Desura support?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by hobarrera, June 13, 2013.

1. hobarrera

hobarrera New Member

I was wondering if there's any news regarding Desura support.

Desura is a game distribution platform. Thing of it like Steam but without DRM (and older Linux support).
    I use desura a lot. It allows one click installation of lots of games I've purcahsed on any of my PCs in a single click, without all the DRM (actually, desura even has a FLOSS client).
  2. antillie

antillie Member

I think the Ubernet launcher already fills this role in a DRM free way. I suppose Desura support couldn't hurt but it may not be worth the time to get it up and running when there are so many other things that need to be done.

I'm a pretty avid gamer and I have never even heard of Desura until I read your post.
  3. ubersoldier501

ubersoldier501 Member

I've seen Desura before, my brother uses it for a few games that haven't been added to Steam yet, and the only thing I can say is, how is it any different from Steam? The only one difference I noticed, as I've never used it myself, is that you can run the game without running the Desura client. You can just open up the install folder, and doubly click the game, and bam! It's running.

Like I said, I've never used it before, never had any need or desire to, but is there any other differences in it comparative to Steam?
  4. Causeless

Causeless Member

The more distribution platforms, the better imo.
  5. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Aye, what causeless said.

... but probably only after the game is finished it seems. :mrgreen:
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Depends.

If we put a page on Desura, about alpha and beta and game release, and the kickstarter campaign and the intended goal... will we get a forum full of raging Desura folk upset about alpha costing $90?

If so, f*** em.

Meh, my apologies, but honestly I think the idea is good to include as functional with Desura using a key you can have generated here, however honestly after the whole Steam thing, I don't think it is good to put this game on offer yet on any other sites... just allowed as a platform of support.
  7. hobarrera

hobarrera New Member

As I said, Desura is DRM free. Steam IS pure DRM. A lot of people would rather aviod steam for political/philosofical reasons.
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Steam is not pure DRM? You can play games whilst offline, the Steam forced DRM was changed a year or so ago at least. Do you need to run the client however to play your games...? Yes, but you can play them offline, though sometimes it derps up and you cannot but that's not on purpose. The older versions had it to where, to play offline, you needed to go into offline mode first (Before going offline) which was silly, but it's not like that anymore. I'd be up for Desura support though.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Nifty.

Would be cool if it were added.

But there's plenty of places it's already sold. Uber store (DRM Free), Steam, Origin, and at least two or three deals sites.

But hey. One more would be cool!
  10. hobarrera

hobarrera New Member

This is not correct. Steam still enforces DRM.

I've a quite clear (and real) example: When I run the Steam client on my laptop, it prompts me to log onto Steam. Steam stated they do not support IPv6 (beats me why they refuse to, but still), but my LAN only has IPv6 (and NAT64), so Steam fails to connect. Since it's prompting me to log in, I can't even pick the "offline" mode. I'm required to connect to [unreachable] server to unlock my already-installed games. DRM at it's finest.

My only solution is to travel back to 2013 when I still had native-IPv4, but transitioning IPv6->IPv4 isn't a very attractive idea honestly, not during these times, and it's not entirely up to me either.
  11. squishypon3

Well you need to log in once, then save the information of your profile onto the computer through the settings, then it will allow you to play through offline mode at any time. I should know, I used to play my computer on the bus, plane, etc... or any other place without internet, played a bunch of Fallout. ;)
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

lol you forget desura is mainly used by linux users.....

You know? those guys who are craving for games to finally start turning towards them so bad that they'd throw all of the cash they have at them if they did?

Even if just to start having the wind in their backs and the pride of being able to tell off 'people' (windows fanboys) who spread hurt by saying the only exact thing they know about linux : "it doesn't have games".

NO, I agree, if ORIGIN of all things is included, why the hell not Desura?

where are our complaints about the drone Origin forum dwellers?
  13. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

A few things about Electronic Software Distribution (ESD) deals:
    I have a giant list of ESD deals I've been working on. Desura is that list.
    There are a number of business reasons that influence whether we can come to a signed agreement with an individual ESD. I'm not going to elaborate.
    We actually signed with Desura (IndieRoyale) on 2/26. We had a stuck process that appears now to be unstuck so hopefully this will lead to our game showing up.
    hobarrera, tatsujb, Remy561 and 4 others like this.
  14. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Awesome. Good choice too.

My post above, it was honestly a joke. |'.'/ The Servers Are Down Raise Your Dongers \'.'| type threads originating from steam forums on this game that somehow have a raging vendetta over PA that they have to try to hurt the game somehow, those get to me, but overall the more markets available the more open the game is to the people interested in joining in on it. Always a good thing, glad to see this. Perhaps I will get Desura on my Linux OS. I only assume it will work with my current purchase of the game on my Uber account, although no gurantees that is true, but if not there is always the Uber or Go launcher.
    tatsujb likes this.
  15. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

I know that this is your own thread, but this is is almost a year old now. Why not just make a new post?

OT: The more distribution platforms, the better. At least until you have so many that it become difficult to keep all versions up to date.
  16. squishypon3

Oh wow, I had no idea it was this ancient... Well, why not Necro it? It never went of track.
    hobarrera likes this.
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

and it got positive closure one post above your's @spainardslayer : /