TCP KeepAlive and the One Game Then Require Restart bug.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by thetrophysystem, May 29, 2014.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I am trying to correspond with @SXX , I have had this bug for 3 weeks, a lot of people bring this bug up, but while a lot of people have it a lot of people don't and if there is nobody to examine this bug on their own machine it may never get resolved. Since I have this bug, and not many others I know do, including possibly anyone on Uber, I decided to ask SXX how I would go about examining this bug.

He directed me to a network traffic examining program, Wireshark. I installed it, he explained how to filter to see only 2 kinds of traffic, server traffic, and Uberent.com traffic. I thank him for helping me with all this.

I get the bug where, if I idle logged in at the PA main menu, or if I start one game and finish and try to start another game GW or AI or Multiplayer or attempt to see server list, I can't and must restart PA in order to connect to another game. This gives me 1 game per PA startup, if I go straight to a match when logging into PA at the main menu, and no game at all if I don't go to a match and just sit in PA main menu.

I don't even get server list if I am in a state I cannot join a game, such as after the first game I join when I launch. I figured they were related.

It seems quite a lot of people have a similar or same problem. Of various magnitudes.

WELLL

I have examined that uberent.com filter, and when I am idle, i occasionally get a "keepalive" packet. I figure this keeps the ticket open when you log in, basically keeping you logged in on their side as long as you are connected, and if you disconnect or turn off you will eventually become inactive on their end, and basically not respond and be disconnected when they recieve no return.

I wonder if this has anything to do with this bug? It seems to not allow a game after having played another game. Does the ubernet.com servers stop checking for a keepalive or stop retaining connection in-game so you time-out your ticket after so long during a game, so when the game is done your not connected and must restart PA to reconnect and open back up the ticket?

I am just trying to wrap my mind around possibilities here.
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
    warrenkc likes this.
  2. thetrophysystem

Here is the my network traffic, after finishing a game, and trying to connect to the next, between two galactic war matches. This is typical of any 2 games I try, whether they 2 AI matches created from multiplayer tab, or 2 multiplayer matches, or 2 sandbox matches...

The top shows the last packets I communicated from the server I played on. The very last one shows application data as a details, and it is from ubernet.com, and the ones after that are retransmissions which means no communication back from server afterwards. This is the actual error occuring, I wonder if this much helps anyone trying to fix this bug. Anything else I can do, let me know.

And the second image shows a long list of the same error, retransmitting packets to uberent.com and recieving nothing I believe. That is captured from an attempt immediately after the GW, where I left GW, went to main menu, then clicked multiplayer. Basically, after galactic war, I went to the server list for multiplayer, and no games showed up on server list but I got those errors in network traffic. If I had kept server list open for a minute or so, I would have gotten an error that I cannot retrieve server list.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  3. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Yeah I get this a lot. It seems that exiting a game will not properly remove you from the previous game and so can't do anything until prompted to rejoin or abandon the game. I haven't tested the PTE nor the ai but it sure is annoying.
    FSN1977 likes this.
  4. thetrophysystem

I never get a rejoin message. It rarely helps to try to close a game manually.

I am not so certain that is the reason, or that there is two seperate bugs going around. I am trying to figure it out within a reasonable doubt.
  5. Pinworm

Pinworm Active Member

I'm here to offer any help/testing.. I have this bug as well. My explanation of it:

First game works fine, if I play a game multiplayer (this has been since I got the game a couple months ago), after that game I will have to close the game or it will never load just failed to connect or authenticate server. Doesn't matter if I start with steam or the launcher.

Happens in galaxy war as well, though the menu trick sometimes works.

It also seems to happen if I try to join a lobby and fail - if I join a game and get failed to connect, sometimes (usually I think) I will have to quit the game and restart it.

It does NOT happen if I join a lobby and then leave it. I can join, create, and leave as many lobbies as I want, as long as I don't fail to connect to one, or actually play a round.

Windows 7, 64 bit
    I5 3570k @3.5ghz
    Nvidia 570 2gb
    120gb SSD
    8GB of ram
  6. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

Same here, what can I do to help?
  7. thetrophysystem

I am trying a more advanced trick right now. Since I haven't done it or fully discussed it with my correspondence, I haven't ironed it out enough to explain for you to do.

However, if you are as interested as I am, here was what I did to produce this thread so far:
    1) Download Wireshark.
    2) Install all components, including wincpop or whatever.
    3) Restart computer because that wincpop or whatever is a system service or something that needs to run on startup.
    4) Open Wireshark. There are a lot of other stuff in the folder but Wireshark is the name of the file to open.
    5) Choose to open Live List, and choose your in-use network connection.
    6) At the top is the word "Filter" and a blank field next to it. Copy and Paste into the field, between the quotes, not including the quotes: "ip.src==54.241.3.188 or ip.dst==54.241.3.188 or tcp.dstport >= 9000 and tcp.dstport <= 9050"
    7) Launch the game now, preferably from "PA.exe"

What happens to me, is when the game launches, you have to log in with your username and password. You get no traffic up to that point. When you login, you recieve about 8 packets from Ubernet.com IP, it is that one IP and is always the same. If you go to multiplayer, you get constant traffic to Ubernet.com IP as your server list is open as it always refreshes. If you go Galactic War, you will not get much Ubernet.com IP traffic but will occasionally get a "TCPKeepAlive" packet, just 1-2 every minute. Well, when you actually join a match in GW or in multiplayer, it will send 1-2 packets to Uberent.com IP, and then from there on will have constant traffic from a new random Amazon server which hosts the game for the duration of the game. You play the game with that traffic, and when game is finished and you leave it you get a transmission end.

What happens at this point to me, is that I don't get any more traffic. When I attempt to join the next match without having restarted PA is that I send a single packet labeled appdata to Uberent.com IP, and I "retransmit" every second and never recieve anything, and eventually I timeout and fail to join server, theoretically I should be recieving something when that packet goes out in return.

If others want to try the process above, they are more than welcome to, and to share what happens with them. Both users that have this bug and can't connect to second match, and users that CAN connect to second match and work normally, so we can see in comparison what is SUPPOSED to happen.

I myself am trying another more accurate thing, but I am ironing out what I am doing and seeing if it works.
    lokiCML likes this.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

So I finally managed to make it log the error that the webservice call throws:

{"Message":"SSL read: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0), errno 10054"}

The default behavior is not to log anything and just go back to the main menu. I removed that "go back to main menu" and made it just retry again and again. After 5 errors ( which relates to 5 tries in 5 seconds) it now works again for me.

So an easy fix for Uber would be to remove the "go to main menu" behavior and just let it retry a few times. It fixes itself after a few seconds.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  9. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Shall there be a mod for that?
  10. cola_colin

You can make it if you want. Or just modify your server browser js file. Delete the stuff that moves into main menu on errors.
  11. thetrophysystem

.fail(function (data) {
    engine.call('disable_lan_lookout');
    model.transitPrimaryMessage('FAILED TO JOIN GAME');
    model.transitSecondaryMessage('Returning to Main Menu');
    model.transitDestination('coui://ui/main/game/start/start.html');
    model.transitDelay(5000);
    window.location.href = 'coui://ui/main/game/transit/transit.html';
    return; /* window.location.href will not stop execution. */
    });

In Server Browser.js?

Or... if not can you explain exactly what line of what folder to delete?
  12. cola_colin

Yeah get rid of that. Especially the window.location.href = ...
  13. thetrophysystem

This did not help me :( Was I supposed to try to get in a match 5 times or...

Also, what are the odds these are similar yet different bugs?
  14. cola_colin

If you correctly remove that code you should not end up in the main menu anymore for sure.
  15. thetrophysystem

Ohhh... Actually, I tested it for GW. Where I entered a game, then started a match, finished it, and tried entering the next match. How would this work then? Because when I try to join my second match, it just fails to connect, and I end up in the server list or GW prior.
  16. cola_colin

no idea about gw
  17. thetrophysystem

May I ask how you took your capture of the error, so I can try to reproduce it?
  18. cola_colin

I added a console.log(data) to that fail handler
  19. thetrophysystem

Lol that sounds... easy.
  20. UberGaf

UberGaf Uber Alumni

When you get in this state, does the Armory stop showing your correct inventory?