Galactic war AI to easy

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by banaman, May 27, 2014.

1. banaman

banaman Member

ok ok, we've seen these threads all a dime a dozen... but the reason why I wanted to point this out was actually something very very specific.

you really need to have the AI build it's factory no later then after 2 metal extracters and a power plant. a lot of the games, I managed to build 2 metal extractors, a power plant, a factory, built a scout and 5 infernos, found the enemy, got to him, and as I was getting to him, THEN he finally started building a factory. instead he would have upwards of 10 or so metal extractors and a handful of power plants with no factory at all.

now, I'm sure there's dozens of things that could/need to be changed, but this is defenitely going to make the AI way easier then it should be until fixed.

also... AI flinging his only controlled planet at my planet when I control all other planets as well... not the brightest.
  2. timp13

timp13 Member

Just a couple words:
    1. We are well aware, these threads have been made before
    2. They will get better, this game is still Indev, they may also be too easy if you are not playing on the Annihilator difficulty. The speed at which the AI learns is much faster on this setting.
    3. If the second point is invalid (Already on Annihilator), then you may just be a good player.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Yupp. Everyone knows it. Uber knows it.

Uber is working on it.

As for multi-planet interaction, Uber is working on that as well. Getting an AI to assess threats on multiple planets and react accordingly is difficult.
    igncom1 likes this.
  4. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

2 mexes, 1 pgen, then factory is exactly what the AI does in multiplayer on Uber difficulty (aka unmodified). In Galactic War the AI's personality is messed with as well as it's economy handicap. Giving the AI less resources or setting it's personality to waste resources will cause it to compensate for its economic shortfall or make mistakes in its build order, respectively.

Not sure what the settings are for Galactic War, but it sounds like that is the cause of the odd AI behavior.
    Quitch, ArchieBuld and Pendaelose like this.
  5. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Explains a lot, but not all.

There's yet another few severe issues which become clear when playing with the limited unit sets and even more in the boss fights:

The AI is uncapable of dealing with armies larger than 30 units or so, and even when it has only T1 available, it will never surpass that number on it's own. I've seen the AI being alone on entire planets with heavily boosted economy, and yet it did only build 30 bombers and 12 anchors as well as about the same number of all ground units - and then it just stopped fortifying any further. (Note: It is possible that there were actually more units on each planet. But the AI did send at most that many units to react to a threat.)

And the second issue: The AI does not know how to play perform interplanetary assaults. In a single campaign, I shot down 3 or 4 commanders which were sent in on a sole Astreus without any support or scouting. The only other variation it seems to know about, is sending a single(!!!) engineer. Which will then steer through heavily fortified enemy terrain, build a regular factory and attempts to produce more engineers. Which of course results in triggering counter measures which will destroy any new engineer right away while the AI attempts to reproduce the destroyed engineer over and over again - instead of just producing the appropriate counter for the immediate threat first. Which again results in the destruction of the factory, the builder and the Astreus. Every single time.

WHY? Does the AI not know about portals? And why does the AI not know such basic tactics as deploying anchors in orbit for offensive purpose? Or sending larger groups of Astreus for the sake of increased survivability? Or backing up engineers with combat units?

And yet another flaw: The use of Avengers. The AI's behavior works fine as long as there is an enemy on the planet. But if the AI controls the entire planet as well as the orbit, it should do everything possible to secure the two orbital transfer nodes of each planet. These points are well known and they are the most efficient point to deploy the Avengers for minimum reaction time. Yet the AI resorts to the default behavior of parking Avengers right above the sole launcher on the whole planet, it's not even using them for patrols so sometimes even stationary radar satellites go unnoticed for several minutes...

Oh, and yet another flaw: The AI is unaware of the concept of deploying Umbrellas as a reaction to a direct threat by orbital units if no other means are available (say: Stock loadout in GW, which means no Avengers and no Anchors). So satellites are completely safe when you find a safe spot as the AI somehow classifies Umbrellas (as well as other "defensive" buildings) only as a fortification for valuable areas, but never as a direct counter for an immediate threat. (Only known exception: Nukes and the triggered construction of anti nukes.)
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  6. mrcurry

mrcurry New Member

While I agree that the things mentioned in your post needs fixing, the current answer to all would be: "it's not done yet".