Planet generation bug or developer fancy?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by k4trix, June 2, 2014.

1. k4trix

k4trix Member

Not the first time I see planet with a line of forest in the middle, funny :)

Capture.JPG
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

yeah, happens by chance, can't say it isn't as cool as hell.
  3. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I don't know why but I immediately assumed a Poke Ball.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Would love some more swerlyness in how the ice forms a border with the other biomes.

And possibly a winter variant of most of the biomes, so we can have a snow forest, a snow mountain and a snow desert.
    thetrophysystem and ace63 like this.
  5. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

That looks perfectly normal? If you adjust the temperature the size of the icy poles changes.
  6. acey195

acey195 Member

It is a somewhat correct visualization of climate, though the borders of the climate types have too much contrast at the moment, some intermediate Climates, (like igncom1 suggested) or better Biome blending could look nicer)

On earth the climates are determined by a couple of things, note that this is a simplified list, and PA possibly already uses some of them, like distance to water:

-Angle and distance to the sun (how much sun per year)
    -Distance to water
    -Temperature of the water, dependent on angle to the sun and the thermohaline circulation (warm gulf stream for example)
    -Mountain ranges, which can direct rainfall, clouds have hard time moving over mountains.
    -Wind direction, which also directs rainfall, is determined by the temperature and the rotation of the planet.

Shameless self promotion :p :
    http://www.twandegraaf.nl/Art/Documents/Procedural planets into detail, Twan de Graaf 2012.pdf
    page 8-12