd do more harm than good.

At any rate. I like the idea.
  7. emraldis

Well, then you don't have a perimeter, do you? :p
    websterx01 and PeggleFrank like this.
  8. jonasmod

jonasmod Active Member

Great idea! Can't an approximate location of your base be calculated by the server? I mean if there is like 20+ buildings (not walls etc..) pretty close to each other, that is probably a place you care about. Probably a base. If enemies start shooting within some range of this place you are probably under attack and get a notification.
  9. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

Your perimeter can be established by presence of mobile troops... so...

Maybe you could have different types of perimeters you could define for different threat levels. Say the game checks how big the DPS in sum of the force breaching the perimeter is and only alerts you if that number is above a certain DPS threshold you defined.

Also, this thing would be more important for forward bases, as most of the time you are monitoring your main base anyway.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  10. emraldis

But if you set it with troops, you already get a warning when they die.

And if a forward base is getting attacked, you also get warnings.
  11. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Active Member

It's often too late to defend yourself if your enemy has already starting killing off your units.
  12. emraldis

So a perimeter breached warning would be even later, because that happens after they've killed your units, not while they are under fire.
  13. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Active Member

Why would you put units outside a perimeter?

The perimeter is there to warn you of incoming enemy forces, so that you can rally your troops to a defensive position. If the enemy is already firing on you, then they can probably waltz in your base and destroy your economy before you can get your troops there to defend.
  14. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

I really like the OP suggestion to just let us define perimeters. What if I want to know as soon an enemy is detected on a certain hemisphere? Or on a specific moon?

Alerts like "Enemy Approaching" tied to enemies getting near buildings/defenses/units are cool and can be automated, but that doesn't replace the idea of quickly placing out my own alerts using area commands.
  15. emraldis

A perimeter is made up of units or defensive structures, (if it isn't, then it's not much of a perimeter, is it?) so you are going to get alerts for them being attacked or dying. I'm saying you wouldn't need a perimeter drawing tool, because a perimeter is made up of/defended by units or structures anyway. After that, a perimeter breached alert isn't very effective, since it is more effective to alert you when the perimeter is under attack, which already happens.
  16. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

Remember the range circle on all units? make one like that of buildings. they link up and that is your perimeter allowing holes in it. if a certain amount of units are within a certain range of each other, they should get their own perimeter that can move and link up with others. problem solved and another great feature. of course, it shouldent alert you unless a commander or a certain amount of units cross it.
  17. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

OOOOoooo I like!
  18. emraldis

Well, at that point you'd get an "enemy detected" notification well in advance, and the "perimeter breached" notification becomes a bit redundant...
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  19. optica1x

optica1x Member

Could see this being a bit annoying in some respects, and bad if implemented wrongly. The idea is good, since when your trying to multi-task planets it can be a choir.
    I say bad cus it could be spammy if attacked on multiple fronts. And could be abused if your able to place loads of them over the top in area's, like if you was playing a 1vrs1 the element of surprise would not be there. I guess limitations of some sort would be needed.
    Though if you think about it, we kinda already have a early warning system in place. ( radar ) :)
  20. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

This obviously is a interpretation of "perimeter" that is no good in this context. Obviously the idea is a perimeter that extends further than your unit presence (but stays within radar coverage)!
    PeggleFrank likes this.