Foerest:

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by metaphaze, May 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Yeah, just leave the game.
    Quitch and PeggleFrank like this.
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

If someone wants to compromise their own fun, that's cool. If someone wants to ruin someone else' fun, that's an entirely different matter. People who do that don't deserve the privilege of having fun.
  3. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Yiss. Leave the game so he can get to control both comms, lose, join another similar game and do it again.
    Hur-dee-dur, endless cycle, etc.

Seriously, the best CoA in my honest opinion is for Uber to make a specific ban list for team games, where people like this go.
    It'd lower the number of douche bags and generally make random team games 90% more enjoyable.
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Would also force them to deal with support messages "wondering" why they've been banned.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  5. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Honestly, the "don't move my commander" is bull crap. We are in a team match where everything is shared, that includes commanders. Why people care so much as to complain and tell others to stop is beyond me.
    popededi, Quitch, metaphaze and 2 others like this.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

You kids. everytime there's a problem it's always "ban" "ban" "ban"!

Grow up! you don't need to ban anybody, you need to learn to cohabit with people.
  7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

If you guys really want to play with people you can trust, just play team games with people you know. It's not like this is a new problem on the internet; we've all seen trolls before and learned how to deal with or avoid them.

You're right, of course. In this case it looks like the other player was either playing correctly or made a simple legitimate mistake. I don't see any malice in that.
  8. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Make a spam folder for anything containing the phrase "banned for no reason" :p
    Geers likes this.
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Not with that attitude.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  10. Kola2

Kola2 Member

It is shared army, all yours is his, all his is yours.
    Have you been wondering that the reason he took over your comm is maybe because you started building things that was just not strategicly good?
    Also blowing up his comm to makes you the troll.
  11. metaphaze

metaphaze Member

neither of us had anything built yet, I'm not saying anyone is a troll.
    Dude wasn't a troll he was an idiot who thought both of the commanders were his to control right off the bat... anyone who thinks that sharing an army means i can control your commander off the start, come play with me, i'll take over all your stuff and you can sit there watching...
    morons
  12. metaphaze

metaphaze Member

Indeed, and moving someone else's commander and your commander and refusing to let them play is not being part of a TEAM.

i wouldn't have an issue with him moving my commander around, unless he's doing something dumb, but taking total control of the entire army that consists of two commanders and starting to build with one and refusing to let the other one build anything at all is plain retarded...
    stuart98 and websterx01 like this.
  13. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think the point the op made was that this guy insisted on controlling everything, not just the wrong com. I've had a similar experience, some of it comes from a lack of understanding of shared army mode.

People see the 2 commanders and assume they belong to them cause that's how it works in other games. What was more frustrating in my case was they guy taking over was blatantly less experienced than me. I spent the game giving him pointers and treated it as a coaching session cause he simply couldn't get his head around the fact we were sharing lol.
    metaphaze and PeggleFrank like this.
  14. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Yes. But let's say that the Commander is your alter ego in-game. Why an other players should be able to command my avatar?

I understand that it has been done that way since day zero. And I see pros and cons in both ways. Also, changing habits is often intimidating. Still, it may worth a try.

In fact, pressing "q" to select your Commander, also select all the Commanders in the same team. And at some point, with more than a dozen of players in the same team, some on different planets, may make no sense to select all Commanders anyway.

As an alternative, what about this: pressing "q" select your Commander only; pressing "Q" select all the Commanders in the team.
    corteks and metaphaze like this.
  15. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Active Member

Or, pressing "q" selects the nearest commander.

Your commander might be on a different planet, while somebody else's commander is right in front of you, and you need a metal storage built. Whether the commander in front of you is yours or not, it's a commander, and it'll do what you order.
  16. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Because you're in shared army mode, not alliances, the game allows it and unwritten rules can suck my
    popededi likes this.
  17. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I have no problem with the way shared army mode works- and if someone want's to use my progenitor (if they don't have it) that's also cool, it lets them try out a different com. The main issue is that in shared army mode people *have* to work together or it falls apart really quickly- and shared army mode is unusual in this genre (the only other game I've experienced it was in TA:Spring where it was a special mode- I liked it then, although usually with players I was at least familiar with).

I also think Cal has a really good point about commander selection hotkeys- I don't think it needs to select 'your' commander as you say Quitch it's all shared, however selecting the nearest commander (and *only* the nearest commander) makes much more sense. It needs to work the same as the 'select all of this unit type of screen' option. Selecting every commander on the map is going to cause problems and annoy you're team mates when you inadvertently cancel all their queues or run their commanders blindly into the enemy.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  18. Quitch

Well the very first thing people need to drop as a mindset is "their" commander. In shared armies there's no such thing. Ever. I'd prefer though that the commander hotkey rotated me between them rather than select them all, it would reduce accidents. God knows I've started enough of these games with the Autoselect mod enabled.
    brianpurkiss and PeggleFrank like this.
  19. trialq

trialq Post Master General

That mindset is the easiest to comprehend and the easiest to do in practice, especially with randoms and especially in early game. More complicated tactics requires more communication and coordination, something in short supply a lot of the time. A largely 'this is my comm' strat seems reasonable in this situation, damn near the only viable option imo.
    corteks likes this.
  20. Quitch

If you need to adopt a "this is my comm" stance then you shouldn't be playing shared armies, play alliances.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.