ETA on support for latest ATI/AMD drivers?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Feedback and Issues' started by ymnc, February 1, 2011.

1. ymnc

ymnc New Member

Apparently the game only supports 10.8 or basically an older driver than what is currently supported.

Since I utilize the Steam driver updater, and I really rather avoid going through the motions of setting up an older driver, is there an ETA on this update to MNC?

I'm experiencing game freezes, and since my video card drivers are too new, I'd rather just wait, unless this is something so far down the line...
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Don't expect Uber to be able to make games that support driver versions; that's impossible. Nobody does that.

The problem is collectively your system; card, driver, operating system, DirectX, and anything else relevant.

I'm using the 11.1/2 beta drivers (something beta, it comes with a new CCC) on my HD4850 and it works perfectly fine. No crashes, no artefacts, no black effects.
  3. neg

neg New Member

i wish i could post to get my post count up, i like how you just make huge assumptions that everyones OS is the same as yours without actually knowing what the issue is
  4. BulletMagnet

I know someone on here is running Win XP with a HD6000 series card, and that drivers for that are scarce.

That's not my fault, and it's not Uber's either. Windows XP is in it's tenth year of life, and the HD6000s are in the order of ten weeks old.

The sad problem is that some people are going to have to change something on their end, and not expect a patch to fix everything for them.
  5. ymnc

ymnc New Member

You do understand the context of my question, right?
    from Steam Forums: Monday Night Combat Troubleshooting Guide
    I don't want to rollback my drivers, but if its going to be a long time before this is resolved, I will...but as it is, I prefer not to, as I utilize the steam ATI/AMD driver updater.

Unless I'm missing something, you're implying that this is due to my hardware/OS being too old, which I am running XP, but I have an ATI Radeon HD 4870 (not that old)...as I see it, its because there is some unresolved issue on Uber's end.
  6. BulletMagnet

I can't speak for what Uber is doing behind the scenes, but I suspects it's not much more than "we've found what the problem is, and been in contact with ATI, so hopefully the next driver will contain a fix."

Since ATI releases drivers every month, I'd hazard a guess and say the ETA could be the next driver update.

Still, if anyone from Uber says otherwise - take their word on it.
  7. R234

R234 New Member

MNC isn't supposed to support driver versions above 10.8? I'm using Catalyst driver 10.9 on my Radeon HD 4850 and the game runs perfect... For the record I have Windows XP SP3 32 bits running on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor.
  8. BulletMagnet

Like I said; it's a combination of things. I'm running 10.12 (was mistaken earlier, could have sworn I had one from this year) on a HD4850 and everything is fine for me.

10.8 seems to be an interim solution. Still, it's not going to kill you use an older driver. There's no need to treat driver updates like a religion.
  9. ymnc

ymnc New Member

The game locks up my PC requiring a reset, and I'm not sure what the issue is exactly as it might not be my video card/drivers. Before I can submit my dxdiag file, and patch log, etc., I'd have to at least rollback my drivers to 10.8 to see whether or not that is the issue....

Just rather not roll them back :)

Yeah I hear ya, I'm just lazy--don't feel like going to ATI/AMD's website, looking for the 10.8 drivers, downloading those drivers, uninstalling my current drivers, restarting, going into safe mode and running driver sweeper, restarting, installing 10.8 drivers, restarting :)
  10. roadkillgrill

roadkillgrill Active Member

I wonder if disabling the Catalyst AI or Crossfire (if applicable) would help. ATi drivers are really crappy NEVER update unless you need it. They tend to always break more to make their benchmarks look better.
  11. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

i downloaded the newest 11.1 i think it is, still displays as 10.12 though and it works fine....

still get the black clouds but meh, they aren't game breaking, not that annoying either
  12. R234

R234 New Member

Hey guys, I ran a little experiment on my end. As stated before I was using the 10.9 driver on my HD 4850 and the game ran fine. I tried updating to the newest drivers (oddly enough they displayed as 10.12 even though it was 11.1), and guess what? It completely broke MNC. I got random lockups anywhere from 2 seconds in to 5 minutes in. I then tried to rollback until I found a driver that worked with the game. In my case the highest version that works is 10.10, so that's the one I'm using right now.

Is that what's recommended to do? because all I did was run the 10.10 installer, clicked uninstall, then at the restart prompt clicked no and restarted the installer to install the new (older) driver, and then restarted, and it worked...
  13. ymnc

ymnc New Member

I was turned onto driver sweeper sometime back when I had issues with drivers (even though I ran uninstall utility) and it resolved the issue...can't recall what it was exactly anymore. As it stands, it could work with a simple uninstall, but when I remove drivers, I typically do this as it removes an extra step in case I have to do it anyways.

Any case, thanks for the heads up--that sounds similar to my issue, although you didn't say if it required a hard reboot/restart (in my situation, I have to hit the reset switch on my case).
  14. R234

R234 New Member

Yes, I also had to press the reset button, the computer completely locked up.